• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Good upholstery shops in tri-state area

knarloid

As it says in the title.
Looking for some options for upholstery shops in the NJ/NY/CT (or eastern PA) area. I will be doing my Convincors cabin and cockpit and don't want a basic job.

Please share the names of any good shops you know of and their websites/galleries if available. I'd like to check out their work if possible before contacting.
:thumb:

Not quite.
It won't be a straight replacement for the original - want to modernize the look.

When I redid my 88 Enforcer I called KIP at Checkmate and redid my Interior with a load of help from him. I bought the seats already covered with new hardware. The bench CM just sent me the cover and I had a local guy do the work. The Engine hatch cover I designed, and Kip had it made in his shop.

Dont know if this helps but I get a ton of compliments. The only photos I have is the Engine Cover.20150312_101838 (1).jpg

I think I'm getting pretty good value on my dollars at the factory. I priced out an interior in Fargo, but they were all car shops and didn't like boats so their price reflected that. There was a boat shop in Bismarck that I contacted about sand and polish on the gel and they were obscenely expensive.

I haven't seen my finished boat yet, but so far I'm feeling good about the value received for the dollars spent.

There is a shop out in the Williamsport PA area that a friend recommended for my wood boat.

It is called Weavers. I will look for his business card. My friend was pleased with the work done for his antique truck. I was told he does boats as well.
Give me a few days to find the number if you are interested in going out that far. Approx 1-1/2 hours west of I-476 (PA Turnpike - Northeast Extension) on I-80 and I-180. Not sure how long a drive from Morristown to 476 on 80

There is a shop out in the Williamsport PA area that a friend recommended for my wood boat.

It is called Weavers. I will look for his business card. My friend was pleased with the work done for his antique truck. I was told he does boats as well.
Give me a few days to find the number if you are interested in going out that far. Approx 1-1/2 hours west of I-476 (PA Turnpike - Northeast Extension) on I-80 and I-180. Not sure how long a drive from Morristown to 476 on 80

Thanks Jim.
This could be a good omen......Weaver is SWMBO's pre-knarloid name ;)

http://weaversautoupholstery.com/recreation-vehicles/2777464

About 3 hours away - I could handle that. Website images look good.
I'll give them a call.

Hey Kris,
My vote would be for Batten the Hatches in Lake Hopatcong. They have been the go to shop in this area for the last 25 years. I have never heard of anyone that wasn't happy with her (Maria's) work. I don't think they have a great web site but you can see them on Facebook. I think Sim may have had something done there. Her website is battenthehatches.wix.com
They make really nice stuff at pretty reasonable prices.

Dressler's in central Pa. They did my 251. Great workmanship, fast turnaround, fair price, like working on boats & someone told me they did work for Jay Leno. I can't vouch for the latter part, but I can for the rest! 717 463-2347

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I've dropped a note to Batten Down the Hatches this evening. I recall Sim mentioning the name a few years ago when he had his sunpad done.

I am going to have mine done at a place in Mt Holly, NJ called Back In Time Upholstery. Their webpage is not all that great, but it is a couple old school guys that have been doing it all their lives. They quoted me 3k for my cabin... not sure where the number falls, but I am willing to pay it for piece of mind and the fact it isn't too far away. Makes it easy to stop in and answer questions and go over design etc.

http://www.4allyourupholsteryneedsnj.com/

I am going to have mine done at a place in Mt Holly, NJ called Back In Time Upholstery. Their webpage is not all that great, but it is a couple old school guys that have been doing it all their lives. They quoted me 3k for my cabin... not sure where the number falls, but I am willing to pay it for piece of mind and the fact it isn't too far away. Makes it easy to stop in and answer questions and go over design etc.

http://www.4allyourupholsteryneedsnj.com/

Location is on my mind also.
Did you bring the boat to them for that quote or is it an estimate?
Does it include headliner and carpet etc or just cushions?

If I could get my cabin, 3 bolsters redone and a back seat in that price I'd be a happy man! :)

Location is on my mind also.
Did you bring the boat to them for that quote or is it an estimate?
Does it include headliner and carpet etc or just cushions?

If I could get my cabin, 3 bolsters redone and a back seat in that price I'd be a happy man! :)

That is carpet, headliner and cushions. The price was based on pictures and dimensional drawings I made (and posted in my resto thread). Once I finish the wood work portion, I will take it to them for an exact price. Hope to have it to them by the second weekend in January.:cheers:

That is carpet, headliner and cushions. The price was based on pictures and dimensional drawings I made (and posted in my resto thread). Once I finish the wood work portion, I will take it to them for an exact price. Hope to have it to them by the second weekend in January.:cheers:

Damn you're flying with yours!

I need to get back into mine this week to continue cutting out the rotten structures. Had to invest in a better mask and a reciprocating saw to make it easier.
Noticing I need to fill all holes on deck (remove rail) and the bumper rail as water is clearly getting in from them now that I have removed the inner fabric on the sides. Explains why the v-berth floor and foam beneath it is rotten for years.

Damn you're flying with yours!

I need to get back into mine this week to continue cutting out the rotten structures. Had to invest in a better mask and a reciprocating saw to make it easier.
Noticing I need to fill all holes on deck (remove rail) and the bumper rail as water is clearly getting in from them now that I have removed the inner fabric on the sides. Explains why the v-berth floor and foam beneath it is rotten for years.

Sealing the rub rail is on my list of things to do before I finalize the cabin as well. I noticed a few of the fasteners are leaking, but I am probably going to reseal all of them. :thumb:

Sealing the rub rail is on my list of things to do before I finalize the cabin as well. I noticed a few of the fasteners are leaking, but I am probably going to reseal all of them. :thumb:

You need to check the pop rivits along the shoebox seam and make sure there are no leaks. Sometimes a stainless screw and a pop rivit will interfere with each other and leak.

Last edited:
Back