• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

225 HP Enticer

wired

I'm freakin' CRAZY. 225HP on the back of my Enticer.
The "new" Mercury is rigged up and ready. Lowers coming in the mail tomorrow. Boats full of gas and its ready to hit the water tomorrow. Ive got to baby the lower until its broken in but thats probably a good thing.

scaled.php

Edit: deleted excited post, see below

Last edited:
WHOA! HOLD ON! Is that single cable steering I see? DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

DO NOT drive that boat over 45 mph until you install a proper high-performance steering system!!
:eyecrazy::eyecrazy::eyecrazy::eek::eek:

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!

I dont think you can even run a dual cable on an enticer. Hydraulic maybe...Ive had the boat over 60 with a single cable and as long as the trim tab is set up right and on smooth water it hasnt been a problem.

WHOA! HOLD ON! Is that single cable steering I see? DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

DO NOT drive that boat over 45 mph until you install a proper high-performance steering system!!
:eyecrazy::eyecrazy::eyecrazy::eek::eek:

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!

The problem comes into play when the cable breaks and the boat makes a hard snap turn. Duel cables give you a safety net when one breaks.

That's TWO extremely dangerous situations then. You CAN run dual-cable in that enticer, I've seen it done. Hydraulic would be better, Sea Star Pro with Allison cylinder is what you want. AND PLEASE GET A NEW CONTROL BOX WITH KILL CORD!

This is an accident with deaths in the making. Please Please Please make this boat safer with correct steering and kill cord before you take it out! A $1500 investment at the most can save you millions in lawsuits!

Its still an Enticer and I still can't run dual cables.

Why? I have dual cables on a Predictor and an Eluder. Made a world of difference in my Predictor with steering effort even though I had a new single cable (when I put it on I discovered my helm could add a second cable.) You can get the bracket on eBay for $50 or less.

I never drove the Eluder without dual cables, since the helm on it wasn't even a NFB helm, and the cable was frozen, I just went ahead and bought a NFB rack with a dual cable and a tilt helm.

It is a new cable set and helm and I'm not terribly concerned with the cable snapping. I suppose anything could happen but thats about as far of a long shot as I can imagine. To be honest I didn't know that they even made double cable sets that exited out one side of the helm. I'll have to pick one up over the winter assuming that I keep the 3.0. Thats up in the air right now. I want to see if this is just too much motor for the boat first. It MAY end up in trade for a 150.

Not going to happen before tomorrow though.

With single cable you'll have nightmarish chine-walk because that setup is so loose. The dual cable allows you to tighten the cables against each other to tighten up the engine control. Also, the dual cable is made for 150 horse and larger engines, while single is only rated for below 150 HP.

I had sea-star hydraulic steering on my Enticer, and a 135hp on the back. I wouldn't drive a boat with cable steering full stop - let alone being 40% overpowered.

Your confidence is concerning. I echo YF's post above.

Back