• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

73 MX-16 resto/mod, 1 broke high school teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the seats finished up in past couple of days. This pic shows how I put the panels together by gluing the vinyl to 1/2" foam that's backed with a light fabric (headliner foam). Then I stitched everything together. The trick is keeping everything aligned as you go. The 1/2" foam keeps everything plump and smooth when it's all put together.

picture.php

This pic shows how I foamed the back seat frames.

picture.php

I just wanted to show all the foam for these seats came out of a couch that I tore apart before throwing it away. Foam is expensive and some older foam is better than you can buy new now. I covered all the plywood parts with epoxy.

picture.php

Here is the end result. The two in the middle are the ones I made from scratch.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

beautiful work

You are doing a Beautiful Job on Your MX-16 Checkmate My Dear Friend. WTG have a Great Sunday and Best Wishes Always Your Friend Sammie Action Marine

Vacation?or playing at Joes bar and grill?

My wife grew up on sea side vacations. So we try to get to the Cape for a weekend right after my regular classes end. I don't think I'll have all the kinks worked out of my boat by this June. Probably just bring the bicycles and stuff our faces at Liam's. No paying gigs for the acoustic trio yet.

RS, seats look fantastic. I can see you have done this a time or two in the past. My Dad has an industrial sewing machine. We did the back seat of my Jetmate, but kept it simple. If we do anything in the future and need some pointers, I'll give you a shout!

:thumb:

RS, seats look fantastic. I can see you have done this a time or two in the past. My Dad has an industrial sewing machine. We did the back seat of my Jetmate, but kept it simple. If we do anything in the future and need some pointers, I'll give you a shout!

:thumb:

No problem, Thanks

Incredible build! Great work I cannot say it enough. This build gives great inspiration to take on a build of almost any degree.

When I am out of the town house I am in now I want to take on a build like this.

:cheers::bigthumb:

I thought I would try to explain the benefits of closed cell foam for those who haven't worked with it before. This is the stuff that goes under automotive vinyl tops. It does not absorb moisture and you can sand it to any shape you want. You sand it with a course sand paper but you have to use a light touch or it will peel off what ever it is glued to. In the first pic I glued foam to the piece that I made to make my control cables behind the side panel. If you look on the lower side you can see that my lumpy fiberglass work telegraphs through the foam. The second pic shows what it looks like after sanding, and the third is after I covered it with vinyl.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here is what I worked on today. This is the little dog house that will cover the cooler. It also is covered in closed cell foam. I'm going to pull the cover off the trim ring that it sits in and use a softer foam on the lower edge to close that gap. I'm feeling pretty good about my progress but unfortunately it's back to work tomorrow. Thanks to everyone again for the encouraging comments.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And the closed cell foam comes in what form and how was it applied? Looks great so far.

You can buy it by the yard in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness. You apply it with contact spray adhesive. I use Permetex in a can for small jobs and landau top cement in a cheap spray gun for larger jobs. You can layer it up if you need more depth. I used 1/4" on the top of my cooler cover and 1/8" on the sides. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back