• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Hope to buy a new or used Pulsare 2400 BRX

Ryan, They have had a de-lamination issue with a 24 they built during their first launch. Plus they tried to screw an owner on a sea-cat that nearly sunk due to poor manufacturing quality. Because they didn't carry the proper warranty insurance, which is where all the legal issues with caldwell stemmed from, so they had to fold for a while. And now they are changing a proven layup without any testing and using their customers as a guinea pigs, while charging big $$$. I sure hope they have the proper warranty insurance this time around.
Respectfully, none of there 24’ boats have delaminated. They only built 7 the first go around. The legal issues were because there the partner didn’t want to dump money into blueprinting the molds and the boats couldn’t go over 68 without chine walking like pigs. There for Pete was flipping each boat and working them by hand spending about an extra week of labor on them out of his own pocket.
Caldwell only built:
1 pulsare closed 200 pro xs (Randy Corsin)
1 20 brx 250 pro xs (Tinus)
1 24 brx 400r (tinus)
1 24 cd 300r (mauricio in Mexico)
1 24 brx 250 sho (Albany ny)
1 24 brx 400 r (Sala Long Island NY)
1 24 brx 450r (eastern Pa)

None of which had any performance issues. And are all over built like tanks.

Respectfully, none of there 24’ boats have delaminated. They only built 7 the first go around. The legal issues were because there the partner didn’t want to dump money into blueprinting the molds and the boats couldn’t go over 68 without chine walking like pigs. There for Pete was flipping each boat and working them by hand spending about an extra week of labor on them out of his own pocket.
Caldwell only built:
1 24 brx 400r (tinus)

So what did they change on the mold or hull design to cause this chine walking issue? Did they notch the transom on the 24? Because my 2014 24 has no issues like you describe, even at 80 mph. And my hull was not blueprinted, and out of the box had no performance issues.

Caldwell only built:
1 24 brx 400r (tinus)

I wonder if that first one you listed, that was sent back, could be sold at a “project boat” price?

I wonder if that first one you listed, that was sent back, could be sold at a “project boat” price?
Yeah good question, I was wondering what ever happened to that boat after it got returned. I saw the pictures and I must say not good not good, hopefully they’ll get their act together and put out quality boats.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjg
I also heard that the legal issues started as well by a class action law suit from the dealers wanting their deposit money back, again, I’m glad it seems it’s all in the past and I hope Caldwell does well and puts out a good quality boat.

It was fixed and delivered to the custom Tampa area
So, between reselling rejected, reworked boats and painting hulls instead of producing in gel graphics, it sounds like the Checkmate brand, quality and offer is lackluster at best.

Sad state of affairs over at Caldwell I fear, and only if you’re on facebook I can you see them so I can’t plus their regular website is useless, I had high hopes for the continuation of CheckMate but I guess its a dying out 😩

I wonder if they’ll show up at the Miami Boat Show next year February, and I’m guessing the Ft.Lauderdale Boat Show at the end of October this year would be out of the question for them.

I wonder if they’ll show up at the Miami Boat Show next year February, and I’m guessing the Ft.Lauderdale Boat Show at the end of October this year would be out of the question for them.
I honestly don’t see them putting any boats in the show. Considering they are building the triple engine Donzi and sweet 22 I doubt they would push hard to market checkmate. You’re in the keys aren’t you ?

I honestly don’t see them putting any boats in the show. Considering they are building the triple engine Donzi and sweet 22 I doubt they would push hard to market checkmate. You’re in the keys aren’t you ?
They are just a subcontractor for Iconic Marine Group, so it doesn't make sense to market those brands, that they don't even own.
With the way Caldwell is butchering the Checkmate brand with build quality and with what seems as an overall lack of knowledge of boat building in general. Theres not much to be proud of to display at a boat show these days. Maybe they should try building the boats as they were originally designed and engineered to be built in the first place, before they use an untested layup schedule?!?

I hail out of West Palm Beach but I do head down to the Keys a lot.

I get it, no one likes the paint but honestly Caldwell is overbuilding these boats. The knees are monsters, hull performs like an animal and the rigging is done like a half million dollar mti. I think they are priced out of the market of the traditional checkmate enthusiasts. I had a 2018 brx and currently own a 2009 brx along with a 2024 brx and the difference is astonishing.
They are just a subcontractor for Iconic Marine Group, so it doesn't make sense to market those brands, that they don't even own.
With the way Caldwell is butchering the Checkmate brand with build quality and with what seems as an overall lack of knowledge of boat building in general. Theres not much to be proud of to display at a boat show these days. Maybe they should try building the boats as they were originally designed and engineered to be built in the first place, before they use an untested layup schedule?!?

• Haha
I’ll be down in November in key west my buddy from Tampa is bringing his brx down u should join us.. I’ll have the 21’ pulse the races are 11/10

I didn’t realize they were painting the hulls….that is disappointing. One of the first things people think about Checkmates, is the gel/mold craftsmanship. What is their new lay-up schedule? No balsa?

Caldwell had a winning product w- a loyal fan base. All they needed to do is a little updating and some marketing…….and they would sold a lot of boats!

Balsa is wood they went to coosa which is a composite material and yes paint I have the last one that has in gel graphics

Attachments

• IMG_9752.jpeg
    IMG_9752.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 6
I get it, no one likes the paint but honestly Caldwell is overbuilding these boats. The knees are monsters, hull performs like an animal and the rigging is done like a half million dollar mti. I think they are priced out of the market of the traditional checkmate enthusiasts. I had a 2018 brx and currently own a 2009 brx along with a 2024 brx and the difference is astonishing.
The knee design was updated in 2014 when my model was built. Rigging was always good during the Hustler ownership days and should be expected, theres nothing special with that statement. And word on the street says overall quality and fit & finish is horrible, according to the dealer in FL that rejected the 2100 Pulsare.
Maybe Caldwell should hire Dean Reynolds as a consultant to train the crew on how to build these boats properly and profitable.

Balsa is wood they went to coosa which is a composite material and yes paint I have the last one that has in gel graphics
Balsa is wood? Really? I thought it was a space age material. 🙄

And the starboard side flake stripe, looks like a f’d up mess!! I can see why they gave up on in gel graphics, amateurs to say the least! Better get Maaco!!

The knee design was updated in 2014 when my model was built. Rigging was always good during the Hustler ownership days and should be expected, theres nothing special with that statement. And word on the street says overall quality and fit & finish is horrible, according to the dealer in FL that rejected the 2100 Pulsare.
Maybe Caldwell should hire Dean Reynolds as a consultant to train the crew on how to build these boats properly and profitable.
Send a pic of your bilge area

Send a pic of your bilge area
Pic of the knees and stern looking forward to show the tie in to the stringers.
I have pics of the in gel graphics being taped and sprayed, in case caldwell needs some training material.

I have complete progress build pics. Im thinking with that kind of providénce I could get even more $$$ than you're asking for that 2009! 🤣😂🤣

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0820.jpeg
    IMG_0820.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 9
Back