• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1979 Predictor restore!!!!

I would like to see one with no splashwell!!! Anybody!?!?!?! Somebody!?!?!

i'm thinking you could take a peice of plywood, cut to fit the current splashwell, then glass it in place and presto no more splashwell. it looks good in my head - not sure about real life!

Well...I was looking at trhe whole picture and I dont think my setback on my jackplate is far enough to allow for trimming...therefore I am gonna leave my splashwell alone!!! :confused:

I thought Old Hickory was doing away with his spashwell? I'm pretty sure he has a blog on the progress but I don't think it's completed.

Well...I was looking at trhe whole picture and I dont think my setback on my jackplate is far enough to allow for trimming...therefore I am gonna leave my splashwell alone!!! :confused:

you think? does your engine tilt up that high? i have never seen mine with a motor on it.

Ok!!! Got her seperated and starting to work on the rebuild! The transom will be redone with 3/4 aqua tech marine plywood with two layers of fiberglass between two sheets!! The floor will have 3/8 aqua tech marine ply! Starting to sand and prime...get her ready for paint!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0162.jpg
    DSCN0162.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0163.jpg
    DSCN0163.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0164.jpg
    DSCN0164.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 54
....3/4 aqua tech marine plywood with two layers of fiberglass between two sheets

Fiberglass between the sheets of plywood doesn't buy you anything strengthwise. The center of a core is at zero stress, all the action is at the outer skins so if you want to add strength that's where to do it.

Fiberglass between the sheets of plywood doesn't buy you anything strengthwise. The center of a core is at zero stress, all the action is at the outer skins so if you want to add strength that's where to do it.
Ok...thanks!! I didnt know that! Thats why this site is so awesome!!! :cheers:

Ok!!! Got her seperated and starting to work on the rebuild! The transom will be redone with 3/4 aqua tech marine plywood with two layers of fiberglass between two sheets!! The floor will have 3/8 aqua tech marine ply! Starting to sand and prime...get her ready for paint!!!

you think 3/8 is strong enough? i'm using regular 1/2" plywood, don't think marine really buys you anything but fewer knot holes, especially if both sides will be glassed. just a thought.

you think 3/8 is strong enough? i'm using regular 1/2" plywood, don't think marine really buys you anything but fewer knot holes, especially if both sides will be glassed. just a thought.
Its only 28" wide and I have crossmembers in it...3/8 is plenty! And agua is way way better than just fewer knot holes!!!!

I was just curious as to the price for a sheet of the aqua tech plywood?
Well if I didnt have a connection in the lumber yard.... I got the 4x8 3/4 and 4x10 3/8 and enough 2x4 and 6's to build two horses for the deck to sit on for a hundred bucks....thats a sweet deal!!! But like I said I have a hook up!!!

I got the 4x8 3/4 and 4x10 3/8 and enough 2x4 and 6's to build two horses for the deck to sit on for a hundred bucks....thats a sweet deal!!! But like I said I have a hook up!!!

OK, I'm jealous. :D I paid $85 for a piece of 3/4 marine plywood for the transom (with enough leftover to build knees and a transom brace), then used 1/2" ACX for the decking.

I kinda took a break today to watch them Saints...9-0 baby!!! Anyway here are some pics of the dash, getting all new gauges, so I am relocating them and have to fill the old holes. And what a cluster F#$@ of wires! I also suppoted the sides with some 2x4s to keep the sides right!

Attachments

• DSCN0165.jpg
    DSCN0165.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0167.jpg
    DSCN0167.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 51
Well if anyone is still following this...I cut the floor tonight and will be glassing this weekend!!! I went ahead and followed the original floor plan!!

Attachments

• DSCN0168.jpg
    DSCN0168.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0169.jpg
    DSCN0169.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN0170.jpg
    DSCN0170.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 56
Back