• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Ran my Verado 400r

Hayabusa

I replaced my Verado 300 Pro with a 400R installing it on my Checkmate 24 BRX with a Bob's jack plate, i took it out Sunday with the wife, kids & their friends so i couldn't run it to hard but was able to put about 3 hrs worth of break in running & was impressed. For the past year i ran my 300 & got used to it's characteristics getting a max speeds of 71 mph at 6300 rpm, stable at low tubing speeds that occasionally would break loose on sharp turns trying to throw off the kids, with the 400 tubing speeds are a charm & couldn't break it loose, the wider cavitation plate on the Sport Master gear case also helped keep it on plane at lower tubing speeds, very versatile & maneuverable not to mention quieter than the 300 :yell: Today i took it out with a friend for some WOT runs that the break in procedure calls for & got an initial 75 mph at 6800 rpm, engine trim is very effective, more so than the 300, carrying the bow a lot better with full control at different speeds, i believe the Sport Master gear case is the game changer hear, hole shot, acceleration & mid range punch of this 400 is awesome, couldn't be happier. Really looking forward to putting more time on this engine & see once settled in if 80 mph is a possibility.

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it working out great and cant wait to see some of you guys getting them dialed in for some top end passes!! :drool:

Tried to post some pics but in the little square posting rules box says i can't :confused: any ideas of what i need to do?

Use an image hosting site like photobucket and copy the image link strait into the reply box is about the easiest and fastest way or becoming a supporting member. If you cant figure it out feel free to email them to me at c95blazer@yahoo.com and ill be more than happy to drool over them for a bit and post them up! :thumb:

You must have a small prop? Lots of rpm for that mph...and now you add in the extra power you should be able to carry more pitch for a all around usage prop. Have fun with it!

There are guys reporting 10-12 more then a 300xs on other hulls of silmular size. That could make a 2400 a 90 mph boat considering high 70's is kinda the norm with a good setup and 300xs....it has me thinking.

I replaced my Verado 300 Pro with a 400R installing it on my Checkmate 24 BRX with a Bob's jack plate, i took it out Sunday with the wife, kids & their friends so i couldn't run it to hard but was able to put about 3 hrs worth of break in running & was impressed. For the past year i ran my 300 & got used to it's characteristics getting a max speeds of 71 mph at 6300 rpm, stable at low tubing speeds that occasionally would break loose on sharp turns trying to throw off the kids, with the 400 tubing speeds are a charm & couldn't break it loose, the wider cavitation plate on the Sport Master gear case also helped keep it on plane at lower tubing speeds, very versatile & maneuverable not to mention quieter than the 300 :yell: Today i took it out with a friend for some WOT runs that the break in procedure calls for & got an initial 75 mph at 6800 rpm, engine trim is very effective, more so than the 300, carrying the bow a lot better with full control at different speeds, i believe the Sport Master gear case is the game changer hear, hole shot, acceleration & mid range punch of this 400 is awesome, couldn't be happier. Really looking forward to putting more time on this engine & see once settled in if 80 mph is a possibility.

Be careful with the bobs jp. When I ordered my 2400 CM refused to rig my boat with one due to transom failures that were determined to be caused by the bobs hyd. plates. I was told my hull warantee would be void if I insisted on the bobs plate. It seems at speed the plates chatter fore & aft which in turn causes transom failure. Just an fyi.

What kind of prop are you running ? On my 300 the 24 bravo fs worked the best and expect a 26 to be very close on the 400.

You must have a small prop? Lots of rpm for that mph...and now you add in the extra power you should be able to carry more pitch for a all around usage prop. Have fun with it!

There are guys reporting 10-12 more then a 300xs on other hulls of silmular size. That could make a 2400 a 90 mph boat considering high 70's is kinda the norm with a good setup and 300xs....it has me thinking.

Right now im at 11% slip @ 73 mph with a 24 bravo fs. I figure if I can maintain that slip # with a 26p @ between 6800-7000 rpm 83-85 mph should be realistic.

Outstanding!

I didn't know that motor was eve released yet.

I'm not a 4 stroke guy and not that big of a Merc guy but that motor really appears to be something special and I am way impressed.

Des the Sporty have 1.62 gears?

If your 300 didn't run a Sporty than you will likely be able to raise the engine more, due to the low water p/u's on that motor.

I would think that motor will be a game changer for propeller choices also.

I would also consider the warnings on the transom.
I think I read that motor is at 600+ lbs?? I doubt that transom was designed for that. Especially when jacked to the moon.

Congrats, good luck and I look forward to see your results.

Gary

I think that hull will handle the weigh no problem. Its what, 150lbs more then a 300xs? Mine is 15.5 back and I think randy sets them back 18-19 inches with no problems. Just move that hog closer to the transom...about 3 inches would balance it back out in my case.

The hull will handle it no problem.
Transom would be my concern.

They rig them from the factory with 300 verados on them. I dont think the weight difference between them was that substantial when I looked it up awhile back..

Edit: I think from what I finding on a quick google search the 2015 300's and 400's both weight right around the 668lbs mark..

Outstanding!

I'm not a 4 stroke guy and not that big of a Merc guy but that motor really appears to be something special and I am way impressed.

If your 300 didn't run a Sporty than you will likely be able to raise the engine more, due to the low water p/u's on that motor.

I think I read that motor is at 600+ lbs?? I doubt that transom was designed for that. Especially when jacked to the moon.

Gary

Gary, at the last Miami Boat Show, every which direction you turned your head you would see the 400R. There were giant center consoles with 3,4..even 5 of them accross the transom. The other motors that made their presence quite a bit were the 7-Marine 557 hp and brand new 627 hp motors! The 627's were over $80K per motor and there were boats with 3 and 4 of them accross the transom!!!! I had a hard time comprehending $320,000.00 just in power!!!!!

Gary, at the last Miami Boat Show, every which direction you turned your head you would see the 400R. There were giant center consoles with 3,4..even 5 of them accross the transom. The other motors that made their presence quite a bit were the 7-Marine 557 hp and brand new 627 hp motors! The 627's were over $80K per motor and there were boats with 3 and 4 of them accross the transom!!!! I had a hard time comprehending $320,000.00 just in power!!!!!
Had a friend there tell me the same.

Agreed on price too.

Every time we went to the Keys and passed the Boat Mart w/all the new center consoles w/4 motors out front I just shook my head wondering where these people come from.
Have a picture from our convertible while following a 36' Deep impact w/4 300 Verados on it. All you could see ahead of us was the 4 motors all the way across our lane :eyecrazy:

They rig them from the factory with 300 verados on them. I dont think the weight difference between them was that substantial when I looked it up awhile back..

Edit: I think from what I finding on a quick google search the 2015 300's and 400's both weight right around the 668lbs mark..

My 300 has stamped on the id plate 303 kilos witch is just shy of 668 lbs, my 400 says 315 kilos & 695 lbs; 27 lbs difference, not bad for 100 more hp. I think the Sport Master gear case being a 5.88" od & 1" taller is to blame for some of the weight increase.

Outstanding!

Gary

I don't know if 1.62 is available in the Sporty i got 1.75 & 1.85 is an option, i am keeping an eye on the whole set up cause after a few ph calls non of the jack plate manufactures are as of yet saying their product will handle the 400

I don't know if 1.62 is available in the Sporty i got 1.75 & 1.85 is an option, i am keeping an eye on the whole set up cause after a few ph calls non of the jack plate manufactures are as of yet saying their product will handle the 400

The atlas plates are rated for the 350 verado which is the same weight as the 400. I called T&H and without a written endorsement they told me in so many words the atlas can handle well over 500hp so long as the weight is below 750lbs. Which means the yammie 350 is not covered by the atlas. My pro 300 stated weight is 635lbs and the 400 is 668lbs mainly due to the 5.44 dia sporty gearcase and updated cowling. What prop are you running ?

What kind of prop are you running ? On my 300 the 24 bravo fs worked the best and expect a 26 to be very close on the 400.

I'm running a Bravo 22" that is pithed to 23 with some additional work done to it by Rich Junker at Leading Edge Propeller, i have a 24 Bravo that i ran with the 300 & on back to backs the 23 was 1mph slower than the 24 but had a lot better hole shot, my initial running on the 400 is with the 23 & once i have more time on the engine i will test different props since my speed of 75 & 6800 rpm was with the Sporty 2" below the pad & it can be truly run at 0 or +1 :bigthumb:

Be careful with the bobs jp. When I ordered my 2400 CM refused to rig my boat with one due to transom failures that were determined to be caused by the bobs hyd. plates. I was told my hull warantee would be void if I insisted on the bobs plate. It seems at speed the plates chatter fore & aft which in turn causes transom failure. Just an fyi.

Thanks, i am keeping an eye on it for sure & so far after a year of running it some times hard, well most of the time :D, she's looking good. I run in the intercoastal, offshore along the beach & a few times have taken her across the Gulfstream to Bimini for some horsing around in the Bahamas, granted it's only been a year so i'll keep an extra look at now that the 400 is on it.

The atlas plates are rated for the 350 verado which is the same weight as the 400. I called T&H and without a written endorsement they told me in so many words the atlas can handle well over 500hp so long as the weight is below 750lbs. Which means the yammie 350 is not covered by the atlas. My pro 300 stated weight is 635lbs and the 400 is 668lbs mainly due to the 5.44 dia sporty gearcase and updated cowling. What prop are you running ?

I stand corrected, i didn't call T&H, yes i think all the wight diff is in the gear case & the trim guide plates, i think then what is stamped on the id plates must be wet weights, including engine & gear case oils, cowlings weigh the same at least the ones i could remove, mid section & engine cowls.

Back