• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

elbow grease...

SOX

Some of you may know I bought my '96 253 in December. The boat is clean but it does not look like the old owner was much for waxing the boat so the gel was fading some. My wife an I spent All day Sunday bringing back the finish....

Before.

Attachments

• Spring cleaning 2010 001.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Spring cleaning 2010 003.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Spring cleaning 2010 005.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 005.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 44
after,

Attachments

• Spring cleaning 2010 012.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 012.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Spring cleaning 2010 016.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 016.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 39
  • Spring cleaning 2010 018.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 018.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 39
my helper for the day, my wife of nearly 16 years (on Friday)

Attachments

• Spring cleaning 2010 006.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 006.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Spring cleaning 2010 007.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 007.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Spring cleaning 2010 009.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 009.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 60
Not quite satified with the finish yet but it came a long way, I am sure with a little more time and a few more coats it will be back to new soon enough. Now it is time to rename the boat, We are not very creative but we have a few ideas. My wife and kids are equestrians so we may go with a horse related theme, any ideas?

Peace,
Rob

before and after side by side.

BTW is that a teal or green on the boat? I think I am a little bit color blind. Before I polished the boat it looked teal but not it looks more green to me.

Attachments

• Spring cleaning 2010 003.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 003.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Spring cleaning 2010 015.jpg
    Spring cleaning 2010 015.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
thanks! we used Meguiar's # 49 Oxidation remover
#45 Polish
#63 Flagship premium wax

All applied with a west marine buffer and remove by hand.

I never really have read anyone recommend Meguiar's but it worked on my old boat so why not this one.

BTW I got a keeper in that wife of mine, she still gets me all jammed up everytime I look at her :drool:

thanks! we used Meguiar's # 49 Oxidation remover
#45 Polish
#63 Flagship premium wax

All applied with a west marine buffer and remove by hand.

I never really have read anyone recommend Meguiar's but it worked on my old boat so why not this one.

BTW I got a keeper in that wife of mine, she still gets me all jammed up everytime I look at her :drool:

Sox that's an outstanding job on the gelcoat, looks great!!! I've used Meguiars as well to bring back a black gelcoat on my other mate. Check out this link: http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13528

Reactions: SOX
heres a few,

They don't directly have horse (but they all have equine roots) in the name and they go back to anciant mythogy But there are a ton of them,Please don't ask how I remember this stuff,BUT...

Heres a few:

Aethon= burning fiery. He was one of the horses of the sun god Helios.

Aherin= lord of horses

Centaur =Half horse /half man, with a nasty disposition.

Neptunis= lord of the horses and the sea.

Arion= had somethingn to do with hurculese and neptune, But that escapes me right now you can look that one up.

Nice job Sox!

The boat looks great.:drool: It appears that the boat is in a better place now.:surf:

Congrats on the 16 years! Not many people make it that far these days.

HD

Thanks everyone for the compliments and the boat names. All of them are real good, I'll stew on it a bit longer so we'll see. I hope it is not bad luck but I took off the old name so the area could be cleaned up along withthe rest of the boat. I found that the old owner removed three snaps for the cockpit cover for the lettering. I am going to West Marine to replace them as well as some others that are beat up. I don't understand why he wouldn't have put them back in after he applied the lettering. The old name was "AGITATOR" which is not a bad name just not really me.

Thanks again,
Rob

Attachments

• Checkmate 005.jpg
    Checkmate 005.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 14
I don't think the name removal is bad luck, its the re-naming that requires a the whole ceremony. When you de-name a boat, you should remove anything that has that name on it from the boat- if I remember right? I'm not sure about things that are stored off the boat, like files or paperwork with the name on it.

I de-named "Junior" my 21 sb, but have a file with the name on it in the house and still kinda like it for a name- I dunno if I'll use it

Back