• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1988 Vision redo

Kurtster

I don't think I should categorize my project as a "real" restorization in that the project won't go much further than repaint and a little reupholster,
a new rubrail, and a little personalize customization {just a little} -- the boat doesn't really NEED anything, it's already been rebuilt and cleaned up last year,-- but I just love to throw away money I don't have :)

Anyway, enough of the blah blah blah....
I'm gonna start my redo thread by asking a help/question to my fellow forum members and checkmate owners, ---- I realize I'm about to ask about something that may and probably will cause a considerable polarization of opinions and ideas on this particular subject, however, it's what I want to do.

So, here goes, and to quote a comment I saw in another post recently ---- "I have my fire suit in hand"

On my 1988 Vision I have the typical 80's style windshield/windscreen for a performance boat, low and sleek with winshield glass {not painted or blacked out}.
My problem is {here we go} -- I don't like the real low sleek profile of the windshield, -- this is for a couple of reasons, --first I don't like the look, second, I'm pretty tall at 6'4" and the windshield/windscreen doesn't deflect the wind enough over my face/head.
I've already lowered the driver seat and that helped a little but not enough.
I'm gonna have another winshield installed at the custom boat shop where the project will begin in a couple of weeks {although the windshield will be one of the last steps in the project}.
I'm looking for a windshield design that will give me approx 4" increased height, -- the guys doing the project work said they could certainly customize a windshield to my liking but it would be very costly {approx $4000 for the glass / frame / install} - however they told me to ask the good people in the forum if maybe someone knows of another model Checkmate windshield of higher dimension that would actually fit on the Vision {maybe like an enchanter or an enforcer windshield}.
They said they would be able to alter the beam of a replacement windshield if need be.
I know a lot of you don't even like windshields at all, but maybe somebody out there has had a similar situation that can offer some ideas. ;)

Kurster how low did you cut the pedestal down? Mine is about 4" tall just enough for the seat clamp to fit and tighten. I have the same/similar windshield on the Enforcer.

Why not just add one of those fold awaywind deflectors they make for boats? I can't remember the name but I'm sure someone will chime in with it.

What about having them build a spacer to put under your current windshield to raise it up some? Surely it would cost less that $4000? Something kind of like the solid windscreen the offshore boats have then you could put your windshield on top? I think it would help preserve the lines of the boat more than a tall windshield alone.

Kurster how low did you cut the pedestal down? Mine is about 4" tall just enough for the seat clamp to fit and tighten. I have the same/similar windshield on the Enforcer.

Actually I cut the pedestal to the same as yours {just enough for the clamp to still have room.
However, part of the redo this winter is to get rid of the swivel pedestal and install custom made box frames -- the box frames are gonna put the seat bottoms 8" up from the floor.
That 8" height was carefully calculated for ease of controls usage {ie..throttle / drive trim switch / tab switches / steering wheel}.

I found that having the seats so low to the floor slightly hampers the use of these controls {especially the throttle} and changes the viewing angle of the gauges as such that glare on the gauge glass becomes somewhat of an issue.

What about having them build a spacer to put under your current windshield to raise it up some? Surely it would cost less that $4000? Something kind of like the solid windscreen the offshore boats have then you could put your windshield on top? I think it would help preserve the lines of the boat more than a tall windshield alone.

Ahh, this maybe a good consideration atc250 ---- I'm gonna go to my CAD program an see what I come up with regarding how it might look.
Thanks for the idea.

Thanks Nathan and atc250 for this idea....

This was actually my first idea as my buddy has something similar on his Sutphen.

If I can't come up with an entire winshield solution, then this is probably the route I take.

Let me know. I have an unused pair of Windaways w/protective bag (I've never even opened the box) that I'd let go for about half what I paid.

I can appreciate you wanting to personalize/customize/modify you Vision to better fit you and being that you are 6'4" I can see your point. However aside from adding the wind deflectors I see no realistic resolution to your issue that would not make your Vision look molested and down right wrong. Which could also impact the resale value. Stay with me here I'm not trying to offend anyone but I honestly think the Vision would look completely wrong if the windshield raised even one inch. The lines on this model are absolutely perfect and should be left as is.
My solution to your problem brother is simple but you may not like it. You need a bigger boat! :D Instead of chopping down your seat post and laying on the floor while you drive, which to me sounds very uncomfortable, why not leave the boat as is "perfect" and upgrade when you can to a deeper longer hull with true bolsters that fits you? In my zt280 I really like the fact that I can stand fully supported by my bolster seat at WOT in heavy chop and comfortably sit down out of the wind and still navigate the waters.
It's up to you but I would leave that beauty alone the way it was built and consider an upgrade down the road.

Just my opinion, but part of having a go fast boat is having the wind in your face. I would not waste the money on a new windshield it isnt going to look right on that boat. Look into the windscreens as other members mentioned or maybe a different boat. What ever you decide, keep the original wind shield as you will need it to sell the boat in the future. Again, dont do it, just my thoughts.

I can appreciate you wanting to personalize/customize/modify you Vision to better fit you and being that you are 6'4" I can see your point. However aside from adding the wind deflectors I see no realistic resolution to your issue that would not make your Vision look molested and down right wrong. Which could also impact the resale value. Stay with me here I'm not trying to offend anyone but I honestly think the Vision would look completely wrong if the windshield raised even one inch. The lines on this model are absolutely perfect and should be left as is.
My solution to your problem brother is simple but you may not like it. You need a bigger boat! :D Instead of chopping down your seat post and laying on the floor while you drive, which to me sounds very uncomfortable, why not leave the boat as is "perfect" and upgrade when you can to a deeper longer hull with true bolsters that fits you? In my zt280 I really like the fact that I can stand fully supported by my bolster seat at WOT in heavy chop and comfortably sit down out of the wind and still navigate the waters.
It's up to you but I would leave that beauty alone the way it was built and consider an upgrade down the road.

Already had plenty of bigger boats, I downsized on purpose :)

I'm trying to find the right rubrail replacement for my '88 Vision 221.

I'm currently waiting for a reply from CM online to see if they got anything.
However in the mean time, does anybody have experience with any of the other vendor resources, especially with color match rubrails {I'm looking to install a red rail}?

Steering wheel

Hi Guys,
I'm wanting to install a new steering wheel in my 1988 Vision, however I find that the steering system used is a outdated "Ride Glide" from Mercury, {distinguishable by the grey steering cable}.
Anyway, the problem is the old steering wheel mounts with a 7 bolt pattern, but the replacement wheel I have is a 6 bolt mounting pattern with a slightly smaller center hole than the original.
I purchased the replacement wheel with the understanding that there are plenty of adapters available for this application ---- well, now I have the wheel {and it is a beauty} but I can't find any adapter anywhere that I can be sure will fit -- I find plenty of 9 bolt to 6 bolt pattern adapters and vise versa but nothing for 7 to 6.

I know I can't be the first to run into this, so I'm counting on my forum experts/friends to help me out here:o

Anybody got any ideas?

Back