• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

NEED A NEW PROP! Bravo One or Rev 4?

JUPITER PULSARE

I found a crack in one of my blades on my Bravo One 24 so I'm going to be replacing it with something new. I have not tinkered with props on my Pulsare 2400 until now and have only ran the old school-non vented Bravo One 24. Has anyone ran a Revolution 4 or Bravo One FS series on their Verado 300 motor or Checkmate Pulsare 2400?

Also Mercury advertises 15.25 for diameter but really only 15inch. At least on the one I purchased new last year(2019). New math I guess(LOL)!

I found a crack in one of my blades on my Bravo One 24 so I'm going to be replacing it with something new. I have not tinkered with props on my Pulsare 2400 until now and have only ran the old school-non vented Bravo One 24. Has anyone ran a Revolution 4 or Bravo One FS series on their Verado 300 motor or Checkmate Pulsare 2400?

I have a 2020 Pulsare 2400 long deck with a 300R and I have run a 24P Bravo 1 FS. Turned 6200 rpm at 72 mph but the engine only had 2 hours on it and i have 20 hours now but have not tried to open it up since. The same day I tried the 24FS I also tried a 26P Bravo 1, 24P BBlades Blaster, 24P Solas Scorpion, and a 5 blade small diameter Hill Pleasure Prop. I have a friend with a 2020 BRX / 300R (his and mine were the last 2 boats built in Bucyrus) and he has about 2 hours on his and ran around 70 mph at 6000 rpm in choppy not great conditions. I find the FS has almost too much bow lift for my long deck but appears fine on Tom's BRX.

I have a 2020 Pulsare 2400 long deck with a 300R and I have run a 24P Bravo 1 FS. Turned 6200 rpm at 72 mph but the engine only had 2 hours on it and i have 20 hours now but have not tried to open it up since. The same day I tried the 24FS I also tried a 26P Bravo 1, 24P BBlades Blaster, 24P Solas Scorpion, and a 5 blade small diameter Hill Pleasure Prop. I have a friend with a 2020 BRX / 300R (his and mine were the last 2 boats built in Bucyrus) and he has about 2 hours on his and ran around 70 mph at 6000 rpm in choppy not great conditions. I find the FS has almost too much bow lift for my long deck but appears fine on Tom's BRX.

I have never heard anyone complain of to much bow lift on a Checkmate !

I would suggest a Hydromotive QIV-X. It is same round-ear style like a Bravo I however has much better castings/metallurgy that wont continuously crack blade when run on high-x setups like the Merc props.

Just remember to order a pitch that is -1 from a Bravo I stamp. Bravo I's are about an inch less in actual pitch than stamped.

If I have a bow lifting prop (like the Bravo FS, or the Solas Scorpion) I have to run the boat with negative trim to keep it from porpoising up until about 40 - 45 mph. 10" of setback probably makes it worse. The bow is very high if you give it some trim and it will start to walk and require constant corrections after about 69 mph. With the Bravo 1 26P (more stern lift) you could trim it just as much but very stable and the bow not quite as high. The BRX (newer styles) weigh about 200 lbs more and near the bow and I think they need more bow lift.

I also run the Hydromotive QIV-X 24p along with B1-24P both purchased new and so far both turn the same RPM with same load in our 270 convincor. The Hydromotive QIV-X is TRUE 15.25inch.

If I have a bow lifting prop (like the Bravo FS, or the Solas Scorpion) I have to run the boat with negative trim to keep it from porpoising up until about 40 - 45 mph. 10" of setback probably makes it worse. The bow is very high if you give it some trim and it will start to walk and require constant corrections after about 69 mph. With the Bravo 1 26P (more stern lift) you could trim it just as much but very stable and the bow not quite as high. The BRX (newer styles) weigh about 200 lbs more and near the bow and I think they need more bow lift.

Glenn, if the 300R mid section is anything like the Verado casting, there's already about 4" of setback built into the design. That would put you at easily 14" of setback which is why you may have the porpoise issue. Hayabusa had the same issue on his BRX with a Verado 400R. He was running a 10" jackplate along with a bracket that added another inch of setback for roughly 15" of total setback. His handling issues really improved when he went to a 6" hyd. jackplate vs the 10".

The best my boat has seen is 72MPH GPS light on fuel with just myself on board turning the Bravo One 24.

Hi, the 300R does not have the Advanced mid section so no built in set back like the Verado has. I read that the closed deck is 200 lbs lighter mostly in the bow and hence more bow lift. The stock 26P Bravo 1 that I ran actually came on the plane much faster than the 24FS and had less bow lift which my boat liked. It only turned 5800 rpm and 70 mph but the 26P was just too much pitch and probably too much drag from the diffuser. I think I should try a Bravo LT around 25P now that I have more break-in hours on it. On your BRX the additional bow lift of the Bravo FS might be the ticket?

Hi, the 300R does not have the Advanced mid section so no built in set back like the Verado has. I read that the closed deck is 200 lbs lighter mostly in the bow and hence more bow lift. The stock 26P Bravo 1 that I ran actually came on the plane much faster than the 24FS and had less bow lift which my boat liked. It only turned 5800 rpm and 70 mph but the 26P was just too much pitch and probably too much drag from the diffuser. I think I should try a Bravo LT around 25P now that I have more break-in hours on it. On your BRX the additional bow lift of the Bravo FS might be the ticket?

My Bowrider is different than the BRX. It’s 200lbs lighter, the windshield and cockpit is further aft by about a foot. It has a full dash like the long deck and you step down under the dash into a crawl through to get to the bow. They’re very rare!

My Bowrider is different than the BRX. It’s 200lbs lighter, the windshield and cockpit is further aft by about a foot. It has a full dash like the long deck and you step down under the dash into a crawl through to get to the bow. They’re very rare!

I am aware of that type of bowrider. Like you said, weight and performance is similar to the long deck, except I think after 2015 they moved the front seats forward a bit on both the BRX and long deck. Of the 5 props I tried the 24P Bravo FS was the best, but I think something like the Bravo LT might be a bit better on my hull since the FS has a bit too much bow lift. It might work good on yours, but your engine is 150 lbs heavier so perhaps you also do not need quite as much bow lift as the FS prop has. I hope you can find one to try it. I did not have to open any vents with my 300R and it planes easily.

I was rummaging around my garage and found a Mercury Offshore 23 Pitch 4 blade. It's a completely different prop compared to the Bravo One that has longer/bigger blades. It should be interesting to see the performance of the Offshore 23 once I get a chance to run it. It looks more like a Trophy Plus...

After a 6 month hiatus from boating (boat ramps being closed due to covid 19, too many days working with little time off, etc.), I finally got the boat back in the water yesterday and ran it with the Offshore 23. Acceleration was outstanding with very little bow rise. Mid range punch was great. There was no "lean" to port compared to the Bravo One 24. I was seeing GPS speeds in excess of 65 MPH but I ran out of prop. I was on the box at 6400 rpm and really needed more pitch to get better top end numbers. The prop lacked the bow lift and top end speed numbers of the Bravo One 24 but overall, a good performing prop. It's a lot like a Trophy Plus with PVS but the barrel size matches the diameter of the case pushing all the exhaust through the prop hub. I may borrow a friends Trophy Plus 26 to see how it performs next.

Well, my old Mercury Offshore 23 4-blade surprised me last week in the Keys. Running through Florida Bay in 95 degree heat and slightly rippled water, I was seeing 68.8 mph on the GPS with a full tank and two adults. I'm sure I could've squeezed more out of it with some tinkering but I had my wife on board and we were enjoying a moderate cruise with an occasional full throttle burst...

If you are still thinking about a Rev4, I have one that I am going to want to sell. Its a Merc Racing labbed 23p. Only has about 20 minutes of runtime on it. I bought it to see how it would work on my Convincor. My hull still likes the Bravo better. If you're interested, let me know.

Back