• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1979 Predictor restore!!!!

here's the stringers in mine
i'd check the transom to while your at it
normal_Checkmate_Repair_3_09_011a.jpg

Yea, definitely check the transom, and if you get anything other than white wood when you drill into it, it prolly needs to be redone, Even after drilling I thought mine was mostly fine, but tore into it anyways, and I am glad I did.:irked:

Ok...almost done grinding!!! WHAT A MESS!!!! Feeling kinda relieved and proud that Im doing this!!! Thanks to everyone who advised and posted!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0150.jpg
    DSCN0150.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0151.jpg
    DSCN0151.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0149.jpg
    DSCN0149.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 77
Doing a good job. I agree with the others check the transom while it's tore apart. I thought mine was ok until I removed the knee braces.

I will tommorrow. Gonna drill a couple holes in it from the inside with a 3/4 paddle bit.....please be ok!!!!

That's exactly what I did with my Eluder's transom. Even then there was a little bit of uncertainty (or maybe more like wishful thinking) as to whether the wood was dry or not. I took the shavings in a zip-lock bag to work where I weighed them before and after drying to see exactly how much moisture was in the wood. It was SOAKED (of course condensation on the inside of those baggies pretty much told me that). As it turned out my transom had a lot of water in it, but wasn't yet full of rot (although that was sure to follow).

But anyway, good decision to check the transom. Seeing how wet the rest of the wood is there's a decent chance the transom will be wet as well.

Slamramm99 did you put drainage holes in your stringer so water can get from the outside boxes to the center?(I can see holes in the center bulkheads, but not the stringers)

You should lay them in structural marine putty/bedding compound and radius the corners with the structural putty, and then glass. If you can do it all in one step it would be good(otherwise if your using "waxed" resin you will have to sand before glassing.

You should lay them in structural marine putty/bedding compound and radius the corners with the structural putty, and then glass. If you can do it all in one step it would be good(otherwise if your using "waxed" resin you will have to sand before glassing.
Im gonna try and do evrything at one time. I think im gonna lay them in a bed of resin and glass and weight them down!?!?! Anyway it wont be today because of the storm coming!!!:irked:

I was wondering how the transom test went? I looked in your thread for pics of the transom from an inside view but didn't see any. A common indicator is if you have black or rust marks where bolts are or were, the chances of a bad transom are real high.

You should be fine bedding the stringers with PL Premo. I find PL hard to fillet though so you might need to mix up some pb after they're bedded for the fillet and then glass. 3M 4200 would work also but cost a little more and I don't have any experince with it. The most important thing is you do not want to create a hard spot on the hull.

Also, are you using poly or epoxy for your resin?

I was wondering how the transom test went? I looked in your thread for pics of the transom from an inside view but didn't see any. A common indicator is if you have black or rust marks where bolts are or were, the chances of a bad transom are real high.

You should be fine bedding the stringers with PL Premo. I find PL hard to fillet though so you might need to mix up some pb after they're bedded for the fillet and then glass. 3M 4200 would work also but cost a little more and I don't have any experince with it. The most important thing is you do not want to create a hard spot on the hull.

Yep...change of plans today! pulling off the engine and deck today! Transom was wet...not soft or rotting! Playin it safe...gonna do a new transom!!!! :yell:

Im not sure what the hell Im doin with the resin or glass!! My only experience with glass was repairing a hole in my jetski!!! My cousin is gonna help my with the glass, he has done two transoms!!!

well here are some pics...Yesterday I cut the wood for the floor...but now have to do the transom, so the floor is obviously on hold! Removed the motor today! Gonna remove the deck now!!

Attachments

• DSCN0155.jpg
    DSCN0155.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0156.jpg
    DSCN0156.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0157.jpg
    DSCN0157.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 81
Some pics of the transom!!! More to follow when I open it up!!

Attachments

• DSCN0152.jpg
    DSCN0152.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0153.jpg
    DSCN0153.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0154.jpg
    DSCN0154.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 72
Back