• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff , i finally viewed the Butt Dents thread and hell yes why not give it a try .............considering i thought you were talking about the sides of the deck , and as you explained in are conversation i agree that adding glass , core and a little weight to make everything come back to form / shape ..... or removing the Butt dents like you mentioned :lol: is a very good idea ............... :bigthumb:

Stay the course and keep it White :lol::lol::lol: if you know what i mean :lol: and i know you do .:lol:

you mean like this OG ?...that was a gallon of us composites 150 thick epoxy resin with cabasil....:poke:...worth the 75.00 I think...ill take better pics in the am after I cover the complete floor with 17 oz. bi-axle...can you tell from my posts i like 17 0z bi-axle ...:thumb:

Attachments

• floor replace 017.jpg
    floor replace 017.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 104
  • floor replace 015.jpg
    floor replace 015.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 94
  • floor replace 008.jpg
    floor replace 008.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 93
you mean like this OG ?...that was a gallon of us composites 150 thick epoxy resin with cabasil....:poke:...worth the 75.00 I think...ill take better pics in the am after I cover the complete floor with 17 oz. bi-axle...can you tell from my posts i like 17 0z bi-axle ...:thumb:
I am glad that you like the 17 oz Bi -Ax considering you have learned to work with it very well which i feel .......is very user friendly if you treat it somewhat gentle for the pure fact it can and will distort ,and like i mentioned yesterday some people who use that fabric for the first time .....like your self somewhat freak because they are not use to fabrics designed for Epoxy like the 17 oz with no binder or chop back . Jeff , once again looking good and thank god for cabosil , & cant wait to see the pics of the floor totally glassed in ............................Yah Man;)

I am glad that you like the 17 oz Bi -Ax considering you have learned to work with it very well which i feel .......is very user friendly if you treat it somewhat gentle for the pure fact it can and will distort ,and like i mentioned yesterday some people who use that fabric for the first time .....like your self somewhat freak because they are not use to fabrics designed for Epoxy like the 17 oz with no binder or chop back . Jeff , once again looking good and thank god for cabosil , & cant wait to see the pics of the floor totally glassed in ............................Yah Man;)

well here you go...glassed the complete floor and bilge/well area with 17 oz....

Attachments

• floor repair 011.jpg
    floor repair 011.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 75
  • floor repair 008.jpg
    floor repair 008.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 77
  • floor repair 010.jpg
    floor repair 010.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 78
some pics of how i manage the 17 oz in my favor....Im thinking i have it water tight! :drool:.. I used about a gallon of us composites 635 thin epoxy resin with medium harder, it has 30 min pot life...and in the cooler air i had more than enough time to roll it out...where the two pieces of 7 ply marine plywood meet, I routed 3/4 inch round on both sections so its tight at the bottom, but gave me enough room to get a good fill on the top...

Attachments

• floor repair 015.jpg
    floor repair 015.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 72
  • floor repair 012.jpg
    floor repair 012.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 70
  • floor repair 014.jpg
    floor repair 014.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 69
lots of cabosil..the total rebuild looks like 2 - 4 gallon buckets of cabosil from US composites...sounds like a sales pitch...Ha!....actually I would recommend US composites to anyone, good stuff fast shipping....:bigthumb:

Attachments

• floor repair 006.jpg
    floor repair 006.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 83
  • floor repair 007.jpg
    floor repair 007.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 90
  • floor repair 003.jpg
    floor repair 003.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 82
looking good Jeff! I would say you're going to break 70mph, but i think you weigh more now with this heavy duty rebuild:thumb:

Can't wait to see it complete and in the water again:surf:

looking good Jeff! I would say you're going to break 70mph, but i think you weigh more now with this heavy duty rebuild:thumb:

Can't wait to see it complete and in the water again:surf:

Thanks!...Actually, Im thinking im still lighter...although I feel Ive done a better job with the fiberglass work than what was there...Im not sure it was all that light...first off it was woven roven, so that takes alot of resin, second everything including the transom was soaking wet, with that and the 3-5 gal buckets of water under the floor, I still hit 69 GPS with the new prop!:D My back seat is made from 3/4 inch pressure treated, i will be lightening that up as well....

I think i shed at least 175lbs....oh ya, I dont have that soaking wet foam under the floor either....Im looking at set back and new steering now...

Thanks!...Actually, Im thinking im still lighter...although I feel Ive done a better job with the fiberglass work than what was there...Im not sure it was all that light...first off it was woven roven, so that takes alot of resin, second everything including the transom was soaking wet, with that and the 3-5 gal buckets of water under the floor, I still hit 69 GPS with the new prop!:D My back seat is made from 3/4 inch pressure treated, i will be lightening that up as well....

I think i shed at least 175lbs....oh ya, I dont have that soaking wet foam under the floor either....Im looking at set back and new steering now...
Jeff , contrary to what some people may think not only will the boat be lighter put stronger...... just because of the combination of fabric and resin ( Epoxy ) that were used for your project and like i mentioned in a previous post this is the nicest piece of workmanship i have seen on this forum at this point in time , and to tell you the truth .......i can tell that you are somewhat of a perfectionist and a person who pays attention to detail just from viewing your pics overall ,and :bigthumb: thumb's up my friend for a job well done .

Last edited:
Jeff , just curious have you given much thought on painting the bilge and what paint you are going to use ... maybe Imron or .......................... and are you still thinking of re-doing the bottom like mentioned previously . :sssh:

Jeff , contrary to what some people may think not only will the boat be lighter put stronger...... just because of the combination of fabric and resin ( Epoxy ) that were used for your project and like i mentioned in a previous post this is the nicest piece of workmanship i have seen on this forum at this point in time , and to tell you the truth .......i can tell that you are somewhat of a perfectionist and a person who pays attention to detail just from viewing your pics overall ,and :bigthumb: thumb's up my friend for a job well done .

FYI - my comment about being heavier now was joke:rof:

it should obviously be lighter now, minus all of the water logged foam and wood. It was simple :poke: at all of the gallons of cabosil and the fact the rebuild is "heavy" duty.:cheers:

FYI - my comment about being heavier now was joke:rof:

it should obviously be lighter now, minus all of the water logged foam and wood. It was simple :poke: at all of the gallons of cabosil and the fact the rebuild is "heavy" duty.:cheers:

I figured that :thumb:, but the thought had crossed my mind to keep it as light as possible...will be doing some work in the "cabin" to make it more user friendly...

Jeff , just curious have you given much thought on painting the bilge and what paint you are going to use ... maybe Imron or .......................... and are you still thinking of re-doing the bottom like mentioned previously . :sssh:

I am going to paint that area...Im still deciding on painting the hull...if i do Ill have the painter shoot it at the same time...if not, Ill be doing it myself before i attach the top...and it will be Imron...:D

so the fun continues...the foam "core" on the bottom of the bow had come loose on one side...I never liked how it felt when you walked on the bow anyway. So i decided to remove both sides of 1/4 inch foam covered with CSM, grind it to the structurally sound glass and install new 1/2 inch core. So another words i will install a layer of 1708, 1/2" balsa core, 1 layer of 17 oz bi-axle to cover it all...at the same time i find if i add about 60 lbs of wieght to the "butt dents" they disappear...ill apply the 1708, then cabosil to the bottom of the core set it in place add the weight let it dry and they should be gone....heres the before...

Attachments

• 2012-02-16_14-26-31_236.jpg
    2012-02-16_14-26-31_236.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 2012-02-16_15-39-22_996.jpg
    2012-02-16_15-39-22_996.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 2012-02-16_15-53-12_336.jpg
    2012-02-16_15-53-12_336.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 67
artie

heres the pics artie

Attachments

• hook 012.jpg
    hook 012.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 83
  • hook 013.jpg
    hook 013.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 84
  • hook 010.jpg
    hook 010.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 74
heres the pics artie
Wow ..............Jeff first off that bottom has a tremendous hook in it which can scrap speed and just curious have you taken a straight edge to the bottom at all ,and do both side's or bottom .....of the boat pretty much look the same ? # 2 the trailer is not a very good choice for a High Performance boat ( rollers ) which really would be better off with Bunks instead of rollers , and Jeff , i surely will give you a call tomorrow ole friend to talk more about this ..............................Artie

Wow ..............Jeff first off that bottom has a tremendous hook in it which can scrap speed and just curious have you taken a straight edge to the bottom at all ,and do both side's or bottom .....of the boat pretty much look the same ? # 2 the trailer is not a very good choice for a High Performance boat ( rollers ) which really would be better off with Bunks instead of rollers , and Jeff , i surely will give you a call tomorrow ole friend to talk more about this ..............................Artie

Thanks artie...I have taken a straight edge to it,...the starboard is hooked as the pic shows...but the port is straight...wierd?...and i will be adding bunks to this trailer...its only been on that trailer for a short time....I hope I havent done any damage with my repairs...anyway it will be flipped over to correct what i can...or thats the plan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back