• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Jumping in head first!

Son of a!! It never ends...

Taking my time still and going at it little by little to avoid anymore mistakes. Tomorrow I will support the boat a little better by making some legs that attach to the jack plate taking the stress off of the hull at the bunks. Then the glass over the sponsons gets removed along with the main section of core!

Next week should bring the final prep stage and I will be ready put it back together!!

20130601_160328_zps04801449.png

Slow an steady good job so far sand grind sand an sand some more. I go have an eye for starflights an enchanters I just picked up an enchanter that is a little more project then thought fun oh fun you know the saying if it floats Plus or fu&!s it is cheaper to rent.

Well this weather is really holding me up.

Got the new fuel gauge sending unit in the 20gal tank and also got an inline water seperator. Hopefully I can get to work on it some tomorrow before work.

:cheers:

Updates!

Progress has been slow... a lot of rain and a few people in from out of town has kept me off of the boat. However, I did call Joe @ Mertons to ready my order today. Looks like I am getting 6 sheets of core, 5-8gal of resin, a bunch of mat, and some 1708. He also wants me to use their hull and deck putty to adhere the wetter balsa core to the hull and fillet the floor edges. Looks like I may be getting 2 gallons of that. Oh and he is going to send me all of the needed supplies.

Anyone have any objections to what he has suggested? Joe also said 2 layers of mat and one layer of 1708 will be plenty strong for the core.

Progress has been slow... a lot of rain and a few people in from out of town has kept me off of the boat. However, I did call Joe @ Mertons to ready my order today. Looks like I am getting 6 sheets of core, 5-8gal of resin, a bunch of mat, and some 1708. He also wants me to use their hull and deck putty to adhere the wetter balsa core to the hull and fillet the floor edges. Looks like I may be getting 2 gallons of that. Oh and he is going to send me all of the needed supplies.

Anyone have any objections to what he has suggested? Joe also said 2 layers of mat and one layer of 1708 will be plenty strong for the core.

Joe is the man!!! You can't go wrong with what he tells you.:thumb:

Joe is the man!!! You can't go wrong with what he tells you.:thumb:

He has been very helpful so far. I was hoping he would get with me today on a final total, but no call. He seems very busy, so that is fine. We figured up just over $400 for the core alone, then we had to add all the supplies and enough material to do the floor after. He seems to be confident I can do it for $600ish.

Some of the guys on the other site were saying to do one layer of mat and one layer of 1708... I am sure it is light, but I don't think I would be comfortable. 2 layers and 1708 is probably the plan for me.

:cheers:

Another way is: 2 layers of 1.5 oz csm, 1 layer of woven roven and the final layer of 1.5 oz csm. When I helped a friend with his core replacement, that's the lay up we used. That came from a guy that's been in the business 30 yrs.:thumb:

I agree with you 100%. We decided that 3 layers would be best with his recommended layup schedule. With that being said, Joe shipped everything out today. He did me very well for a grand total of $570 to my door.

Keep in mind we are expecting this to cover the core and knees based on my measurements. Once the core is in I may have to make another small order to finish out the floor itself.

11 yards of mat
6 yards of 1708
5 gallons of resin
2 gallons of hull and deck putty
6 sheets of core
misc. rollers, cans, cups, brushes, ect.

:bounce:

Time to get this rest of this core out and put it back together! Hope to have some final demolition pictures for you guys this weekend.

Back