• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

73 MX-16 resto/mod, 1 broke high school teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost done with the Bayliner interior. I'll be back on the MX-16 next week. I did manage to finally finish the baseball stitched steering wheel cover that I started back in April. I think it took me 8 attempts but I finally got it figured out. Here are some pics. :cheers:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
Very nice!:thumb:

Nice work as usual

I was wondering what happened to you. Glad you are still on it!

I was about to PM you and talk to you about pride, heritage and legacy, not to guilt you, just to keep your ass moving. :thumb:

(one of my favorite quotes on this forum)

I was wondering what happened to you. Glad you are still on it!

I was about to PM you and talk to you about pride, heritage and legacy, not to guilt you, just to keep your ass moving. :thumb:

(one of my favorite quotes on this forum)

touche :bigthumb:

This just in... I got the motor assembled and prepped, hung it from the rafter in my shed and got some paint on it. Also the same with two lower units (different gear sets) and 3 props (unfortunately all the same). I put my spray gun away :bigthumb:, time to get this thing back together.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I made some progress this week. I got the dual ride-guide installed and then moved on to the rub rail. I was worried about bending the aluminum but it turned out to be a breeze. I mounted the fuel tank by epoxying wood strips to the floor, making my hold down straps and stapling them to the strips while the epoxy was tacky. I mounted the west marine battery box but made a second strap for it. I didn't like the way it moved around with the one strap that was provided. I also plumbed the bilge pump, mounted the fuel/water separator, and wired the bow lights. My new windshield arrived this week. $375 for the windshield and $165 for shipping (they don't tell you that part). :brickwall: I took a piece of the aluminum trim to experiment with polishing and found my new obsession. I started with 320 and worked my way to 1500 and then hit the buffing wheel. Here is a pic of the right and left windshield support. Today was a mile stone. I put her back on the trailer after a year and a half on the cradle. I'm hoping to put the motor on tomorrow and get started on control cables and wiring. I really hope I can get this thing wet before the warm weather is gone.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

My wife brought me a flower from her garden and I told her i would post a pic. She supports the project in her own way. :thumb:

picture.php

Looking good! :thumb:
Is that the old style Mercury Quick Silver "Ride Guide" steering system you are using?

That's what it looks like from the pictures. It is a good steering system. Mine is a single cable rack and pinion. That's all you need for a jet drive. They are obsolete and you can't get the cables any more. I had to replace mine this spring. Was lucky to find one over the bridge. He had one NOS, still in the box. Grabbed it right away.

Everything is Looking great . Doing such a wonderful Job ... I haven't seen to many dual ride guides set up the way mine is ... I have mine running down both sides of the boat .

20130704_135705_zps99d3aa6c.jpg

Everything is Looking great . Doing such a wonderful Job ... I haven't seen to many dual ride guides set up the way mine is ... I have mine running down both sides of the boat .

I was thinking about yours as I was installing mine. These things are not light. It makes good sense to run the cables down both sides. More balanced. :thumb: Have you had more time with your V-mate. How's she handling?

I was thinking about yours as I was installing mine. These things are not light. It makes good sense to run the cables down both sides. More balanced. :thumb: Have you had more time with your V-mate. How's she handling?

Had her out for about a hour and a half this afternoon . Went to Belleville lake but there were just way to many people out there to enjoy the lake .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back