• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800SX Outboard Restoration Begins!!!

Good stuff.

71 in that boat w/that power is flat flying.

I'm still struggling w/set up on this Sonic but the old one was happiest w/Choppers too. It's best was 6400 @ 80 but that worked out to a staggering 8% slip which I've not duplicated on anything.
Normally 10% is within reason on a rig like yours w/those wheels if all else is perfect.
I have heard other people "claim" better but never seen it backed up.
A calculator doesn't lie. May cost you a ton of money though.

Change the slip # in your calculator to 10 and see what happens ;)

Good luck on the 4 blades. W/o having them built new, I've only (ever) seen one set and they're on their way here.
If we ever cross paths you're welcome to try them.
Matter of fact, maybe swap help testing?? I don't have anyone close that's knowing/willing.
I have a set of 27" Mirages that should be great on that boat too. For sale.
$400. to you if interested.

*EDIT*

I'm actually at almost idnetical...#'s w/mine too. Even w/6' less boat and 100 more HP's!
Shows the difference in hull efficiencies of a round keel design from the '60's and what you have.

Spent quite a bit of time trying to make 4 blade Bravo 1's work too and gave up on them. Had a mid/high range hop no matter what I did.
The Choppers weren't working either but I've dropped the motors since then and sold the 3 blade Choppers. Like an idiot :brickwall:

I'm actually at almost idnetical...#'s w/mine too. Even w/6' less boat and 100 more HP's!
Shows the difference in hull efficiencies of a round keel design from the '60's and what you have.

Spent quite a bit of time trying to make 4 blade Bravo 1's work too and gave up on them. Had a mid/high range hop no matter what I did.
The Choppers weren't working either but I've dropped the motors since then and sold the 3 blade Choppers. Like an idiot :brickwall:

I wish Mercury made the Trophy Plus in a left hand prop! I've had such great results with the Trophy Plus on so many boats!!

Had the day off today so I decided to take the boat out by myself. Went out Jupiter Inlet to the ocean and did a lap outside before coming back inside the ICW to do a couple of speed runs. It was 85+ degrees and flat sticky water......70.88 MPH GPS!:thumb: Then I took the boat to lunch at Guanabanas. Pulled out of the water at 4:00 and headed home to give her a good waxing!!:drool: What a great day off....having a big boat is better than going to a gym...my arms are sore from all that waxing!:D

After much deliberating over refinishing the teak bulkheads, cabinets, galley, bifold doors, etc. I've decided not to reinstall these items into my 2800. First, they're 29 years old. 2nd, the amount of time/money/labor to bring them back to life is better spent going a different direction. 3rd, with the modern looks of the new red/white/black piping vinyl seats, new white head/cabin liner and carbon fiber accents in the cabin, the old teak would look dated. I'm going to spend my energy on glassing in new Nida Core bulkheads and building a cabinet/cooler storage to port when entering the cabin. They will be covered with the cabin liner/vinyl to match the boat.
Needless to say; I have the original cabin for a 2800 if anyone wants it!!

Last edited:
Bought my 4' X 8' X 3/4" 3M Nida Core panel for the bulkhead that will be glassed in place separating the cockpit from the cabin:thumb:! This $hi+ is expensive:eek:!!!! $295.00 inc. tax for 1 (yes, that's only one) 4'X8' piece of plastic!!! By the time I'm finished with the resin & supplys this bulkhead will cost $400.oo and that doesn't include the bifold door to the cabin!! No wonder new boats are so freaking expensive!!!!

http://nida-core.com/english/nidaprod_honey_h8pp.php

Bought my 4' X 8' X 3/4" 3M Nida Core panel for the bulkhead that will be glassed in place separating the cockpit from the cabin:thumb:! This $hi+ is expensive:eek:!!!! $295.00 inc. tax for 1 (yes, that's only one) 4'X8' piece of plastic!!! By the time I'm finished with the resin & supplys this bulkhead will cost $400.oo and that doesn't include the bifold door to the cabin!! No wonder new boats are so freaking expensive!!!!

I hate to sound old, but everything is out of control. I can't believe a sheet of plastic is $300.

Good luck!

HD

jupiter, I was wondering what you are going to do for a door, I have been trying to make up my mind on mine and can't, I am doing the same thing with the bulk heads and changing out the wood for something lightweight and my door was broke so gonna change that out. I was looking into the aluminum roll up doors like apache uses just to do something different. your cabin interior looks awesome.

Nida core is expensive but dayum is it good stuff and very strong when laminated. The college formula SAE race team uses it between carbon fiber for structural chassis panels in lieu of steel tubing. Amazing product and light.

jupiter, I was wondering what you are going to do for a door, I have been trying to make up my mind on mine and can't, I am doing the same thing with the bulk heads and changing out the wood for something lightweight and my door was broke so gonna change that out. I was looking into the aluminum roll up doors like apache uses just to do something different. your cabin interior looks awesome.

demag67, I'm going with a framed bi-fold door for the cabin entry...I've racked my brain over the past few weeks regarding whether to cut the center of my dash out to make entry into the cabin easier..I came to the conclusion that I did NOT want to alter the dash..The verticle plane I have on the dash of my 2800 is like a bulkhead running from gunnel to gunnel and I did not want to alter the structual integrity of the mold work. I have 24" of width to work with and 34" of height. There's a marine surplus/salvage in Ft Pierce, FL where I've found numerous doors that will work. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=se48J6VD_3m7dHlD7WTllg&bvm=bv.50500085,d.eWU

Their prices are high but they stock a ton of inventory. The nice thing is the door will be flush with my new bulkheads. I'm leaving a lip at the bottom of the cockpit bulkhead so water won't drain into the cabin. Right now I've got the bulkhead cut, fitted and ready to be glassed (hopefully this weekend) along with an additional cabin cieling bulkhead because I've deleted the overhead teak cabinets that ran along the cieling.

I'm deep into the cabin restoration of my 2800. Everything is cut, fit and ready to be glassed. New Nida Core bulkhead between the cockpit and cabin. The port teak galley and starboard teak locker have been stripped of trim, sanded and refinished in ebony Poly Urathane, a new Nida Core mid cabin ceiling bulkhead is cut and ready for glass. I'll be hunting down the cabin bi-fold door later this week. The doorway in my pictures has yet to be cut to size..just big enough to crawl in and out of til I get the door. Here's some teaser pictures.

Attachments

• checkmate cabin renovation 001.jpg
    checkmate cabin renovation 001.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 76
  • checkmate cabin renovation 002.jpg
    checkmate cabin renovation 002.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 69
  • checkmate cabin renovation 003.jpg
    checkmate cabin renovation 003.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Here's a few more shots from inside the cabin.

Attachments

• checkmate cabin renovation 004.jpg
    checkmate cabin renovation 004.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 78
  • checkmate cabin renovation 005.jpg
    checkmate cabin renovation 005.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 75
  • checkmate cabin renovation 006.jpg
    checkmate cabin renovation 006.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 74
This past sunday/monday was the 3rd weekend of working on my cabin. There is nothing worse than trying to lay fiberglass upside down when gravity is working against you!!!:irked: My mid-cabin cieling Nida-Core bulkhead is finally glassed in place (bonded and fillets with West Systems Epoxy/406 Silica, 1 layer of 9oz cloth/1 layer of 6oz cloth) on both sides:thumb:. The Cockpit bulkhead is bonded to the hull sides with flex epoxy and the perimeter is fillet with West Systems Epoxy/406 Silica and ready for two layers of glass on each side. Then I'll give the cabin one last sanding/cleaning and the boat heads to the shop for the new headliner and cabin liner!! So here's a question for you guys....I've refinished the starboard locker and port galley in Ebony black Polyurathane. Should I finish all the trim in black...or RED?? Red moldings/trim would really accent the interior!!

How much trim is there? maybe give us a % compared to the rest of the interior and what other colors are going in there.

I think red would be striking but you already have some red in there on the seats. A little black will go along way and look very good if kept clean.

Back