• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Battery Not Charging & Tack Not Working

11YearItch

Now that I have had my recently purchased 1988 Checkmate with an Evinrude XP 150 V6 in the water for three weeks I am experiencing two problems. I have to hook the battery to a charger now and then to start the engine and the tachometer cuts out (goes back to zero) when the engine reaches about 1500 rpm with no impact to boat performance. I suspect a faulty rectifier/voltage regulator unit but before spending several hundred dollars for a new unit I would like to hear from readers of this thread that have experienced similar problems.

$34.95?? The Evinrude parts list I have looked at says $211.37 for the rectifier and regulator unit and $348.29 for a stator assembly.

Do some searching. I dont know your part number but I've seen them range alot depending where you get it and if its aftermarket.

Are you sure the battery isnt charging? If it is take an ohm meter and test the yellow leads of the stator, if it tests OK you can take the gray lead from the harness and put it on the yellow gray on the teminal board, the tach will now work, If the charging isn't working and the stator tests good, you need a regulator, I may have a used one.

Thanks Bill,

I plan to deal with solving these two problems while the boat is out of the water over the winter months. I will keep in mind that you might have a used regulator.

Back