• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Fresh air in the bilge to make more power.

the reason you picked up by removing the outside air source ment your engine was jetted to lean...by removing the outside air you richened it up, with jetting dialed in with out air you will make more power....if you can benifit from it...tires....Rob

The car is no way lean the problem was the restriction of air flow thru the factory air cleaner assembly. Not much heat around the engine because everything was cooled between passes. I do my plug test on all my engines. Every racer no's that a engine on the verge of leanness will run faster but you take the chance of melt down. You never herd the old saying " LEANNER IS MEANNER "

The flapper hood is way cool and a good selling point on any Chevelle.

ok, seal the base of the carb to the hood opening...and you don't think there is no heat when you are making a pass ?? go do you burnout...go out and open the hood and tell me there is no heat !!!! how hot do you think the headers or manifolds are ? enigine going to be 180-200 or so underhood will exceed 200 deg easily, all that heat is trapped right on top of the engine...

ok, seal the base of the carb to the hood opening...and you don't think there is no heat when you are making a pass ?? go do you burnout...go out and open the hood and tell me there is no heat !!!! how hot do you think the headers or manifolds are ? enigine going to be 180-200 or so underhood will exceed 200 deg easily, all that heat is trapped right on top of the engine...

Technically, you are not sealing the hood to the base of the carb. You are sealing off the top of the carb. The only heat a good sealed-off carb will see is radiant heat from the sealing material and top of hood. It won't be forced heat. In other words, the air flows into the hood and through the seal into the carb fast enough that the radiant heat won't raise the intake charge temp more than a few degrees total. Any leaks of engine air into the system will raise temps substancially however.

Apparently you have never seen a factory cowl induction flapper hood set up.

The car is 4 wheel drive a burnout is not needed I have four hot women pushing it to the starting line in thongs. I have a midget sitting on the fender well fogging everything with dry ice so header and engine heat is not a factor. And to be on the safe side I threw the hole hood in the trash and bolted a mail box to the carb and put the flag up for quick delivery.

Last edited:
Has anyone messed around with trying to duct or channel more air into their engine instead of the engine sucking the 150 degree air from the bilge/engine compartment? I sure there's got to be some horsepower gains here. I'm thinking of some kind of duct from my side vents or something, or raising the front of my engine hatch a few inches or raising the rear of the hatch a few inches??? Has anyone tried anything like this? It's got to help. My boat runs 3-4 mph faster during my first WOT run of the day, say maybe 4-5 minutes after I put it in the water (before the engine has gotton the air in there so hot.) The outside temp. is the same 90+. as the rst of the runs of the smae day. I don't want to install a scoop on top. Lets do some expirementing and share with us your results....It's almost free HP!!!!

This has been a great discussion:thumb:, and it's obvious there are plenty of you fella's here that know more about this than I do. But I have a few thoughts and observations.

First, observations, everyone agrees that cooler air is what we all want for better performance. It can be accomplished a number of ways: 1) air scoop aka ram air; downside, is it will take up valuable party space on the sun deck:banana: 2) forced induction; downside; expensive; and unless you use a cooler to overcome the increased temps of the engine compartment; you may not see the potential gains:( and 3) the third way, is improved ventilation; downside; figuring out to do it most efficiently.

Thoughts, why not improve ventilation by installing a second fan and have it temperature controlled by a dual radiator fan controller? One could set the tempurature range and both fans would only operate to maintain desired tempurature in the engine compartment.

I found a couple of links that might be of interest.

http://www.marine-engines.net/topics/000279.html?motors

http://www.hms-electronics.com/fan/index.htm

Most of you guys have forgotten more than I will ever know; just thought this might be something that could be easily done and would keep the party platform all intact.:D

Hick

Hick.

You forgot one important observation from this thread...

Red has woman on his boat with GINORMOUS sunpads! (please see page 2:D)

I have some hotties on my boat regularly, but I can't get that one out of my head LOL!

Please update.

Oh yea, we were talking about boats !! and get the blower and extra vents will help, but just to get a idea about the heat hang a therm. on the underside of your sundeck, ride for a while on a hot day, pop the hatch ck the temp....I have experimented with this, even with good vents, usually temps about 50 deg more that outside temp...Rob

Oh yea, we were talking about boats !! and get the blower and extra vents will help, but just to get a idea about the heat hang a therm. on the underside of your sundeck, ride for a while on a hot day, pop the hatch ck the temp....I have experimented with this, even with good vents, usually temps about 50 deg more that outside temp...Rob

Have you checked the temp w/ vents and an extra blower/fan? Using a temp regulated dual controller would allow the blowers to operate in a set temperature range and then hold that tempurature; thus only running when needed. Remember too that surface air tempurature next to the water will be significantly cooler than the ambient air temp just above it. Dual operating blowers should help to take advantage of this phenomenon by sucking the cooler air in. This of course is theroetical; but I belive it has merit. I personally would try to do some experimentation w/ this if I had an I/O with a large engine compartment that needed cooling. But most of you know I don't:D just tossing it out for consideration.

Another thought; I'd bet that HMS electronics would sell their dual controllers w/ lower temp thresholds in order to better fit this application. You'd be surprised what a company will do if asked; especially if their product could be used in another market application. Food for thought.

hotdaddy27

She's an eyepopper alright! I noticed after browsing thru his album Red gets alot of those pics it seems. He's doin somethin right........er wrong:D

Hick

and heres another twist on this, I have heard of cases where usually in twin engine boats they actually starve for air under power, not enough vent size and with the heat build up cause engine damage, saw a tech issue on it somewhere.....and yes red I know what the chevelle flappers look like, I had a 70, 71 and a 72 all with them, that one you have there looks killer !!!! Rob

I like rough water

C'mon Red, Just a static boob-shot? where's that avitar of the girl in the offroad Nissan commerical where things appear to bounce a little?
Do I have to spend time on the net myself to find it?? :bounce:

sm-2.jpg

I completely forgot what this thread was about after reading this well informed post :drool:. Thanks alot Old Hickory!

In spite of her being the checkmate school marm, she kinda dose have that effect. Never know when she'll turn turn up; ready to give detention or a few good spankings. :banana:

Hick

Since I don't have a sun deck to mess up, was thinking of putting one of these scoops I found on Summit on the Strobe.....opinions???

Attachments

• DSC00117.jpg
    DSC00117.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
  • hrd-3153_s.jpg
    hrd-3153_s.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 23
Just my thoughts.

Every time I see a boat or a car with a big scoop I expect to here something that rattles the ground when it starts. Its very disappointing to here something start with a huge scoop that has a stock motor. The look I get on my face is the same look a kid gets at Christmas time when he opens his present and finds clothes :(

Back