• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Statue Of Liberty Checkmate Photoshoot

That water was just a little too much for an overpowerd 10' boat.

Great story.
I've had friends and family out with me in the last year in the harbour there and they probably felt the same in the Starliner until we got up the Hudson past Jersey City.
What happens every time is they want a photo with the statue in the background as they sit in the bow. They don't realise that it can be so lumpy that all that weight in the bow is going to get their backs wet every time! :sssh:

Probably a good idea to be out there at the crack of dawn if you want the water any sort of smooth.

Liberty State Park sounds good to me. A shorter trip from Cape May.

When I was a kid I had a 10' plywood boat with a 30hp Johnson and kept it in the Hackensack River in Hackensack. I guess I was 14 at the time.
I got a hair in my butt filled 2 of my 6 gallon tanks and head down river.
Wanted to go around the Lady. Made my way to Newark Bay, around the tip of Bayonne thru the Kill and out into the harbor.
Well, I got around the Lady and could not get back into the Kill fast enough. That water was just a little too much for an overpowerd 10' boat.

Ahh, to be young and foolish. Sometimes I wonder why I am still alive. :shakehead:
I think most of us can relate to that one. I remember cutting school with my friend Richard and taking a rowboat with a little outboard out of Long Beach Inlet into the Atlantic where we got too close to the beach and got swamped and carried in by breaking waves.
"Ahh, to be young and foolish. Sometimes I wonder why I am still alive.:shakehead:

BTW, you of all people shouldn't be making light of Dawns crack.:poke:

Back