• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

251-251GTX-253-259-270

EZ, how does the 253 handle compared to a 251? Power for power....is the 251 faster?

Linn, maybe the factory could give you some more info?

I was a little curious of the 251 outboards. There's one in the Boston area that's up for sale from time to time with fishin motas that wont contact anyone and there's a blue one up in Minnesota setup with merc power. DonziGirl was on here many years ago and had one but wasn't particularly fond of it as she bashed it on other forums.

Anyone have any comments on the outboard edition?

I was a little curious of the 251 outboards. There's one in the Boston area that's up for sale from time to time with fishin motas that wont contact anyone and there's a blue one up in Minnesota setup with merc power. DonziGirl was on here many years ago and had one but wasn't particularly fond of it as she bashed it on other forums.

Anyone have any comments on the outboard edition?

Chris - I actually emailed the guy today who was selling the white one in MA last year, and was also reviewing the one in Minnesota. I'm interested in going bigger, but only for outboard(s).

Was only thinking about the road trip to Minnesota in the last hour in my current drunken state.:cheers:

It's a shame Checkmate didn't do more twin outboard Convincors.

have run many different engine combo's in the 251, but never had Hyd steering and did run over 80 a couple of times, did not feel safe at all, so pulled that setup out, but over all the 251's are a tad faster(narrow beam) the the 253 I think, but...like many of these things all dependent on conditions..we have made some clean mid 80 passes in the 253, when all the planets are aligned...and still have much more things to dial in...have the new EFI close..not perfect, and tried no props other that a stock 28 bravo 1 that is in decent shape, did do some decent prop/engine tuning in the 251 and with a stock 500HP with headers was a good package...on that boat ran faster top end with a mirage+, but the bravo 1 was a better all around prop..but 2 MPH slower. the 253 is not quite as bad as the 251 on getting a clean top end pass with different water conditions...hope this helps...

My thanks to all of you for supplying all of the info, especially SCT.
I bought my 251 this summer in michigan and I love everything about it except
The joystick type trim tab controller. It took some getting used to.
I have a 454 mag with Gil exhaust and a 1.50 bravo one.
With a three blade 24p I find more speed but a 26p bravo prop is better all around.
Gets out of the hole great for a boat this size and handles chop and wakes great too.

Just stumbled on this great thread.
Thx to all for their input.

I've always loved and wanted a GTX and am really missing my twin o/b Sonic and may start looking for a project.
I would start w/an IO boat though to get the flat transom and sun lounge, then add a bracket for the O/Bs.

Only real changed I'd foresee is adding a hatch over the cabin door to aid entry.
That's the only think my Sonics had over the Convincor.

Yes, the cabin doors were not very good, the GTX bi-fold was a pain, actually removed mine and ran without, loved the sliding door on the 253, I know they made a few 2000+ 251's with a sliding door that were called classic's I think..

Chris - I actually emailed the guy today who was selling the white one in MA last year, and was also reviewing the one in Minnesota. I'm interested in going bigger, but only for outboard(s).

Was only thinking about the road trip to Minnesota in the last hour in my current drunken state.:cheers:

It's a shame Checkmate didn't do more twin outboard Convincors.

It's kind of funny how life works out when you apply yourself - eh guys? :cheers:

0F86D7F8-8AD7-4BD2-A279-1A4FF7BBA9DA_zpsxc6cmjmn.jpg

3F1C5559-E7B4-4D53-B61A-7426961BB584_zpspllyr1qx.jpg

996B6CF1-111A-4221-9D59-950F3E4B6965_zpsp4zmzbww.jpg

Found it.
Thanks Shannon, I thought I remembered this thread.

To your question, it's actually a Starliner and kicks my ass every time I've been to the ramp!
I built a FrankenRude motor for it and it is being a challenge.

On the Convincor project, wanted to do one forever and now may be the time.
I have a couple of boat to sell to fund the project but October in Ohio ain't the best time to do that but am trying.

Back