• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Which boat?

Just hearing that word cumberland! I can't wait for Summer :D

Just an hour ago I was cruzing the houseboats sites for planning another trip this yr with guys from work! look for us around the party cove this yr!

I like the long decks with B.Bs.

I really like that purple Convincor at Grand Sport Center. I have looked at it several times in the classifieds on OSO. But then again, I am not an open bow guy.

The Convincor has just over 25' of true hull length and the ZT230 (23' LOA) with it's molded swim platform probably only gives you about 21' of true length. Apples and oranges in my book. I think the big question was asked alredy, what kind of water will you primarily boat in and do you want or need the cabin?

another point for the 230 is the swivel seats. when anchored you can move them around and it becomes party central. that part i do miss alot the bolsters on the bigger boats are needed but man they do suck up some cabin space. i will have to recheck mercs website and try and remember what my hourly fuel burn rate was in my zt240 with the 6.2 vs my 280 with 496 ho. i think at 3500 rpm the 6.2 was about 7 gph and speed was mid 40,s and with the 496 3500 mid 40,s is closer to 11 gph. you can find compareable boats on mercurys website just compare rpms and gph. again with either engine the sweet spot for fuel economy and speed is around 3500rpm no doubt the big block is faster but if your just interested in cruiseing around i think you will find the small block less thirsty. i would not want a small block in a 25+ boat but the 230 and 240 are in the 21- 22 ft range and 300 to 320 hp small blocks are not to far from the power of the older big blocks. torque is a little different.

Last edited:
If you do plan on any water sports or plan on hauling more then 4 people around much and do not plan to use the cuddy then I'd stick with a bow-rider.

I have a 288 Sunsation and it's cockpit is bigger then the 259 and any more then 4-5 people and your crowded.

Do like I did buy a sweet closed bow for you and the Mrs, and a bowrider for playing..:D I probably have more fun driving my 185 Pulse then my big boat, unless it's really rough out..

Both do what they are intended for well, but neither does what they weren't intended for well if you get my drift..... :cheers:

man, I like all those boats, Never seen one of those 27 convicors with the open bow area, thats wicked. I always like bowriders, but dont have kids or anything that would benefit from a cabin.

I really done some thinking about all the boats I have owned. Now here is my 02 of what I feel is the best.

If I wanted a lake boat with a open bow it would be a O/B, the hassle of a I/O sucks. Their is nothing better than taking a O/B and lowering it down and the water falls out. The maintanace on a I/O really sucks compared to a O/B. The 2400 300X is the best boat to have in a open bow. But on the other hand that 270 would ride better with more room and have that Big Block rumble.

man, I like all those boats, Never seen one of those 27 convicors with the open bow area, thats wicked. I always like bowriders, but dont have kids or anything that would benefit from a cabin.

No Kids and can not benefit from a cabin, Damn bro you only seen half of boating. Drop a anchor in a cove one evening and spend the night. Their is nothing better than sleeping on your boat in a cove after a long day of boating.

I really feel sorry for the people that never sleep on their boat. They have no clue on what they are missing. Just because the sun goes down does not mean the boat must be on the trailer.

No Kids and can not benefit from a cabin, Damn bro you only seen half of boating. Drop a anchor in a cove one evening and spend the night. Their is nothing better than sleeping on your boat in a cove after a long day of boating.

I really feel sorry for the people that never sleep on their boat. They have no clue on what they are missing. Just because the sun goes down does not mean the boat must be on the trailer.

boat camping is a absolute blast! i grew up doing it, and i have done it with my kids!:bigthumb:

Are you going to make it back to Cumberland this summer?:D
So far the plan is to go look at the Convincor 259 on tuesday and I would like to come to the rally in cumberland on July 23. But we are going to the Ozarks I belive a week and a half before the rally, so we would only be home for like 2 or 3 days and then head down to cumberland so we will see... But if i cant make it to the rally we will still come down some other time during the summer.:thumb:

Did you find a boat yet?... I have a beatiful 2007 ZT230BR I am willing to deal, the boat is flawless with I believe 105hrs. It has a 495mag 375hp. Runs 70-72 with a 26p Bravo I prop. I also have 24p Bravo I. The boat is in Canton Ohio. call me at 330-546-2916. Good luck in your search. Alex

Did you find a boat yet?... I have a beatiful 2007 ZT230BR I am willing to deal, the boat is flawless with I believe 105hrs. It has a 495mag 375hp. Runs 70-72 with a 26p Bravo I prop. I also have 24p Bravo I. The boat is in Canton Ohio. call me at 330-546-2916. Good luck in your search. Alex
Im going to go look at the purple 259 this weekend. I just havent got around to it with the snow storm here in illinois last week it put a delay on everything! Im kinda leaning towards the 25 footers I like the closed bow look.

Good luck in your search and let me know if you change your mine. I can email you a pic of it if you give me your e-mail.

Back