• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Fuel tank corrosion and pitting

I have to call Moeller tomorrow they have tanks listed on their site that are not listed in my book and I have tanks in my book that are not listed their site. It's not looking like there is a match up so far. I will know more tomorrow.

MK

No one was in at Moeller Friday, I left a message for Cindy Smith to call me back, I am thinking they may have some fuel tank sizes that ar not listed, Most single engine boats have close to the same distance between the stringers for Chevy engine mounting I will have to start putting a tape on more of them.
I ran into this before and ended up having a new aluminum tank made, I never called moeller before. I'm hoping for good news tomorrow.

MKHammer

Ok I got a hold of moeller today, It seems they are shutting down until Jan 4th, I also have another source for tanks Oceanlink, But I can't talk to them until next year either.
here are 2- links http://www.oceanlinkinc.com/tanks/gas-diesel.htm

http://www.moellermarine.com/oem/fuel_tanks/
Ocean link makes more sizes than moeller But this is a crap load of fuel tanks. I will have to sort this out the after the first. If you guys find one that will work meanwhile let me know.
I will contact these guys when they are off Holiday.

MKHammer

I had a guy that does welding for a living look at my tank, it wasn't bad enough to replace it. I guess for a piece of mind I shouldv'e replaced it.

Mk hammer that's the best price for a tank I've seen so far. The problem is that's it's too tall. The dimensions are 5" on the side 22" wide and 60" long, it's a 50 gallon tank. The tank looks like this:http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...Deck-Fuel-Tanks&aID=601R2&merchID=1009&r=view

I just checked the height on the gas tank the max we can go is 10" from the bottom for the floor to cover it.
I came up with a moller FT3305 keel tank 21.75 wide 59.5 long 8" center and 7" sides
but it's 33 gal. $390.00
Also a moller FT3308 would fit but still 33 gal.
Are you sure your tank is 50 gal the reason I ask is the dimensions are not so different.

And one other made by Inca 60-1/4 L. 22-1/4W 8.75 cen. 5-7/8 sides 40 gal

MKHammer

I came up with a moller FT3305 keel tank 21.75 wide 59.5 long 8" center and 7" sides
but it's 33 gal. $390.00
Also a moller FT3308 would fit but still 33 gal.
Are you sure your tank is 50 gal the reason I ask is the dimensions are not so different.

And one other made by Inca 60-1/4 L. 22-1/4W 8.75 cen. 5-7/8 sides 40 gal

MKHammer

Yes it's fifty gallon tank, right on the tag. I'll get a picture for you later. I'm at work right now.

Yes it's fifty gallon tank, right on the tag. I'll get a picture for you later. I'm at work right now.

This is all That's out there I checked with 3- different manufactures. The 50 gal tanks are 24" wide. I suppose you will have to go back to aluminum to have 50 gal.

MKHammer

This is all That's out there I checked with 3- different manufactures. The 50 gal tanks are 24" wide. I suppose you will have to go back to aluminum to have 50 gal.

MKHammer

Damn I forgot to take a pciture of the tag. MK thanks for looking, I do know that the stringers are 24" inside to inside. But don't you have to allow for expansion. My guess would be to adjust the stringers in that area to accommodate the newer tanks.

Damn I forgot to take a pciture of the tag. MK thanks for looking, I do know that the stringers are 24" inside to inside. But don't you have to allow for expansion. My guess would be to adjust the stringers in that area to accommodate the newer tanks.
I would not think you need expansion room for the tank because its vented to the atmosphere.

Robbie,

found the book I wrote measurements in; double checked the numbers by remeasuring my fuel tank.

gallons 50

Length 62"
Width 24 3/8"
OA height 7 3/4"
Side height 5"
Bottom width 6"

Looks like our tanks are a little different....... interesting?

I'll be looking at a couple of fabricators here locally and see what a custom tank will cost me. I still havn't contacted CM to see what current costs are on a new tank. I'll need to be sure of the dimensions before I set the stringers. That would really blow, to glass my new stringers in, only to find my "new" tank from the CM factory had different dimensions.:brickwall:

Robbie,

found the book I wrote measurements in; double checked the numbers by remeasuring my fuel tank.

gallons 50

Length 62"
Width 24 3/8"
OA height 7 3/4"
Side height 5"
Bottom width 6"

I'll be looking at a couple of fabricators here locally and see what a custom tank will cost me. I still havn't contacted CM to see what current costs are on a new tank. I'll need to be sure of the dimensions before I set the stringers. That would really blow, to glass my new stringers in, only to find my "new" tank from the CM factory had different dimensions.:brickwall:

That's interesting. My tank was the same length but taller and not as wide.

MKHammer

I wrote the number down from your website; who do I ask for? I need to explore a few options here locally but I may be able to work with a plastic tank. Height may be my biggest problem. I'll be at the storage facility where my boat is stored sometime tomorrow; I'll get a measurement from the top of my stringers to the hull and see what I have to work with.

So does that mean your going to stop bench racing and have another entry into your blog:poke:;)

Nothing ground breaking; My plans for this winter regarding the Enforcer are to get my cuddy partitions rebuilt; fuel tank rebuilt or replaced; cockpit rail built; artwork for graphics on paper; and possibly build engine/transom bracket w/ integrated swim platform. Have a few things to do on the Crownline as well. I'll be busy, but just doing piece work that dosn't require having the boat here at the house.

Robbie,

gallons 50

Length 62"
Width 24 3/8"
OA height 7 3/4"
Side height 5"
Bottom width 6"

I just double checked the width dimension on the tank, 24 3/8" wide and from the bottom to the top is 9". The height from the bottom of boat/bildge to underneath the floor is 10 1/2". So technically the one from overtons will work :
//www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=30458&pdesc=Moeller_Belly_Tank_52_gal_24W_60L_10D&cname=Below-Deck-Fuel-Tanks&aID=601R2&merchID=1009&r=view

I wrote the number down from your website; who do I ask for? I need to explore a few options here locally but I may be able to work with a plastic tank. Height may be my biggest problem. I'll be at the storage facility where my boat is stored sometime tomorrow; I'll get a measurement from the top of my stringers to the hull and see what I have to work with.

Sorry OH for not getting back sooner I have been busy.

If the tank number starts with a FT it means it is a factory tank, And a manufacturer is using them. Call this guy Whit at Oceanlink. See if he has what you need, Oceanlink is a tank distributor with more than one brand of plastic tanks and many options. Get a price from him and I can see if I can beat it.

Whit Corbishley

Ocean Link Inc.

3 Maritime Drive, Suite 6

Portsmouth, RI 02871

Phone (401) 683-4434

Fax (401) 683-3388

Back