• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HOW FAST IS YOUR CHECKMATE? EVERYONE!

I'm still in the testing mode~ I have a 1979 Trimate II that I have a 6 in CMC hydrolic jack plate a 2.4 Black Max that is modified and is putting out 240-250 hp , I have a 28 pitch Britt's Cut Chopper prop and my last test run I got 63 mph at 1/2 throttle on GPS ( tac was bad so I didn't get a true reading, best I could tell it was 5,500 rpm )
I added a whale tail so that eliminate the notorious ~ Chine Walk~, had white caps so I didn't open it up just kept it at 1/2 throttle, only the 4th run on a fresh broke in power head ( I built myself )
my goal is 75 - 80 mph by the end of the summer ~ wicked grins~ ;)

88 senator BBC

I ran on 70 gps last summer, stock 330 bbc with an xz drive and imco shorty with a 23 pitch 3 blade repitched to 25, + imco powerflow headers. I am so impressed with how well the boat handles (until I way overtrim it) even in choppy water.

So here is where I need some input....my 598 with dart 360`s, crower hyd. roller cam, team g intake and 1050 dominator is done and ready to stuff in the boat. I`m sure I have more power than boat, but what does everyone on here think? Should I just toss my 496 in there and look for more boat or hope this one can handle it? I really like the boat and am kind of looking forward to a really fast summer!

I`m saving a fresh 468 and stock drive for it untill I can swing a 25` convincor... but then I`ll drop some compression and put a procharger on it.

I guess that depends on where and what kind of boating you do. I have a very good friend that used to own a Senator with a BBC in it and i thought it was too heavy. It sat like it was doing a wheelie all the time and road and handled like crap in anything but perfect water. In perfect water it was a true 70mph boat, which was really cool. but all around I don't think you have enough boat to mess with it.

Save the HP for the 25 convincor and you will have a very nice well rounded boat.

I appreciate your responce. I boat on the rivers around Pittsburgh... they are usually pretty calm, and I know enough to back off when the waves are too much. as long as I hit them fairly straight on its fine. it does kind of ride "nose up" but handles really well. I`m sure the shorty with a nose cone helps that some. I`ve already moved the fuel tank forward 3", and the batterys are going in the ski compartment.

I`m sure your right tho.... better set the rev chip to about 4000 so I`m around for the boat that will take all the power!

Does it matter anymore? ive recently figured out that it doesnt. Mines fast enough and speedo or gps it doesnt make my manhood any bigger

I guess I must have said a 100 times on here -- they are sport boats. (Checkmate) that run as good as any, and look a whole lot better. Be happy with that.
Wanna go fast and do notin else -- Buy a go fast boat:brickwall:

Yeah, im just good where its at and i like going fast as the next person, but does it matter? people stretch the truth anyhow. does anyone whether its here or any other forum really tell the truth about thier speed?

I ran on 70 gps last summer, stock 330 bbc with an xz drive and imco shorty with a 23 pitch 3 blade repitched to 25, + imco powerflow headers. I am so impressed with how well the boat handles (until I way overtrim it) even in choppy water.

How much chop you runnin' in??

I don't think they handle all that well... yes its easier to drive than the predictor at 80...but the senator in the low 70's aires out pretty good and i would NOT want to get into to much big chop with it
My $0.02

since this is a "how fast" thread, and i haven't posted on it yet, im sure most of you already know..;)

'89 senator, 350 sbc, stock alpha drive, spinnin a 23" cleaver, 2 people, 3/4 tank of fuel.... 71.4 gps

'78 predictor w/200, ive had it to just a smidge over 81, but i think illmattic had it a little quicker,... can't remember for sure..

once in a while when the wind kicks up we get 1-2`s. it likes them, just skimmping the top. what it dont like is passing other boats and catching the waves sideways. I`ve figured that out by trimming down and cornering them. still no cig top gun, but I havent rolled it yet! (yes, I wear my tether!)
I`ve seen your senator on here before Mr. Buss, looks like mine without the red bottom. I know its wrong putting power in this one, but I work on a lot of boats and really like it. If I sell my mud racing operation I`ll buy something like the 30' purple one Kunkle has for sale but with twins. for now this one is a whole lot of fun and beating the crap out of it all last summer it cost me 2 qts of oil. I spent a little more $$ putting a good drive together but at least I only had to do it once (so far)....
someone suggested a few #`s of sandbags in the ski compartment to settle it down? anyone ever tried that? I know a fat chick in the front seat works somewhat!

Does it matter? He says. :lol:

You should only say that phrase if:

A) You get beat down by your wife daily.

B) You own a Bayliner.

C) You are over weight and afraid to take your
shirt off on a boat.

D) All of the above.

:devil::devil:

yes, fast.

Speed dont matter???? What` this, the Starcraft / Bayliner forum?
icon5.gif

Last I looked the Checkmate logo said "performance boats" under it.

If you need something with a kitchen thats fine... I want FAST!.
icon10.gif

its all good

for me:p bay aint froze up again yet, and wood smoke is billowing from the shop chimney. but what i know shop & you think is a shop, is a hallucination. the boats i just seen in preparation of the holy war, i mean flight, for this spring, drive me to drink in anticipation.:cheers: ive been informed that i can only fly in the am after i sober up. if im allowed to fly this awesome boat, then i better quit the day before that morning, so i dont overdose on adrenalin & require cheek surgery. got know how to mix the whiskey with the flight for the proper ratio of smile:D. theres nothing like the smell of burnt 2 stroke oil. i like a good wiff while sitting in the ramp, while sitting in the ramp, preparing for the drink:) preparing for a smile. dont let a fool, in a bush, with a half gallon, confuse you with the real fool:sssh:

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 25
its not always about fast

its how much smile you acheieve, & how close the corner of our mouths get to our ears.:bigthumb:

Attachments

• top secret gearcase.jpg
    top secret gearcase.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 24
slow fun for fast brains

during small craft advisory, side too a good sea gives us cheek hangovers:thumb:

Attachments

• smilemaker2.jpg
    smilemaker2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 30
theres never enough

i couldnt posts all the boats we have for some reason. my motor man has them hanging from the ceiling @ 12 foot long, to the back of his mercury graveyard of 15 acres. im possessed, & ive met a fool who wants to get as much out of life as i do. i hate it when the bay freezes. makes me boil over in anticipation of showing a fool, with a smile.:banana:

Attachments

• ill drink to my drinking to my drinking to that 001.jpg
    ill drink to my drinking to my drinking to that 001.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 33
theres never enough

aint but 2 kinds, good old big ones, & big old good ones, & little tiny giant ones. mark my word, all white, 18', 1 seat front & 2 in bak, steering helm center, adjustable hot foot left or right foot, frowns on our face because of winter:drool:

Thanks to all for info on alt kit for my old merc. As far as how fast I saw a crappy post on lies on speed. My GPS don't lie. And at 68 mph @ $2700 bucks in boat motor trailer and boomer stereo aint too bad . Do I get passed by fast bass boats , yep. Don't care. My Mate looks alot better than theirs and my boat is 31 years old. To all fellow Maters come to Lake Sante Fe we will have fun. 6,000 acres worth. Would love to see your boats.

Bruce 1979 Enchanter

Back