• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Cajun Country Checkmates

I'm certainly glad it's done and am very happy with the results. Now If I can just find a money tree to fund it's operation. It was fun enough financing the resto projocet. Now it's $4.00 a gallon for boat fuel and $5.00 a gallon for diesel for the tugger. Makes it kind of tough on a po boy! Kind of glad I've got that 'lil 2 liter now.. :) It does pretty good on fuel as long as I keep my foot out of it.

How's your boat coming along?

If I get out this weekend (now it's suppose to rain) I'll probably catch up with c10seven and get some pics of his (new to him) Starflight with the 'fridgerator on the back and some of mine, as well.

Let's see. With you, hookedup, c10seven and myself, that's at least four "active" Checkmate owners down here now. there's another fella down here actively searching for another egg beater powered Mate, as well. Yeah, we should have a get together this summer. I've been wanting to head east over to the Pearl myself. that's another river I haven't been on in years and have never boated on the east Pearl that hookedup is speaking of.

Whats this rain stuff you speak of, I'm gonna have to check the weather, I will be pissed if I cant take "Flite" this weekend as I will be out of town again next week for a truck show.

Sounds like you got yourself and purdy strong 'lil 2.5 there. I'm down in the 23-24P range but haven't tried any Yami's to date though I'd like to.

I know what you mean about the chining getting your attention. First time out in mine was with a single cable and it sure got my attention quick. I installed a new nfb dual cable rotary and between that and better setup with a 10" adjustable plate getting the motor back and up where it likes being, it's alot easier to drive. The solid mounts are a consideration of mine, as well. I don't think I'm going there with this motor, though. I'm in the 60-65 mph range with it. Most of the time I can run wot with my hands off the wheel. Sometimes, however, I'm trying to stay ahead of the walk. I blame that on the mounts, but it's not that prevalent of a probelm for me now.

I think if I were you, at those speeds, I'd go with the solids and hydraulic. I've never driven a fast boat with a dual cable rack, but I'm wondering if it might have a tighter feel than does my dual cable rotary setup.

We are going to the East Pearl this sunday 9/16/07. There is a nice sand beach about a mile south HWY 90 and there is about 10 miles of nice river north of HWY 90. We were on the West Pearl two weeks ago it was the lower West Pearl below I-1O and a little North of I-10,alot of beaches north of the I-10 but the river is narrow. The West Pearl at the locks is ok but its not very long between the locks and its narrow. Last time I was there the Launch is really bad I dont know if thats changed, it was pre-K. Check this out this is where we will be launching Sunday http://www.weather.com/weather/map/...imation=true&zoom=7&interactiveMapLayer=radar
The launch is located on HWY 90 at the state line, off to the right before you go over the bridge. Its a nice state launch. We too have kids sometimes and just so happans this sunday we are taking them skiing, the weather is going to be great. We will be in our 79 Blue Flake Trimate II. Maybe we will see you there, if not the year next year for sure, I've been hanging out on that river for over 30 years.
Hookedup

Hey Hookedup,

Is there any place to get a bite to eat on the E. Pearl or is it B.Y.O.F. The weather's looking very good tomorow and my fishin' rig's got issues. I'm thinking of taking the little lady out for some lunch on the water while simultaniously putting some breakin hours on the new 2-fo. :cheers

If not, I may trailer across the Causeway and put in at the Madisonville launch and grab something to eat at T-Rivers or Morton's Seafood. :drool:

whats kickin

hey whats up you still around how is that boat we have been out a few time on the east pearl river weither has been great been kinda busy with life but im back for now check in and leave a post ill be checking back maybe you can make it to the pearl one day hookedup

Yo bro! Glad your still around. Wasn't sure whether or not a gator got ya, or sumpin. We're going to get over your way in a few weeks. Been busy fishing alot lately. Haven't had the Mate out of the garage since out trip to Fla. a few weeks back. Kind of feeling the need for speed though. Been spending too much time on bay boats and kayaks. Almoast took a quick blast in the lake yesterday evening. The winds were being kind, but I just didn't feel like having to cleaning up after such a "quickie".

I miss Cajun country.... I lived in Walker LA for 5 months in 2007 ~ loved the food and the people ~ ( to bad my lil cajun queen, didn't love me as much as I did her lol ).. Hey send me some Crawfish up here ;)

or send a fiesty lil cajun gal lol ~ when I get back to work I'm gonna come down to New Oleans for a visit.

Well, maybe I am the newest Checkmate owner in these parts! Anyone getting together in the next few weeks? While my boat obviously is not ready for the water, I would still like to hook up with some folks to compare notes.

I live in Mandeville... Work at Moisant...

Bill

Welcome to the Cajun Mates section. There are not alot of us down this way. I'm in Metaire. There's another member here from Metairie, but I've never met him and he doesn't post here much..if at all. There's another in the Slidell area and he and i and a couple of more folks have been running the East Pearl River as it is not nearly as crowded as the other rivers in the area. There are also a couple of Mates over in the Prairieville area. 1 Starflite and a Predictor currently undergoing a nice resto. All these guys pop in here from time to time. As for our local gethering info, we can often be found over here, too.... http://www.bayouboaters.com/forum/index.php

i live in pineville, la new to checkmates well truth be told new to boats but in less then three months i now own two one picked up this week when I went to buy an old 750 jet ski from a guy and he had the hull on a trailor in his yard. I not had any one out both projects:(. I first one i got i picked up in homa with a 150 sazuki on the back and was told it was a 1980 diplomat but it is an eluder about the same year. it was roting away but the hull was in good shape and the price was right and I just loved how the old checked looked. now I am hooked. going to restore it from the ground up may give the other to my brother-in-law and work on the as well. may sell it;) it is a mx-16 maybe 74 model but not for shure. transum no more and a hole in the hull the size of a golf ball that probably did this one in originally. been stripped and left for dead.:shakehead: anyways left my camera at a friends with all the pics on it sorry probably get it back today sometime i hope. thinking of putting a 235 rude i got on the eluder and the 150 sazuki on the mx-16 interested in seeing which one be faster:bounce:. james boyd:thumb:

they have one now in alexandria la at a car lot it rough shape and they are asking alot but I been trying to get it down it has a 150 back max on the back i think and it is propably a 1980 model about 18 1/2 long if i was to guess.

18' could be an Exciter. Any more info on it? Be sure and stop by http://www.bayouboaters.com/forum/index.php We have 4 Checkmate owners there already. With your two, that would make 6. We'd have more Checkmates on that board than any other brand if you did. That's saying something considering it's a "general" boating forum in Lousiana and Checkmates were never as popular in the south as they have been up north.

Doesn't look like anyone's posted here in a while, but I just picked up a '78 Predictor. Runs great but I'm gonna take it all apart this winter and redo a bunch of stuff on it. I'm in Slidell, LA. :D

Doesn't look like anyone's posted here in a while, but I just picked up a '78 Predictor. Runs great but I'm gonna take it all apart this winter and redo a bunch of stuff on it. I'm in Slidell, LA. :D

I'm still around...kind of. Sold my 'Mate and now own a bay boat.

Brett is from B.R. and is currently redoing a Predictor, also. He posts here sometimes and also over on Bayou Boaters.

Also hookedup is not far from you in Pearlington?? Look him up. Good guy!

Cajun Country

Hi All

I just noticed the Cajun Country Blog going around and Glad to see it.

I'm currently restoring an 83 Predictor and Hope to get into the water this summer soon as possible. Its all new so the learning curve is great but clipping right along. I have found a very usefull posting by AdamBomb on there restoration and it has been a real help. I'm down into the Balsa right now and cant wait to get it coming back together, its been very exciting. I have allways liked the Checkmate boats and feel fortunate to have found one in Plaquemine close to home. I run False River in New Roads and Old river as well. I'm no stranger to the Maurepas area and hope to make a trip with fellow checkies some day. I know the Lake Bash is a fun event but this 16.6" Predictor may be a little too small for tha venue. But I will give that diversion canal a try some time.

:thumb:

I just finished my restore last summer....there are still a couple things left to do. I was hoping the Checkmate owners from Cajun Country were going to be getting together this summer.

Im from Covington, just the other day I noticed there was another checkmate owner having his Predictor painted by the guy of LA 59. Anyway, hope we can get something together.

Im from Covington, just the other day I noticed there was another checkmate owner having his Predictor painted by the guy of LA 59. Anyway, hope we can get something together.

That's mine. :D I had a trailer incident :brickwall: and they're doing the fiberglass repair on it as well as the transom and floor. I'm going to paint it and put everything back together myself. They're supposed to be done with it in the next couple weeks, and I imagine I'll finish with it a couple months after that.

"Cajun Country"

Sounds Like we all have our hands in the reconstruction phase right now. Maybe by late summer we'll all be runnin and can do something then. Its good to hear from all and I wish all well with the boat projects.:thumb:

Still Hangin

Been some time sense ive been around. Im still hanging on the East Pearl River by HWY 90. Been busy with the new house. Lookin for other checkmates all the time to hang out on the Pearl, by the lower sand bar, or the tree swing by the I-10 Bridge. Be on the look out for 17 foot, 79 trimate, blue and silver metal flake, with a gray top and ski bar that will be me. Ill try and keep checkin back. C-YA on the EAST PEARL,,,,,,,,,,
P.S. May be willing to sell both my boats to the right person, have a mint AND I mean MINT 79, 17' TRIMATE AND a MINT 16' DAUNTLES Boston Whaler, the Whaler for sure I want to sell both kept inside their whole life leave a post and keep an eye out for HOOKEDUP on the Pearl.

Back