• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Cajun Country Checkmates

Its Over

Lookin like its over for this year, we are back to fishin. Now i can get some work done on my boat. I really need to find a carb 150 for it. Ill be gettinga top for it and going to make a mount for the radio. I'vw been tryin to get a factory top but havnt had much luck finding someone who can sell me one. If anyone knows who might can get a factory top let me know please. Man I wish i could make it fishin tomorrow. This cold front should really kick them up. Well I'll be fishin in my other boat a "Dauntles" its a Whaler.
Catch Y'all later
Hookedup!

I don't know about "over". Maybe it is for water sports, but I will be river cruising for awhile yet. I still want to come explore the E. Pearl like you've suggested. Fishing sounds good, too. I fished two trips weekend before last out of Delacroix. It was windy, but I was fishing with a good captain who put us on fish. Lots of specks and a couple of reds.

That was some nasty weather that rolled through here yesterday, wasn't it?

Really Bad

Yeah it was really bad weather, glad nothing I own got wet. Well when this little cool front moves on we might take the Trimate out. Dont know what they are calling for this weekend but anything over low 70'S I might be able to talk Ms Hook into it. One of the things I have to get to work on is making a cover to go over the front seats to cut some of that wind down. My Trimate is a bow rider. We are going to the Voo Doo fest this weekend so we cant make it this weekend. But there mgiht be some warm weekends left this year.
Catch you later
Hookedup

Damit!!! I may be in my 40's, but I'm still into the Rage!!! LoL! I would have loved to go to Voodoo for Sunday's line up, but I didn't want to fork out for a weekends worth. Anyway, I know your gonna have a great time. I am off this weekend and just may make it over to your neck of the woods for a little beach exploring.

Get a local upholstery shop to make you a bow cover using Sunbrella canvas. I know a chick here in Kenner that can do some nice stuff and she's not extremely expensive. I used to run my Chaparrel bow rider all year round w/a bow cover. It was nice. I don't have that issue with the Exciter now, but I can't wait to redo the inside and lower the seats a bit.

BACK AT IT !!!

Hey whats up, been working my boat this winter and looks like we are ready to get it on. Just put new pistons in my motor, made a top for it that snaps to the windshield and a cover for the front BR seats. plus alot of little odds and ends. We will be on the EAST Pearl River @ HWY 90 this weekend breaking it in. Im going to be working on putting 10 hours on it so we will be running up and down the river all day. From the TEST SITE to the mouth of the EAST PEARL RIVER by the L+M Railroad bridge. South of HWY-90 about a mile or so, on the left is a Sand Beach we will be at off and on during the day. The weather looks like it might hold out, If tomorrow looks cloudy and Sunday looks better we may wait till sunday to go but then I am really itchin to go so Im 99% sure we will be out there tomorrow. Look us up if you get a chance.
hookedup.

Sup, hookedup?

Won't make this weekend for sure. Got no floor in the boat at the moment. Redoing the floor and stringers.

Thought about ya a few weeks back. Went fishing out of the Rigolets. Luanched in Goghegan Canal and fished around the area. Didn't make it to the L&M bridge. It was pretty windy that day and we were in an 18' flat.

We'll catch up this spring..

Fishing has been great

we have been somkin-em for the past 2 weeks, and yes the wind is an issue. once you get down to the L+M you in more protected waters. Its not too bad once you know how get down there, Ive been in 4 foot waves in there it dose get turned up with a south east wind or a north west. The east pearl launch is only a few more miles down hwy 90 from were you launched at. Keep heading east to you get to the last bridge the launch is on the right of the foot of the bridge at the state line. You can get down to the L+M from the east pearl then cut through the east west pass and your right there. There are a few different ways to get down to it. We are just getting started for the season, we'll be out there plenty more. We hang on the river on the weekends and fish during the week but that isnt writen in stone.
Floor and stringer been there done that a few times be thankful its not the transom too, but thats not bad to do either.
Get ta Glassin and get back in the water. I've got a house down from where you launched so we'll be around

I don't fish as much as I'd like to. Just don't get the chance. I've had my neighbors fishin' boat sittin' in my back yard for a couple of months now. Used it once. Boss asked me to go this weekend. Lafitte or something. Gonna try to get all my "stuff" done today....when I get off work...so I can make it. I'm going to make an effort this spring/summer to spend more time fishing and less time working...lol.

Checkin in from Metairie, seconds from Bonnabel boat launch. When the Lake Pontchartrain cooperates, it's a great place to run. I too spend many days at the Beach, with my two kids, 14 and 16. We also make an annual trek to Lake Martin in northern AL. Lake Martin is a little piece of heaven on earth. Got out last weekend to make sure my baby still runs, a perfect Saturday, running from the length of the Causeway, there and back, and a trip to the intracoastal waterway. I'll look for you guys out there this spring and summer. I see some of you also ride motorcycles. I have a Triumph Thunderbird and a Honda S2000 (closest thing to a motorcycle with 4 wheels). By the way, look for a Pulsare 1850, bowrider with a Merc 175, white hull with red flames.

John

Hey John. I knew there was at least one more Mate local. Grew up right on the levee at the end Marseilles Pl. (acroos from Fat City area). Used to get out of school and my two buds and I would luanch my 19' Galaxy at Bonnabel and blast over ti the inner harbor navigational canal and in to Bayou Bienvenue and ski until the sun would go down. We'd throw out a ski rope as soon as we turned into the MrGo. Did that for years.

Your right about the lake and our boats. Sure gotta pick your days. My last boat was a 19' Chapparell w/a V8 car motor. It was more comfortable in the average Lake Ponchatrian water. Spent alot of time in the two coves at the beach, ourselves. Here's a couple shots. My son...at "the beach" and my last boat on the sandbar outside of the Tickfaw River in Lake Maurepas.

BoatAustintheFrog.jpg

MyBoat.png

Hey John. I knew there was at least one more Mate local. Grew up right on the levee at the end Marseilles Pl. (acroos from Fat City area). Used to get out of school and my two buds and I would luanch my 19' Galaxy at Bonnabel and blast over ti the inner harbor navigational canal and in to Bayou Bienvenue and ski until the sun would go down. We'd throw out a ski rope as soon as we turned into the MrGo. Did that for years.

Your right about the lake and our boats. Sure gotta pick your days. My last boat was a 19' Chapparell w/a V8 car motor. It was more comfortable in the average Lake Ponchatrian water. Spent alot of time in the two coves at the beach, ourselves. Here's a couple shots. My son...at "the beach" and my last boat on the sandbar outside of the Tickfaw River in Lake Maurepas.

BoatAustintheFrog.jpg

MyBoat.png

In 2007 I lived in Walker LA for 3-4 months loved the food and the people sold all to move there from Indiana but the love part fell through so I stayed in Indiana............ Now rebuilding what I lost and sold ~winks~ I love that Cajun way of life.

Workin on IT.

Hey whats up, hope eveyone is havin a good time. I put new pistons in my motor and just got it broke in (10 hours double oil) and was back on the East Pearl last thursday running it. BUT on the way back to the launch it fried. So yesterday I took it off and im going to put my spare motor on it. I went and bought a jack plate for it, so as soon as it gets here we will be back out there. The river has been nice the last few times we were out. Pulled the seat and gas tank out today and cleaned up the holes all im waiting for now is UPS to show up. We ought to be back at it weekend after next if not before.
Fishing has sucked, the wind has been killer. I bought a new trolling motor for the fishing boat and installed it but have only had chance to try it out. Between breaking in this moter, kids and the wind we havnt had chance to make it out. Watch there to open the spillway and shut down fishing just about the time I get finished workin on my boats and the winds start to lay down.
This weekend we are going to try and hit the Quarter Fest. Forget the Strawberry Fest there is WAY to may people that go to it now. We went last year and there was so many people you couldnt walk. So we are going to try and hit the QT Fest, if it dont rain.
Well we should be back on the river shortly, even if we cant get out in the checkmate We still have a Dauntles that works just fine for hanging on the river also, it even came with a ski bar LOL.
Let us know whats up maybe everyone can Hookup on the East Pearl soon

Hookedup !!!

Sorry to hear about your motor, dude. That kind of sucks. I bet i don't have 10 hours on mine yet. Maybe a tank and a half of double oil. My boat is still down however. I'm almost done glassing the floor back in. I haven't had time to touch it in a couple of weeks, however. Kids and work taking up all of my time, too. I'd like to lay some more mat this evening, but my son has ball practice. Gymnastics just ended last weekend for my daughter and his baseball started this week. Imagine that!! Anyway, when I get finished the floor, stringers, and kness will all be "Coosa Board" which is a fiberglass reinforced polyurethane foam. Very light and will never rot.

I'm off Firday. I'm going to try to get some glass layed on the floor Friday morning and then it's off to French Quarter fest. I hope it doesn't rain becuase I prefer to ride the bike down there for parking reasons. Prolly park right out front of Johnny Whites on St. Peter across from Pat O's side entrance. Bonerama is palying Friday night on the Riverfront stage from 7:30 until 9:00. Bruce Daigrepont is before them from 5:30-7:00. I want to check them out, too but they are all the way down at the old U.S. Mint stage by Esplande. Gonna be a hike. Tell ya what, I'll wear my S&F t-shirt. Holla if ya see me out there.

I have family up in Ponchatoula so I'll try to make Strawberry Fest Saturday or Sunday. We'll be hanging out at a frineds house right across the street from the fairgrounds berlin' sum dads.....

What about the Tickfaw 200 on May 3??? Hope my chit is back together by then. T-Rex has a camp right across from the Prop Stop. I'll have the kids on board that weekend if I can make it, but it'll be fun for them. My son has already been to one in the past.

Hey whats up?d
Got my backup motor on and put a CMC Joack Plate on too boot. Man what a difference. Its running good but I need some more prop, We went out on the East Pearl today, talk about nice weather, cool and no wind, allot of people down by the sand bar. Wish I had went fishin! Maybe now I can get back to fishin now the Trimate has a motor back on it.
looks like it back on for me, look us up we'll be around.
Hookedup !!!!!!

Been Busy

Alot has been going on around here havnt had time to post, family issues. Have been going out, but most of my time has been fishing. It has sucked with the spillway open but its getting better. We have been on the E Pearl quite a few times. Hope you have boat back together. Check in and let us know whats up.
Hookedup

I hope things get better for you. Keep your chin up. Everything will work out in time, I'm sure.

I have not been in Lake Ponchatrain since the spillway was opened. I've heard good and I've heard bad. I spoke with Capt. Dee Goehagan yesterday at the shop and he said they are doing well at the Hwy 11 trestle, but you have to move around a bit and find some green water. He said they've been doing better on the southshore end of it. That's where this trout are, anyway. I bet it's alot harder over by the Rigolets by you to find clean water, though.

I'm going to take the kids and try out the Amite Diversion Canal one day this weekend. I've been running the Blind River this year and enjoying the lack of boat traffic, but haven't turned up the Amite to see whats up there these days even though I know it will be very busy. I haven't been over that way in years. Mostly here on the Southshore in the Lake, or over on the Tickfaw River on the northside of Lake Maurepas. We'll see though. I've been shut out the last few weekends for various reasons, myself. I know the kids are itching to go. Oh, I have finished the boat.

CONGRATS ON FINISHING THE BOAT JALLEN
GO GET HER WET AND TAKE SOME PICS
GONNA TRY TO MAKE IT DOWN THIS SUMMER I WANT TO RIDE THE EAST PEARL
IF I MAKE IT WE WILL HAVE TO MEET UP AND AIR OUT THE MATES:bounce:

I'm certainly glad it's done and am very happy with the results. Now If I can just find a money tree to fund it's operation. It was fun enough financing the resto projocet. Now it's $4.00 a gallon for boat fuel and $5.00 a gallon for diesel for the tugger. Makes it kind of tough on a po boy! Kind of glad I've got that 'lil 2 liter now.. :) It does pretty good on fuel as long as I keep my foot out of it.

How's your boat coming along?

If I get out this weekend (now it's suppose to rain) I'll probably catch up with c10seven and get some pics of his (new to him) Starflight with the 'fridgerator on the back and some of mine, as well.

Let's see. With you, hookedup, c10seven and myself, that's at least four "active" Checkmate owners down here now. there's another fella down here actively searching for another egg beater powered Mate, as well. Yeah, we should have a get together this summer. I've been wanting to head east over to the Pearl myself. that's another river I haven't been on in years and have never boated on the east Pearl that hookedup is speaking of.

THE DIP IS SOOOOOOOO MUCH OF A HAND FULL NOW I PUT A 175 ECM IN THE 2.5 AND CUT THE HEADS AND AM SPINNING A 27P YAMMI DRAG TO THE MOON
GOT TO GET SOME SOLID MOUNTS AND HYD STEERING OR AT LEAST A NFB DUAL CABLE WHEN FUNDS ALLOW
HAVENT GPS IT YET BUT HAVE A BUDDY WITH A CAJUN WE GPS AT 70 LAST SUMMER AND I AM BLOWING THE STICKERS OFF THE SIDE OF HIS BOAT WITH THROTTLE TO SPARE
CANT TOP HER OUT TILL I GET THE MOUNTS AND THE STEERING DUN UP THE CHINE WALK WILL MAKE YOU SH!$ YOURSELF
LOVE THE PERFORMANCE OF THE 2.5 AND THE TORQUE IS OUT OF THIS WORLD BUT IT USES ALOT MORE GAS THAN MY LITTLE2.0 DID AND IT DONT SOUND NEAR BOUT AS GOOD
IF I HAD KNOWN THE MPG WAS GONNA BE SO BAD I WOULDN'T HAVE SHAVED THE HEADS PREM GAS IS $4.23 A GAL HERE RIGHT NOW
GLAD TO SEE THE SOUTHERN MATES GROWIN THOUGH
AND SCREW THE RAIN YOU'LL STILL BE ON THE WATER:bigthumb:

Back