• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2015 Muskoka Checkmate Rally

ianz

Once again our member "Muskoka" is arranging a great day for us who boat in Ontario. A tour of the 3 Muskoka lakes with lunch and refreshments. As a note this is Wakestock weekend in Bala so make a weekend of it and see the amateurs on Friday or the Pro's on Sunday

Here are the details.
-----------------------------------------
I am pleased to invite you to attend the 2015 Muskoka Checkmate Rally

When: Saturday August 8th 2015; meet@ 9:15am, departing at 10:00am
Where to meet: Gravenhurst Wharf, Gravenhurst, ON
No entry fees: Drivers will sign a waiver and attend the drivers meeting @ 9:45am. We will meet at Gravenhurst Wharf public dock.
For those trailering, great free boat launching facilities and trailer parking available. Meet on the water at the docks just near the Steamships.

Attached is the invite.

Muskoka%20Checkmate%20Rally%202015-page-001.jpg

Ready for the Muskoka Rally - August 8

We are all confirmed for Saturday August 8th for the Muskoka Checkmate Rally, starting at Gravenhurst Wharf, at 9am.

Look forward to seeing many of you there.

Lunch is booked again this year in the private dining room at famous Turtle Jack's in Port Carling, and our usual post Rally refreshments will be again at IANZ's place on Lake Muskoka around 4pm.

See you on the water.

See you Sat. Aug. 8th for the Checkmate Rally

In addition to the regular group of fine boats and folks, we have several new boats joining the Muskoka Checkmate Rally this Saturday - Gravenhurst Wharf. Should be another fun boating day.

Don't forget to come with a full tank of gas...we don't stop for fuel until mid afternoon.

Look forward to the day.

Hello everyone,

For those who may find it relevant (or are anal about prescouting like me?), here are some photos of the Gravenhurst Wharf from today:

http://imgur.com/gallery/hfJ7e/new

It looks like there is lots of nearby parking and multiple ramps. Here's an overhead image from an unrelated Seaflea event. It looks like there is ample boat docking as well. There are multiple gas stations in town if you want to fill up with gas off of the lake. Last year it was about 100 miles of travel throughout the day.

BOAT-LAUNCH-AND-PARKING.jpg

Hey guys unfortunately I won't be making it this year. We are heading out to west lake for the annual get together, at least I will represent for Checkmate there, I may be the only one lol. Have a great ride guys Looking forward to pics! Hoping to see some vid of a special guest with a 400r maybe?....

Hey guys unfortunately I won't be making it this year. We are heading out to west lake for the annual get together, at least I will represent for Checkmate there, I may be the only one lol. Have a great ride guys Looking forward to pics! Hoping to see some vid of a special guest with a 400r maybe?....

Not to derail this thread, but I was fortunate enough to ski behind and ride in ChuckB's 2400/400r. It pulls really nice, even with George's backup propeller and it sounds futuristic. It was only the second Checkmate I have ever been in, so I may be a bit biased, but that 2400 is very neat, with everything being neat inside the "plastic shell."

Hey guys,

Sorry we couldn't make it to Ianz's, for those of you who don't know, our water pump ate itself. We limped to Foot's bay and fortunately my mom had another key to bring the truck up without having to backtrack too much. Thanks to my lovely (also pregnant) wife for volunteering her first ever trailer towing experience behind a 1500 Yukon to be from Gravenhurst to Foot's Bay Marina to pick us up.

Pictures to come.

Sorry I missed this but I am very interested in attending next year. I've always wanted to go boating around these three lakes but never really had the opportunity (or a suitable boat) until now. My wife and daughter said they would be interested in coming along too, but there's only so many hours that they're interested in spending in a boat in a day especially if it's choppy.

So that I have it in mind for next year, could someone please let me know how long of a day this rally ends up being start to finish? Also, how many stops along the way are there and how long between stops? If the day ends up being windy, do these lakes tend to have enough shelter that there's a way to make the trip without getting beaten up all day in 2-ft chop? Any details about the day's typical schedule and how high winds affect these lakes would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry I missed this but I am very interested in attending next year. I've always wanted to go boating around these three lakes but never really had the opportunity (or a suitable boat) until now. My wife and daughter said they would be interested in coming along too, but there's only so many hours that they're interested in spending in a boat in a day especially if it's choppy.

So that I have it in mind for next year, could someone please let me know how long of a day this rally ends up being start to finish? Also, how many stops along the way are there and how long between stops? If the day ends up being windy, do these lakes tend to have enough shelter that there's a way to make the trip without getting beaten up all day in 2-ft chop? Any details about the day's typical schedule and how high winds affect these lakes would be greatly appreciated!

Hi ForbesZ,

We have been on the Muskoka lakes only twice, both times with the Checkmate boats. Last year we were at the following locations: started at Milford Bay, onto Port Carling, gas at Foot's Bay Marina / The Cove, "Gas place 2, I can't remember where" and Ianz' place (then back to Milford Bay). Last year there was 100 miles on the GPS. This year we had to bow out just shortly after Foot's Bay Marina - unfortunately we actually ended back up there pulling the boat out - after 65 miles. I would say about 8 hours from start to finish and about 2 hours between stops.

The lakes are large, but I bet unless the day is particularly windy, I don't think you would see too much 2 foot chop. It looks like there are lots of places to hide from that as well. Maybe some of the Muskoka frequent boaters can confirm.

If we go next year, our plan will be to probably meet up with everyone at the start, then again at Turtle Jacks and then meet at Ianz, if invited. The 60-70+mph speeds are not as enjoyable for us as are the 30-40 range. We would like to cruise the lake and see some of the cottages, landmarks, etc. All I can do at the high speeds is watch out for other boats.

If we go next year, our plan will be to probably meet up with everyone at the start, then again at Turtle Jacks and then meet at Ianz, if invited. The 60-70+mph speeds are not as enjoyable for us as are the 30-40 range. We would like to cruise the lake and see some of the cottages, landmarks, etc. All I can do at the high speeds is watch out for other boats.

Thanks doelakedog! Just the info I was looking for. Sorry to hear you had to jump out at Foot's Bay. It stinks to have a fun day ruined but it's better than having a good motor ruined.

As for the speeds, maybe next year the rally can be broken into two speed groups - the 30-50 mph crowd and the 60+ mph crowd - and everyone can still meet up at the same checkpoints. I wouldn't mind remembering the scenery and landmarks from my first run around those three lakes, but if I'm chasing the group at 60-70 MPH the whole time I won't be able to take it all in. Also with my wife and 8-year old daughter in the boat, speeds above 50 mph are not too popular (especially with the kid in the very front of the bowrider).

Well when We went two years ago it was blowing 15-20kph and she was a bit rough if you weren't up for it. A calm day is just that but a little hard to predict. You stop for lunch,locks,gas, and your done. They will either love it or hate it lol. My wife and oldest daughter came and had a blast but they love boating.

Back