• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Which boat?

I personally like the 259. I think purple on a boat looks tits! Plus the fact I am looking at 259's or 300's for the upcoming season. Open bows are not my style!

I like the bow rider. but the other is also nice. it depends on what you plan on doing with the boat. where you plan to boat. and most important is who will be going to the lake with you. If you are like me, my wife cannot drive the boat (yet) or back the trailer. so it is easier for me to launch and load a bow rider when it is just the wife, kid and me. but I guess if you have a slip or keep your boat at a marina that doesn't matter.

259 all the way, not a fan of the built in platform on a zt, Plus a cabin stomps the open bow in the ground any day for use, a cabin has better resale anyday than a open bow.

i like the 259. But just like every one else says, it all depends on how you plan on using it. If you have a big family, the bow rider would be better. either way, its a checkmate, so its cool!!!

Well it would be the girlfriend and I and her 2 sons and my son. So thats 5 people and I really like the look of the 259 closed bow but I dont think it will have enough room.

The wife and the kids will love the cabin to crash in and the fact it has a port-a-pottie. Go with the 259.......it will take the water a lot better than the ZT....plus nothing beats the sound of a big block! Having a cabin is great, and the cabin in those are decent sized. It is nice to have a place to get out of the sun.

That is a nice 259 for the price. That 502 is a good motor also and that amount of hours is fine for the year....plenty of life left.

Love the 259. Think the enclosed bow offers more versatility in the vessel. Concerning the big block, from the book of Jim, Acceleration and defying gravity chapter,"There is no replacement for displacement". May I also add that I notice a look of envy on all of the other vessels present in the picture.

If the motor has been properly maintained that block will go into the thousands of hours with little sweat. 350 hours is nothing unless it's been beat on constantly and poorly maintained.

BTW, that 230ZT is my buddies old boat that he recently sold last late summer or early fall so I don't know how that person considers it a 1 owner boat. I cleaned up some of the factory rigging when he bought it new and did a couple other things to it that he wanted. (cup holders, stereo, steering wheel, drive shower etc.. for example)

While he had it it was ALWAYS pampered and covered when not in use.
Never left out in the elements. It would be under a carport at his vacation home or in his garage during winter. Polished frequently and never put away wet.

I know what the boat will run on GPS and I know it's capabilities if you have any other questions about it let me know.. It is NOT a 68 MPH boat and I'm not sure if the guy that bought it from him has even bothered to change it over to his name yet. P.M me for any other info as I really want to get the facts straight before I comment any further regarding who's name it is in now at this time and other info regarding it I was last made aware of a few days ago..

BTW, that 230ZT is my buddies old boat that he recently sold last late summer or early fall so I don't know how that person considers it a 1 owner boat. I cleaned up some of the factory rigging when he bought it new and did a couple other things to it that he wanted. (cup holders, stereo, steering wheel, drive shower etc.. for example)

While he had it it was ALWAYS pampered and covered when not in use.
Never left out in the elements. It would be under a carport at his vacation home or in his garage during winter. Polished frequently and never put away wet.

I know what the boat will run on GPS and I know it's capabilities if you have any other questions about it let me know.. It is NOT a 68 MPH boat and I'm not sure if the guy that bought it from him has even bothered to change it over to his name yet. P.M me for any other info as I really want to get the facts straight before I comment any further regarding who's name it is in now at this time and other info regarding it I was last made aware of a few days ago..
Sent you a PM about the boat

they are two totally different animals, i owned both boats . if you can survive without a cabin and porta pot and just want to tube and cruise around the zt230 is better lots of room . the 350 mag and 6.2 power the boat pretty well 58 -62 with a light load.with good fuel economy which may matter to all our wallets as gas starts to near 4 bucks a gallon by summer. goto mercurys website and check the hourly burn rate of the motors. if you really use the boat alot gas prices may matter to you. if you find a small block with a bravo at a great price you can always goto a big block sometime down the road. if you feel the need for speed.

just saw the link big red posted on the 270 br . that is a very cool boat i think there kinda rare i have never seen one on the water. the dealer selling that boat is a great dealer. i have bought a few boats from Bob in the past and he has always been a man of his word. good luck in your search

they are two totally different animals, i owned both boats . if you can survive without a cabin and porta pot and just want to tube and cruise around the zt230 is better lots of room . the 350 mag and 6.2 power the boat pretty well 58 -62 with a light load.with good fuel economy which may matter to all our wallets as gas starts to near 4 bucks a gallon by summer. goto mercurys website and check the hourly burn rate of the motors. if you really use the boat alot gas prices may matter to you. if you find a small block with a bravo at a great price you can always goto a big block sometime down the road. if you feel the need for speed.
I like the looks of the 259 but the ZT23 is going to be more room in there... And wont suck as much gas as the 259... My son keeps telling me to get the 259 lol but i just dont think there is going to be enough room and for tubing and skiing.. How many people can the 259 hold 6 or 7?

I like the looks of the 259 but the ZT23 is going to be more room in there... And wont suck as much gas as the 259... My son keeps telling me to get the 259 lol but i just dont think there is going to be enough room and for tubing and skiing.. How many people can the 259 hold 6 or 7?
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-CHECKMATE-BOATS-INC-270-CONVINCER-BR-97828224
Look at that link I just posted for the 270 BR I do not belive for a minute that the 6.2 will get better fuel milage than a 496 in the same size boat. Plus the fact of resale hurts that ZT all day long for having a 6.2. That 6.2 has to work twice as hard to keep up with a 496. That means burning more fuel

Last edited:
The truth, you dont want no more than six people in any cabin Convincor. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a ZT bow rider. I would buy a 270 Convincor. More room better ride, plus the fact of the small cuddy between the front seats and the cock pit. Take a good look at the 270. Their are 3 on boat trader

The longer the boat the better the ride is.

I think that the 259 will work fine for you.I know a couple of people that have them and are very satisfied. I know you will enjoy the ride when you are cruisin' down Cumberland,and the cabin will keep you out of a tent. :thumb:

I think that the 259 will work fine for you.I know a couple of people that have them and are very satisfied. I know you will enjoy the ride when you are cruisin' down Cumberland,and the cabin will keep you out of a tent. :thumb:
Just hearing that word cumberland! I can't wait for Summer :D

Back