• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

cracked transom glass

playing devils advocate here but there is a chance the previous owner replaced the transom but did not fix the crack. But I would make completely for sure first. hopefully you find good new when you get home.

Well finally got home an got a look first hand the wood is def wet i drilled some holes around the inside like said it is wet i think the crack came from water sitting between the glass layer am wood because it has started to seperate from the top down. Looks like a full rebuild is on its way the last boat i did was a 79 baja i did transom floor an center stringer but i have done some more reading since then what is this 1708 cloth i have some woven an csm left from last glass job but this 1708 seems to be easier to work with does it go with polyester resin is it the cats meow how many layers of it are nessary for the floor an transom.

Well finally got home an got a look first hand the wood is def wet i drilled some holes around the inside like said it is wet i think the crack came from water sitting between the glass layer am wood because it has started to seperate from the top down. Looks like a full rebuild is on its way the last boat i did was a 79 baja i did transom floor an center stringer but i have done some more reading since then what is this 1708 cloth i have some woven an csm left from last glass job but this 1708 seems to be easier to work with does it go with polyester resin is it the cats meow how many layers of it are nessary for the floor an transom.

Everyone here has their on way of doing restorations. Here's what I would do:
the floor 1/2"or 5/8' exterior plywood or douglas fir fully encapsulated with mat and resin. Both sides coat the wood with polyester let it soak in, next one layer of 1.5 oz csm. Do the same on the top and wrap the mat around the edges. Once the stringers and transom is in, fill in around the edges with either marine bondo or hull and deck putty for a smooth transition between the floor and hull. Glass the floor in place from side to side with 2 layers of 1.5 oz csm.

Next the stringers or stringer do the same encapsulate the tringer/stringers. I would either use hull and deck putty or cabosil to embed the stringer to the hull making sure it no hard spots( stringer touching the hull). Us 1708 on both sides making sure you go up to the top and at least 6" on the hull.

After the inner/outer skin is repaired, next is the transom.

Finally the transom same as above, a layer of 1.5 oz csm both sides fully encapsulated. Use 3/4" douglas fir for the transom. Next embed the transom to the inner skin using cabosil and resin or hull and deck putty, clamp that tight and leave alone a few days to cure. Now you can either use three layers of 1708 staggering each layer, make sure to go at 6" pass on either side of the hull. Or you can use this lay up: 2 layers of 1.5 oz csm, 1 layer of woven roven and the last layer of 1.5 oz csm.

Here's a visual to go by borrowed from another website:

Attachments

• DeckInstallation.jpg
    DeckInstallation.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 34 Stringers.jpg
    34 Stringers.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 110
  • TransomBuild_1.jpg
    TransomBuild_1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 109
Yea when i ordered my stuff for the last go around i ordered 20 yards of 3 different types of glass way over board i could have built a fleet of boats with what i got. I am going to order some 1708 i used douglas fir on last job i used 3 layers of 1/2 inch in that transom is it any better to use 2 layers of 3/4 over 3 layers of 1/2. Also how do you keep the roller from getting locked up wit resin an be able to use it a few times

Yea when i ordered my stuff for the last go around i ordered 20 yards of 3 different types of glass way over board i could have built a fleet of boats with what i got. I am going to order some 1708 i used douglas fir on last job i used 3 layers of 1/2 inch in that transom is it any better to use 2 layers of 3/4 over 3 layers of 1/2. Also how do you keep the roller from getting locked up wit resin an be able to use it a few times

Buy plenty of roller covers, acetone will keep the roller cage from gumming up!! I have a bucket filled with acetone for that purpose. I think it doesn't matter which thickness you good with, probably depends on what you're hanging off the back. Personally I would go with 2-3/4" pieces bonded together.

I meant the air bubble roller thing just soak it n acetone i guess will keep it from getting glued together

Well i used the boat all season with the crack in the glass never got any worse i just 5200 it up an all was well. Now the work begins the season is ending i am going to start the restoration now. I am cutting the floor out an going to split it i want to glass the out side of the crack before i cut transom out so it dosent spread open on me. Should i just grind it out an csm it. With a layer or 2 i am geting whole boat painted after glass work is done. Need advise

Well i used the boat all season with the crack in the glass never got any worse i just 5200 it up an all was well. Now the work begins the season is ending i am going to start the restoration now. I am cutting the floor out an going to split it i want to glass the out side of the crack before i cut transom out so it dosent spread open on me. Should i just grind it out an csm it. With a layer or 2 i am geting whole boat painted after glass work is done. Need advise

Grind the crack out at least three or four inches on either side, making sure to remove all the gelcoat in that area. Then build it up with 1.5 oz csm after that use filler to smooth out the rough areas prior to painting.

Well for me it is i go back to work in a few days an i work for 30 days at a time i wont get back home till the middle of sept. So it will be about time to start snatching it apart for me any how that is getting in to bird hunting season lol

Back