• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800sx Next Steps

ChuckB

My 2800sx Christmas gift to myself from Bravo 1 arrived in Jersey a few days ago. After 5 hours of cleaning the 3K miles of road dust, it truly looked brand new and the craftsmanship was first rate:thumb: Few photos after the cleaning and now need to start looking for some power. Focusing on used low hour Verado's 300HP+ first to see what's out there.

_120655_zpss0prfxni_edit_1483326158141_zpsspinmozs.jpg

_120721_zpscmnm9bif_edit_1483326297035_zpsjaloyrwn.jpg

20161230_120756_zps2boa3btj.jpg

_120848_zpsd6a5jrbn_edit_1483326241451_zpsu5alxt0d.jpg

Chuck, I wouldn't rule out a pair of Mercury 300xs's or Mercury 250xs's set at 24" centers on hyd jack plates. The Verados are so user friendly with the DTS and electrohyd. Steering but the roosting hp will still be the 2 Stroke motors. Even a pair of 300 Pro Max's will make the 28 an awesome rig!

Chuck, I wouldn't rule out a pair of Mercury 300xs's or Mercury 250xs's set at 24" centers on hyd jack plates. The Verados are so user friendly with the DTS and electrohyd. Steering but the roosting hp will still be the 2 Stroke motors. Even a pair of 300 Pro Max's will make the 28 an awesome rig!
Good points Jup. I will not rule out the 300xs although the wifey has gotten used to the quietness of the 4 strokes:)

Good points Jup. I will not rule out the 300xs although the wifey has gotten used to the quietness of the 4 strokes:)
Quietness? Serious?
Just please don't be offended if a couple of us try to have sex with it.
(Yeah, knarloid, Drop, Ram, etc....... you know who I mean.) Not Bruce- he just wants to wrench on it.
Just kidding guys. No need to share this with the wives.

All the fun of a new project without the dirty work. :bigthumb:

Was it winched all the way forward for transport? Trying to keep the stern from bumping anything?

From the pics, it looks like Bravo 1 put a nice quality paint job on the boat.....very sharp!:thumb:

Can't wait to see how you rig it! Any interior pics?

Congrats-

All the fun of a new project without the dirty work. :bigthumb:

Was it winched all the way forward for transport? Trying to keep the stern from bumping anything?
It is nice not needing to do the dirty work especially because I'm not experienced. The trailer will need to be modified so that the eye is below the winch area. When it was trailered it had an additional safety strap and rear strap that Bravo 1 was able to use for the long trip. I think he said the trailer originally came from the east coast.

I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on low hour 300s or 350's. Also need all the wiring and rigging done.

So Chuck, what are your plans for the "little" boat?
Still keeping the little boat:D the 2400 with the 400r the way it is even though I considered Jup's idea of swapping motors and adding a 300xs to the 2400 and another 400r to make a twin.

Leaning more towards the twin 300xs.

Still keeping the little boat:D the 2400 with the 400r the way it is even though I considered Jup's idea of swapping motors and adding a 300xs to the 2400 and another 400r to make a twin.

Leaning more towards the twin 300xs.

Chuck, My really close friend (boat rigging and racing buddy) and owner of Nick's Creative Marine in Riviera Beach FL just took on trade a counter rotating pair of 2006 Mercury 250xs with decent hours (came off of a fishing boat, mostly trolling speed hours) with all rigging (no steering)..I would guess, with my clout, probably in the $10,000 to $11,000 range. If you're interested I'll hook you up. He can even rig the entire boat to race standards!

Chuck, My really close friend (boat rigging and racing buddy) and owner of Nick's Creative Marine in Riviera Beach FL just took on trade a counter rotating pair of 2006 Mercury 250xs with decent hours (came off of a fishing boat, mostly trolling speed hours) with all rigging (no steering)..I would guess, with my clout, probably in the $10,000 to $11,000 range. If you're interested I'll hook you up. He can even rig the entire boat to race standards!

That would be a great deal and certainly put him on the water with great power for only a little cash, but if it was me I think there would be only 3 choices to consider. A pair of used 300xs, 350verados or new 400Rs. I'd consider used 300x too, but they seem to be both rare/old/well used and expensive. While the 400R has made used 300xs and 300-350verado more accessible as guys switch, it's also made the 250xs cheap.

Glad it made it to you in the same shape it left my place with have fun with it, and i will keep an out for the finished pictures and performance results. as for motors you know what i think 300xs all the way. I think you they will out perform the 400R on this boat in every aspect but top end, and Simmon and Bush racing have the cure for that as well!

Back