• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Power trim wont stay up

freightguy

So my boating season is starting now here in FL. I pulled my boat out of storage yesterday and the the motor wont stay up on its own, after a few hours its touching the ground. What I dont know is what are the two smaller pistons on the side of the main piston? What is their function?

Mercury%20power%20trim%20tilt%2099659A47.jpg

This is a sample of my setup.

The two pistons are for trim, the large one is for tilt when trailering.
First thing to check is there is a plastic screw on the side with a couple orings on it to manually release it and allows the trim to come down if there is no power to the motor or it fails. If those orings go it will bleed down. If that is not it, mostly like the unit needs rebuild/replacing.

And the gators.
If they can't eat you they'll just sabotage your trim.
Damn gators.
That's whats wrong with year-round warm boating.
Not speaking out of jealousy. Just saying.

on one of the trim rod there is a relief valve. you need a special tool to remove the end cap and then replace the valve. I did this only once and think the part was around $70 plus a couple hours of work.

Back