• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Skeg Guard

boatman4021

Anybody ever use a skeg gaurd? If so, how much speed do they scrubb off? My boat came with one on it and also, a whale tail. Took that thing off as soon as I got it home! Went ahead and run with the skeg gaurd yesterday and wasn't very impressed with the speed(64.8gps). Hot Boat tested this same pkg and got 73. Must have been on a generous speedo!

I was kinda thinking that myself, just haven't took it off yet to see. Looks like I will need a chisel and a bfh to take it off! It is attatched with 1 way screw heads. If the skeg is damaged, I would rather repair it or replace it as have the guard over it.

As a point of customer satisfaction, i used to put these on to cover damage, it didn't take long to change the policy to not sell them or put them on over damage.

My skeg had small nicks on it. I put a Skeg Guard on it to protect it. I saw NO lose in speed. I think it might have added 1mph and steering response better. Plus with my Stainless prop it looks very nice I think. I have no regrets. The guard has a more sharper edge than stock skeg.. So I'm keeping mine on.. That's just my thought.

Don

wasn't very impressed with the speed(64.8gps). Hot Boat tested this same pkg and got 73. Must have been on a generous speedo!
Run it a little bit and run any old gas out that might have been in there since last year. I have picked up almost 5mph on the speedo since the first run of the season. Might also want to check ignition timing and do a tune up as well :bigthumb:

My skeg had small nicks on it. I put a Skeg Guard on it to protect it. I saw NO lose in speed. I think it might have added 1mph and steering response better. Plus with my Stainless prop it looks very nice I think. I have no regrets. The guard has a more sharper edge than stock skeg.. So I'm keeping mine on.. That's just my thought.

Don

X2

Back