• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tow with cover on or off?

teamhart2

You guys usually tow with your covers on or off? I was thinking theyd prolly reduce air resistance, but Im worried that at 65 I might tear em up bad, which I dont wanna do. Although if you all do it itd be nice to know in case it rains.

yea usually im the same way, but im towing a few hundred miles this week to visit family, and will be on highway a bunch.

TH2 I had a travel cover for my bass boat that was custom fitted. Those are expensive but was a good investment, protected the boat from rain and sun while traveling.

Have 280ZT & Several times through summer I pull boat 100-500 miles with cockpit cover on,I do have full cover but could not trailer with that.I do not notice difference pulling with/without cover.

Going to the lake from my house no cover. I have 2 factory cock pit covers and they have stayed on for 10 hours at 65-75 mph on a road trip

My homemade Sunbrella cockpit cover has stayed put at 55-60.
I was sure that the snaps on the winshield frame were going to let go but didn't.

i pull with my cover on, it does reduce the drag a little when i am in my wifes truck but i have a lot of buttons on my cover every 6 inches, i am not worried about tearing it. At 65-70 it a little more comforting with a cover!

I usually trailer with the cockpit cover on but
never the mooring cover unless a its a very
short distance. The big ones tend to take a
beating, particularly on the highway.

I often pull my boat 100 miles or so.
Never with the cover on.
I like to show my ''CHECK'' off while cruis'in down the highway.:p

I have a 300 convincor and I normally tow with it on. The other day on the interstate, I could not see the back flapping and it put black scuffs on my sunpad. Thought I would never get them out but use a magic eraser which worked awesome. Little nervous about towing with it on now.

Jason Roeder

They advertise them as 'trailering' covers but...I tore up a brand new heavy grade cover towing on a windy day. The manufacturer replaced it but still unless it is raining I now tow with it off.

I tow with it off unless it's raining hard, I think it puts alot of wear & tear on the cover and the corners of the windsheild frame. Like was said, if it starts to come off it can do some real dammage and you cant see it.

if it might rain the cockpit cover is on, if it looks good i leave it off. just one more thing you have to do at the launch.

I clamp a bugscreen to the windshields when I tow but no cover. I don't go much further than 20miles, though. I see Semi's hauling 40-50' boats up and down I-95 with no covering at all, so I can't imagine hauling without a cover will do much (if any) harm.

the main reason I trailer with the cockpit cover on is I travel
30 minutes to an hour to the places I launch and the cover
keeps bird crap and other impurities out of my cockpit!!
Nothing worse than shining her up and finding bird crap on
the carpet and seats at the ramp, and sooner or later some
knucklehead we pass on the highway will inevitably flick the
cig butt high out the window and land in the boat, so in that
regard the cover keeps me out of jail on assault charges;).
It takes just a minute to snap it on or off, so I use it!

Some Checkmate models have a curved plastic portion of the windshield. Towing with the cover on will dull the plastic. Same thing can happen to the gelcoat. The coarse fabric of the cover rubbing on it is not good. I only use mine if its raining.

Back