• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

73 MX-16 resto/mod, 1 broke high school teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got one side panel together this weekend. The first pic shows how I sanded the foam over all of my imbedded attachment screws. The second shows how to work vinyl around tight corners. I glue both vinyl and the board, cut slits to about 1/2" off the edge, then heat it up with a heat gun and pull. Leaving long tabs helps to have plenty of glue surface. I didn't want to use staples here because the panel is 1/4" and the shortest SS staples I can get for my gun are 3/8". I would definitely make my speaker enclosures a bit bigger in diameter if I were to do it again. I wasn't able to foam the inside. The SS trim came off an early 70's Caddy. I had it lying around and thought it created a nice accent. I have rub rail samples coming this week. I really want to put an aluminum rail with a white insert on it. Hope I don't regret it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

looks awesome!! I feel like im so underachieving at my interior after looking at yours...very impressive work!!

Thanks Trey, Don't forget I've done this many times before. I approach it like playing my guitar, I just want to do it a little better than yesterday. I got a chance to look at your build yesterday. You are doing nice work. Try and post some more pictures and share with the rest of us. :bigthumb:

Progress has slowed. I'm stage manager and set builder for the school musical. This will keep me putting in 12 hour days for the next two weeks. I did buy a new steering wheel. The only thing I don't like about it is that they dipped it in the type of plastic that is on tool handles. It is very sticky. So i decided to try my hand at wrapping it with a cross stitch. I'm on my forth try. :brickwall:
I also finished the passenger side panel and re-worked the speaker enclosures by taking the orange stripe out. I got out in the barn today and got all my seat and side panel mounts glassed in place. I've also taken a couple of upholstery jobs to keep the cash flow coming. I still need a rub-rail and a windshield. I'm still hoping to get this thing wet this summer. Have a good week everyone.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Like how you're doing the wheel. Wish I could have seen this when I was upholstering my back seat.
:thumb:
Dad just gave me his old Singer industrial sewing machine. I'll have to post a picture or two. We just gave it a good tune up.

Dad just gave me his old Singer industrial sewing machine. I'll have to post a picture or two. We just gave it a good tune up.

Cool! I just brought my mothers Morse home. At 90 years old she told me that she was done with sewing. Bitter/sweet. Post a pic, I'ld like to see what you have. Does it have reverse?

Cool! I just brought my mothers Morse home. At 90 years old she told me that she was done with sewing. Bitter/sweet. Post a pic, I'ld like to see what you have. Does it have reverse?

No reverse. If you need to back up, you have to turn the wheel. I'll get a couple pics together.

Here she is Singer model 331K1
2013_0409Glass0017_zps119143fc.jpg

2013_0409Glass0019_zps6726f211.jpg

Did some repair work on my boat cover. Kinda getting the hang of it. My goal is to make a new cover in the near future. My Dad is 80 he's still restoring cars and doing his own upholstery for his toys.

Way, Way Cool !!!! That will do the job. I dig the oil stains on the treadle. Very cool that you and your father can bond on projects. Here is a couple of pictures of my brother and father and the boat my grandfather bought in 1949. We are planning the restoration as we speak. Also planning a trip to the Muskoka region of Canada this summer to do some research. My Dad will be 90 this fall. Let me know if you have questions when you make your cover. I'ld be happy to help out. :bigthumb:

picture.php

picture.php

That is cool that they are both still active at 80 and 90. Love those old wood boats. I'll be sure to give you a shout if I have any sewing questions.

I had to set all the interior pieces in to mark my carpet pattern so I snapped a couple of pics. I'm planning to glue carpet to the gunwales and have a front and rear snap in carpet. I laid paper on the floor, assembled the interior, marked all my parameters, then punched holes in the pattern and marked the floor where I plan to epoxy the snap studs. Then I took it all apart again. After I epoxy the studs in I'm planning to Algrip the floor with white that I have left over. I'm just waiting for warmer nights. 40℉ in the shop today. I did transfer my patterns to carpet and I'm playing around with different bindings. Have a great week everyone.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

WOW is all I can say. The interior looks beautiful, better than I could imagine piece by piece. You have the eye for upholstery!

WOW is all I can say. The interior looks beautiful,

I definately second that motion...... WOW is exactly the right word....

That interior is coming out soooo frikin beautiful --- I definately wish I had your upholstery talents...

One hell of a nice job Mark --- keep up the excellent work.

This thread has been great to follow --- and to learn from :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back