• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800sx Next Steps

SCT , the paint was A1 for sure, FYI the white hull is all new gel coat not paint.
Chuck got a new boat for less than the price of the paint and gel work on it. i am very pleased he ended up with it

From the pics, it looks like Bravo 1 put a nice quality paint job on the boat.....very sharp!:thumb:

Can't wait to see how you rig it! Any interior pics?

Congrats-

Hey Chuck, Wildman just listed these for sale over on another forum. I think he said they have 100 hours on them and are under warranty till May 2018. He also said he can paint them back to black with new decals. Might be a good option!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

pics don't work...at least not for me

Well poop, I linked them from another site. You probably have to be a member to view them. Let's try this.....

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

That bracket he is using is pretty slick too. It lifts both motors simultaneously without changing the angle of trim. I think he said it has 12" of travel and will completely lift the motors out of the water without trimming.

Last edited:
I love the paint on Wildman's motors and too bad they wouldn't match the boat as is. During my motor looking adventures there is certainly one thing for certain. You pay out the A** for new x2 and if you want to buy low hour used you can save a few bucks but without the full warranty.

Mercury recently came out with the 5 yr warranty and $1K back per motor promotion for the Verado 350s. The promotion lasts until April and I'm still on the fence going this route. I'm waiting on a few quotes for all the rigging and wiring assuming I don't use my Checkmate brethren to help.

That is a cool looking setback bracket and thanks for showing the pictures. I'm trying to recall if Bravo 1 said the bracket he provided would handle twin 350 verados... I will call the bracket company to make sure before making a decision.

That is a cool looking setback bracket and thanks for showing the pictures. I'm trying to recall if Bravo 1 said the bracket he provided would handle twin 350 verados... I will call the bracket company to make sure before making a decision.

I would keep the setback to a minimum if going with twin Verados due to the weight. Also, bear in mind that the Verados already have 5" of setback built into the design. The 2800 will porpoise at moderate speeds with either a lot of setback or too much weight. The hull is relatively narrow with a V pad 24 degree bottom...there's not a lot of surface area in the stern to carry the weight, however, at speeds above 55mph the porpoise disappears and the boat hauls the mail and can run into the 90's with the right power.

Jup, do you run tabs on yours?

Sam, I do run tabs but don't use them much, mostly for leveling the boat when running into a strong crossbreese or for smoothing out the ride when running through chop. With my past setups, I never needed tabs to get on plane or run at speeds above 50 mph. At slower cruising speeds I would use them to keep the bow down. I finally got around to finishing the re-rig with my 3 liter 225 Offshore carb motors but have not run the boat yet. Hopefully this coming thursday I'll finally put the boat back into the water..

Jup, the setback and the usage of tabs raise a few questions for me. I would like to use the 20" setback in the pictures below because of ease getting into the boat from the water. It is aluminum and about 100lbs. My concern is the porpoising you mentioned at below 50mph. I know that Ramifications with his twin Verados had the same challenges and is going with less setback.

Assuming I stay with the 20" setback, do you think the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke weight difference is enough to minimize the porpoising? I have never used trim tabs and assuming I do, do you think they would help prevent the porpoising at less than 50mph? If the effect of the trim tabs is minimal on porpoising which may also depend on the size of the tabs, and initially I don't go with them, maybe the extra weight w/o them may be a benefit?

20170102_105716_zpsu3bq6mq6.jpg

20170102_105658_zpsgxr2gytz.jpg

Imagine a fulcrum and lever - the issue is the boat does not have the ability to lift the weight at lower speeds. The faster you go, the more lift is created. Back to the fulcrum. The further you put any weight away from the transom, the more lift you need to create to lift it. Slower speeds equal less lift which gives you the porpoising. Yes, the tabs can fix it but kill efficiency. It is all in the setup. I am running 6" jackplates so I could easily mess with the height, but I think it may be perfect with the weight. As I raised the engines, the ride got better and the bravo 1 4-blades made a huge difference too. I think 20" is way too much with verado's. Hope that helped:cheers:

Jup, the setback and the usage of tabs raise a few questions for me. I would like to use the 20" setback in the pictures below because of ease getting into the boat from the water. It is aluminum and about 100lbs. My concern is the porpoising you mentioned at below 50mph. I know that Ramifications with his twin Verados had the same challenges and is going with less setback.

Assuming I stay with the 20" setback, do you think the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke weight difference is enough to minimize the porpoising? I have never used trim tabs and assuming I do, do you think they would help prevent the porpoising at less than 50mph? If the effect of the trim tabs is minimal on porpoising which may also depend on the size of the tabs, and initially I don't go with them, maybe the extra weight w/o them may be a benefit?

20170102_105716_zpsu3bq6mq6.jpg

20170102_105658_zpsgxr2gytz.jpg[/QUOTE

Chuck, that's a beautiful floatation style setback and I would'nt hesitate to use it with 300xs's or a pair of 2-stroke (260's or 280's) but not with the Verados. You will wind up at 25" setback due to the Verados design and that would mean a lot of weight hanging way behind the transom of a very light boat in my opinion. By the way, a pair of 280's and sport master gearcases would make that 2800 the most potent 28' boat in existance but finding a pair and keeping them reliable is hard......but would be so bad azz! I think your best bet is still a pair of 250xs's, 300xs's or a pair of 300 Promax's! Trim tabs may help settle the boat down but may not get all the bounce out. The real purpose for tabs is to level the boat side t side due to wind force or weight variance.

Chuck, I agree w- Jup and the guys. I almost had two much setback on my 30' w- dual 300Xs. The boat was fast but very 'flighty' in the snot. And had to keep the drives tucked and tabs even to keep from mid range porpoising. If I had kept the boat, I would have put weight in the nose or reduced setback. I swear it's like driving a big 21' Pulsare when the boat gets up on the v-pad w- the nose high.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hhC91fk-JKQ

I like your idea of the 4 strokes but you'll have your work cut out to keep the boat balanced. Is there a full cabin in the boat?

Good luck-

Last edited:
Chuck, I agree w- Jup and the guys. I almost had two much setback on my 30' w- dual 300Xs. The boat was fast but very 'flighty' in the snot. And had to keep the drives tucked and tabs even to keep from mid range porpoising. If I had kept the boat, I would have put weight in the nose. I swear it's like driving a big 21' Pulsare when the boat gets going and up on the v-pad w- the nose high.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hhC91fk-JKQ

I like your idea of the 4 strokes but you'll have your work cut out to keep the boat balanced. Is there a full cabin in the boat?

Good luck-

There is a full cabin. pic below. Good points and now on the hunt for used pair of 300xs. Rigging/controls would be a bonus. Great flyby video:thumb:

20170116_211434_zpsbbk1ksm8.jpg

Oh my.... the thought of this boat with a pair of 280's just made me feel funny in my pants.....:sssh:

Yup, a pair of Mercury Racing 280's, Sportmaster gearcases, Lathem side steering, etc. would get a rise in my Levi's!!:bigthumb: I would suspect a 90mph rig set up that way!:eek:

Jup. Lets talk when you get the chance. I sent you a PM with cell.

Had a great conversation with Chuck last night. By the way, his setback bracket is actually 24", not 20", so the thought of hanging twin Verado's is out of the question. I'm sure we'll be having many conversations as Chuck finds a pair of motors and moves forward with the rigging process.:thumb:

Can you add ballast in the nose to off set the heavy stern? I was really hoping twin V-rods would wind up on that bad boy. But it's tough to overcome bad physics.

Back