• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Help! this could be the one, i have a ???

kct11

motor is a 98 carb off shore, fresh rebuild. anything i should know about this model motor? it is hooked up to a 89 starflite. thanks, curt

sorry pictures are so big, i can't seem to edit the picture size now that it was posted

Last edited:
I am with Matt, since its not my money, I say you should buy it. We need a few more Checkmates on the river in the spring.

resized these........if i get this one, there will be one on the river well before the spring if you know what i mean! the owner is hunting this week end, so i have to wait a few days to see it in person.:(

thanks guys, but is there anything bad to say about this type motor? any querks, or characteristics that would make a guy want to shy away??

Just that they run like a Raped Ape.!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try with the limited info. Is it a Mercury racing product. If it is and its carbed your looking at 245 hp. 7500 rpms. premix 32/1 witha sportmaster L/U at 1.87 gears.And apx 373 lbs.The exshaust is opened up.That motor will keep pulling right up to 7500 rpm.

The quirks CAN BE but not always. A little smokey and loud with a weak 16 amp charging system.

That is 1 CLEAN MACHINE that should run into the high 70's with the right prop.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Sure is purdy! Along the lines of what Merc245 said, it should haul a$$ and suck gas! Buying it has my vote....

The new style Alein style cowl brings it into the 21st century. I'm not sure but when they bumped the EFI's up to 280 hp maybe, just maybe the carbs went to 260hp ????

I don't think they sold a lot carbed versions of that motor in 1998. (again if that is a hand built MRP motor or is it a std 200hp 2.5).

When u get more info let us know.

A fresh rebuild should easily have over 140 psi compression. (I have 325 hrs on my carbed MRP 245hp mota and still carrying 130-137 psi.)And ask if the carbs were clean and rebuilt.

Again nice FIND:cheersthe Original Merc245

That is one awesome boat. I'd want to know about who built the motor because I'm always paranoid about "rebuilt".

Besides that, the other motor details (model, HP, etc) would just be a price point thing to me. The less motor, the less money.

Either way that is beautiful boat and I love the Alien Cowl on that old hull style :thumb::popcorn:

Good lookin rig... :)

From the pics though, that's not an offshore midsection its a bass. An offshore would have a big snout right above the cavitation plate for the exhaust to come out. The lower looks to be a cle, caus I think the nose is a little too short to be a sportmaster but kinda tough to tell from the pics. If its a 2.5 carb I believe its 245hp...I'd ask some questions though caus some people call 200hp carb motors a "2.5 carb"....don't go by what's on the cowling, caus I got a 2.5 lid on my 2.4 bridgeport.

Good luck. :thumb:

thanks every one! great east, you are the man! good eye, that is the kida help i was looking for. it is a cle lower from what i was told. told noting about the mid section, he said it was a 98 2.5 carb offshore 245 hp. JSRE did the work in the motor, new rods, pistons, rings, and clean up the casting of the ports, owner said they went mild with compression ratio, it will run on 87 if needed, but mid grade is the best, premium not needed. 12 hrs on the rebuild.

ok, if nothing funky is up with the motor, what is a fair price for this rig???

how do i tell if it is a 2.5 or 2.4?

thanks, curt

Last edited:
2.5 carbed - 245hp

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105&d=1150650523

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104&d=1150650497

Thats the best I could do.Sure thats not an offshore mid,The relief holes are like 5 1/2 holes on each side at the bottom of mid.The lower unit does look like a cle (99% sure) 2 water inlets models are somewhat susceptible to seaweed( a proplem I delt with for 13 yrs).
The 16 amp charging system only seems to be charging when over 6000 rpms(good batteries takes care of that)

These motors were made to run hard and running them so, u could expect anywhere from 250-400 hrs on them.I've run this one, my 2nd powerhead easy and at 325 hrs(hour gage) comp is still 130-137 psi.Starts instantly and just a little smokier than usally. Even with less comp. I'd stick to premium why chance it and it properly burn cleaner.

I'd didn't send a price back before because mine is a ltttle more busted up than you were looking for.

As for price, First try to find out how long its been for sale,Or if some thing has changed cuasing a emergancy sale(In my case yrs ago the guys girlfriend let it slip that she came up pregent,I had HIM saving me about another 1500 bucks).

I would be happy with $6500-$6000 for mine with some serious proplems. I would think of it like this mota 6-7000, trailer 1000,
solid hull 3-4000 so I'm thinking 10 or under lowball - 12000 or higher gettting on the high side. Is that vague enough for u.

hope to see u on the water next year. merc245

Last edited:
thanks every one! great east, you are the man! good eye, that is the kida help i was looking for. it is a cle lower from what i was told. told noting about the mid section, he said it was a 98 2.5 carb offshore 245 hp. JSRE did the work in the motor, new rods, pistons, rings, and clean up the casting of the ports, owner said they went mild with compression ratio, it will run on 87 if needed, but mid grade is the best, premium not needed. 12 hrs on the rebuild.

ok, if nothing funky is up with the motor, what is a fair price for this rig???

how do i tell if it is a 2.5 or 2.4?

thanks, curt

That can be tough...best thing you can do is get the #'s off the side of the block and give em to merc dealer to run. Ask if its ever been blown or sleeved to...they're good motors though, alot more reliable than mine. :)

Back