• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

71 mx-15 restoration and build

Well I think that's brings you guys up to date to my first set of pictures. I'm hoping to get my the rest of the floor in this weekend. Thanks for all the kind words.

No I plan on using a 71 Evinrude 125. The motor that it came with was in rough shape. It was locked up. My friend I got it from took it apart and lost some of the parts. I think it was a 85. Ya you don't want to work on her yourself.

Not so much that I don't want to do it myself as not being sure I can handle it.I'm more comfortable with stuff that bolts together(auto-tech).Never touched fiberglass for anything in my almost 58 years on this earth.That combined with no place to do it over the winter.

I have done a ton of reading on glass repair and it kind of boggles the mind a bit.Everybody that posts pictures of repairs/restores make it look sooo easy.I guess I won't know until I try it,but saying all that I want it done right though too.The MX has some dock rash where the hull meets the transom so I'm going to tackle that first and see how I make out with that.It needs to be done anyway and it won't interfear with a restore later.The boat is useable other than the dock rash right now as it has had some work already.Not a show piece,but solid enough.

BTW This one just had an 80's 115 Rude pulled off it just before I got it.

wow that is great work. is this your first boat restore? either way you have a knack.

Thanks Nathan ya it is my first time doing a boat restoration. And on top of that it's my first time working with fiberglass. I've alway been hands on kind of kid. Could really never leave anything alone. I've always liked boats. I got the boat about 3 years ago and have been sitting on it till this past June. I just did a lot of looking around on here and checking out other people's work. Didn't seam to be that hard so I just dove right in. I'm happy I did cuz it's fun. Thanks for the kind words

Ya I did a lot of looking around on here also. I've never used fiberglass be for ether. It's really not that hard at all just go for it. Just got to be willing to spend the time to make it look right or that's what I did. Haha I have no idea. Just build it up slow. If it doesn't look good you can alway sand or grind it down and start over. And as far as the motor goes that's cool seams like every one on here is Merck fans. I just happen to get mine for free and that's for me. Plan on redoing everything so it's like new or I'm hopping. :)

Last edited:
Ya I did a lot of looking around on here also. I've never used fiberglass be for ether. It's really not that hard at all just go for it. Just got to be willing to spend the time to make it look right or that's what I did. Haha I have no idea. Just build it up slow. If it doesn't look good you can alway sand or grind it down and start over. And as far as the motor goes that's cool seams like every one on here is Merck fans. I just happen to get mine for free and that's for me. Plan on redoing everything so it's like new or I'm hopping. :)

I'm kind of a Merc fan myself and I'm thinking about running a 1500 TOP Merc that's on my Carlson now.Not enough hp for the Carlson.It's rated for a 200, which seems kind of low for a boat that's just a hair over 20'.I could still buy the Rude for about a grand if I want it.
Guess I'll find out in the spring what glass work is like.

These were the gauges in the boat when I got it. Are they the ones checkmate put in the boat? Also is there a way to test them to see if they work.
41-AAAF4C281AAF-36248-00002678995B7243_zpsee0f2ebf.jpg

My Vmate didnt have a back seat in it when I got it and I didnt know what it really looked like but I managed to make something and it did turn out really good ... Keep the pics coming your making good progress ....

20120904_155025.jpg

20121005_115500-1.jpg

Thanks will ya I was looking at that last night. I spent most of my day today trying to work out what I'm going to do I hope. Hoping to have it roughed out over the weekend.

Back