• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Thought I was done with this $#!t

merc245

Let me start by saying 95% of us are here because we're all "Tinkerers ,Toilers, or good old Check Writers" to some extent!

It didn't take long for the weak areas on a low hour survivor to turn up when its put back into high rotation.

Well here's the proof a big guy in his early 50's can place a piece of plate steel under a the ladder bolts on a Zt. by himself So there's no reason to put up with a sketchy ladder on a Zt

DSCF01941_zpsylvetjj2.png

Now I have developed a nice little header leak at the rear port on starboard side. And the exhaust bolts resemble rusty nubs:mad: Been hitting them with penetrating oil a few times a week now

The snap on travel cover seam opened up and I had all the seams re-sewn for a hundy.

The trailer was no different, besides purchasing a new tongue wheel, crank, rims and having the bearing repack this spring, This past week I cut and mounted new inner fenders. Instead of the 5 factory woodscrews, I thru bolted them 12 times in each side. Along with replacing the bunks too, going with a gun metal grey carpet. Also running a bolt thru the fender and the mounting bracket that was laughable tack welded. Almost forgot and new upright stop wheel.

DSCF01971_zpsrds7awyq.png
DSCF01951_zpsdbo7lrc9.png

DSCF02041_zpstp8eoxre.jpg

I now have a 4" wheel stop I'll mail someone, very weathered but beats nothing

DSCF02011_zpsf1hdrl4p.png

Actually looking forward to putting the boat away and start updating my home (the plan I originally had this spring). And everything will be ready for a trouble free next season. yeh right:irked:

Last edited:
I expect to spend $1000 a year(before fuel) and a large # of hours on what ever little boat I own, even a newer one. As the boat gets bigger, then both numbers go up on a exponential curve. Merc, you know that too, but it is fun to come here and vent a little.

P.S. This year I easily doubled my amount and I didn't even re-rig the boat like I was planning.

Not really venting, just having a little fun. But I just remembered the best part!

I DON"T HAVE EXPLAIN WHERE I SPEND MY MONEY ANYMORE! :p

The fender brace weld is definitely a weak point. I had a tire let go that bent the brace badly, we were able to straighten it and its welded solid now. But if another tire blows it could cause more damage to the fender if it pulls the brace. I still need to make new inner fenders, part of mine is gone from the same tire failure. Inner fenders and bunks are on my short list, bunk carpet is thin so figured might as well bolt on new bunks.

Looking good Jeff ! Its nice getting home before my wife from work now. I get all the ups and fedex packages and all the evidence burned before she hits the road home hehehehe !! I did tell her about a new prop I bought while ripping across the Saginaw bay yesterday but not sure she heard me ! I did tell her though hehe ! This summer is winding down so hopefully so will the spending lol.

PC, I just picked up a 24 hr shift of overtime on Friday at the firehouse, so I'll have a lot better last 5 weeks of the season too. And I'm starting the hiring process to be a field representative for insurance company's this week. Like appraising, I can do all the phone, computer and file work while at the station :thumb: If all goes good I'll have better next season too.

Tuesday was a perfect day, weather wise! So I make plans with my buddy to pour a yard concrete (to fill in a hot tub hole) and then go for a boat ride. Naturally I show up with the concrete and the dudes not there. Well he finally shows up to just in time to finish up with the troweling :pissed:.

Back to why I'm here again. I wanted to run north up the river and across Lake St. Clair about 35 miles each way. Perfect water and weather, so while out in middle of St. Clair we stop for a beer break, go to start it up - nothing - after about 5 minutes sheer panic, (my tow package expired the day before) But you do what you do first, start with the easy fixes first and I went straight to the kill switch, turned on & off -nothing- wiggled the wire behind it and presto! The day was a success 2 nice long hard runs. I just have to crawl around under the dash, some more boating fun in the driveway :banana:

Back