• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The 4 strokes are here

karzrus

I'm sure most of you have heard by now but I didn't see a thread on it.

Merc killed the 250-300XS 2 stroke and they are not even listed on the web page anymore.

The new 4 strokes look like capable replacements. Maybe a bit pricey, I think I read somewhere the 300R is around $22,000

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboards/engines/300r/

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/engines/outboard/pro-xs/175-300-pro-xs/

I think this just killed the resale value of my 250xs and all the 300xs 2 strokes out there?

I think this just killed the resale value of my 250xs and all the 300xs 2 strokes out there?

I don't think it will hurt, in fact I think it will do the opposite. There are still a bunch of hardcore 2 stroke guys out there. To me, nothing sounds cooler than a high strung Merc 280 or a Johnnyrude V8. Now with them not being made anymore, it'll be harder to find nice clean 250-300xs's, so when you do find one, you'll pay more. Just my $.02.

Now, I am very interested in seeing what one of these new 4.6L V8 outboards sounds like with a drilled out mid!!!

I don't think it will hurt, in fact I think it will do the opposite. There are still a bunch of hardcore 2 stroke guys out there. To me, nothing sounds cooler than a high strung Merc 280 or a Johnnyrude V8. Now with them not being made anymore, it'll be harder to find nice clean 250-300xs's, so when you do find one, you'll pay more.

I agree, I think they’ll hold their value way better for a while. The shift is on big time to 4 strokes and as you mention a lot of us out there still wanting 2 strokes, Caldwell Racing might fill a void but they are taking to long and they are pricey so maybe Evinrude steps up its game to give us something equal to the 250XS & 300XS, we’ll see. Hear’s hopping :thumb:

Ok, now that I’ve heard what the 300r sounds like, I have to say my interest is definitely peaked!!!

https://youtu.be/RmYzeYJE4kU

That does sound pretty knarly at idle! I would like to hear a fly-by clip! Amazing how loud it is behind the motor and is barely audible from the front (passenger) side of motor, especially at speed. There is some great sound attenuation going on in that design.

For a 4.6L V8, I think there is a ton of future potential for the platform, especially since a blower could be added and likely hit 500 hp easily id imagine. I'd say they are pretty de-tuned as of right now to protect sales of the 400r Vrod that are 16-weeks backordered.

Back