• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HELP HELP

C_H_E_C_K_M_A_T_E

I have a performance Merc bravo outdrive. I ran the boat today and the engine got very hot and had to shut it off. Like it wasn't getting any water through impeller. I came home and saw this hose hanging at bottom of outdrive that looks like it should be plugged in. Would this cause engine to run hot.

The small tube is the speedo tube. Would just make your speedolyer stop working.
You can run muffs without problems. Run it on the hose and see if water is coming out the pipes while making sure your temps don't go to high. if impeller is shot the water wont move thru. Hopefully you didn't damage the motor with the high temps already.

Check that impellor. If it's damaged, make sure you remove all of the pieces. When you run it on the muffs, was the outdrive trimmed up or down? Muffs have to fit right, doesn't take much air to smoke the impellor. It does not like to run dry. Don't know if this unit has seen salt but you can get a clog where the water comes through the transom mount, if I remember correctly. Idle only on the muffs.

The previous owner told me that the impeller on this boat is not on the outdrive and that it is under the pulleys on the motor. He said I cannot run muffs and the boat must be submerged to start it or I'd toast the impeller. Does that sound right?

He may have said no muffs if it has low water pickup. If that's the case you can run on muffs but will need to tape over low water holes to keep water from pouring right back out of drive. Always remove tape before running in water. I'd replace impeller and housing before you do anything.

You should be able to run it on the muffs, all of the cooling water whether on the muffs or not comes up from the lower unit.

Chuck

Nice looking boat but those photos won't help us with your issue. Can you upload a picture or 2 of your drive? I'd like to see the front at the bottom to see if it's a standard Bravo lower or if it has a low water pickup. The impeller on yours is located on the starboard side of the engine towards the bottom. You'll see 2 hoses on the back side and it's belt driven.

Back