• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

starflite. finally gonna do it!?!?!

smit401

as most of you know this starflite of mine has been around and discussed for about 2 years. the wife left me alone on saturday(unattended) and I decided to take a look at the transom to see just how bad it is. I love the style of these boats and this one has awesome colors so I started ripping and here is what I found.
As I told a few of you looking to buy it the floor is solid. thats because it was already replaced. the transome has water damage down pretty far as best I can tell. I'll dig into it further this week and let you know more details.

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 74
a couple of more pics

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 77
Ha Ha! SWEET!!!! A Starflite restore thread! I love these things...the threads and the boats. In my mind, the Starflite is the Royalty of Checkmate outboard hulls. The 2100 and the 2400 are both fabulous as well...but there's just someting about a Starflite.

Good luck and I'll be checking in frequently.

You probably can get the all the patterns from JTPatroni if he still has them for the rebuild. That would take alot of the guess work out. Good luck and keep the pictures coming!!!

I do have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.
1. the bow is full of foam. does it stay or does it get removed for the rebuild?it is dry.
2. has anyone ever heard back from coop regarding the cooler lids. this goes way back, he was gonna borrow one and make a mold. I still need two.
3. what is the cost for an original interior from Checkmate and who is the contact there?

I do have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.
1. the bow is full of foam. does it stay or does it get removed for the rebuild?it is dry.
2. has anyone ever heard back from coop regarding the cooler lids. this goes way back, he was gonna borrow one and make a mold. I still need two.
3. what is the cost for an original interior from Checkmate and who is the contact there?

Get rid of all the foam...you'll save weight and avoid future moisture problems. If you're concerned about floatation, build a forward bulkhead with and access door and stuff your life preservers in the bow. While you have the deck off, I would also check the health of your stringers even though you say the floor was once replaced. It's alot easier to redo the floor and stringers correctly now than putting in alot of work on the transom just to find out the stringers were bad to begin with. Looking forward to seeing you progress!:thumb:

Wow thats a lot of foam. I believe most people have been quoted around $850 for interior skins.

Dump the foam! Just good for problems and weight. Patroni is on vacation in the thousand islands for the next week but last time I was down to him when he redid my floor he was very clear that he can re-fabricate cooler lids by the dozen. And if you saw his facility you'd also have no doubt (as did I) this guy can do anything he says.

I took a piece of cardboard and traced the transom from the outside, then slowly trimmed it to fit inside after all of the old rotted wood was removed. It was not hard at all. Don't forget to add some real knees to support the transom. Good luck on your resto :bigthumb:

Back