• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bimini top mod for Pulse 170 thread

JW since I'm only 5'-9" I could cut some length off those posts, right? I also have the lower windshield. That looks good, great job.:thumb:

Let's see. I'm 6' 4", the top gives about 6' 2" as-is, with the dimensions I ordered from Overton's. Westland says you can cut 6" off the main pole, which would lower the whole thing about 4.5" (since the main pole is at an angle). That would put the top at what, 5' 9 1/2"? Perfect!

What a cool way to 'dork-out' a Checkmate huh? :rof:

Let's see. I'm 6' 4", the top gives about 6' 2" as-is, with the dimensions I ordered from Overton's. Westland says you can cut 6" off the main pole, which would lower the whole thing about 4.5" (since the main pole is at an angle). That would put the top at what, 5' 9 1/2"? Perfect!

What a cool way to 'dork-out' a Checkmate huh? :rof:

To bad they don't make a sporty one for cool boats.

thanks cm i blew past it , so where in the 73-78" did you mount it @ ? i think the taller windshield helps out w/ the look of it too !

I assembled the top then took it out fully opened to the boat. Once I had the top positioned so that it covered the rear of the rear seat up to the middle of the windshield, I marked the spots where the main pole sat.

Basically, I'm 12" back from the V that's formed in the windshield frame work that makes up the forward part of the side window.

Last edited:
JW after seeing your bimini Top I pushed the ole go button and ordered myself a Bimini Top from Overton's, $292.98 including shipping.

Coolio! :thumb: Remember, if you need the rear supports there's a better price than Overtons. Should be delivered this week, and I'll do that mod this weekend. Then I can make a recommendation or not.

P.S., I put the depth sounder into my shipping at work today. If all goes well, it should ship out today FEDX Ground. How much would you want for that 2-piece jack plate?

Cool Deal!!! :thumb: I hoping I don't need those rear supports since i'm not going as high as yours.

Got the rear supports tonight. Real deal from Westland, same as the Overtons bimini. Saved some cash :bigthumb:

Made in Mexico. That's better than China. Has the base mounts for both deck mount and rail mount. Will probably do the installation this weekend.

Jw I got my Bimini top yesterday. Do I cut the main post down by 6" to make it shorter?

Jw I got my Bimini top yesterday. Do I cut the main post down by 6" to make it shorter?

If you ordered the exact same dimensions that I did, you can whack off the 6" they recommend and see how it fits. I think even more of the main pole can be cut off, dont know why they recommend 6". The bottom plastic pieces will have to be drilled off the stubs and re-attached with something.

Take pictures of your installation and post them on this thread!!

If you ordered the exact same dimensions that I did, you can whack off the 6" they recommend and see how it fits. I think even more of the main pole can be cut off, dont know why they recommend 6". The bottom plastic pieces will have to be drilled off the stubs and re-attached with something.

Take pictures of your installation and post them on this thread!!

I got the same exact one. Looking at the assembly I'm thinking i could modify the top of the post and the 90* that holds the bimini skin. What do you think?

On second thought, you're right. I have 12" from the bottom to first bracket on the post. I can then reattach the bottom with either some self tapping screws or bolt w/ washers and nut.

If I lower mine, that's what I'm going to do. Saw off the bottom X inches and then reattach the plastic fitting with stainless screw/nut/washers. I wouldn't modify anything else on that bimini.

When I assembled my Bimini, I did it in the living room on the floor while watching TV. After I was all done, I had Jack Russell dog hair all over it :shakehead:
Spent 45 minutes vacuuming it top and bottom!

Cool deal. I assembled mine last night in living room as well. No dog but had a 4 yr old that would not stay off of the bimini.:eyecrazy: I'll post pictures of the assembly later. I've got a honey do list to finish first.:rolleyes:

BIMINI TOP MOD PART DEUX!!

Today was nice (sunny and 38) so I pulled the CMate outdoors to work this time. Got my rear supports in the mail and couldn't wait to install them. Now my bimini is setup like the bimini I had on the FourWinns. I REALLY like the rear supported by the poles rather than the straps. HUGE difference in stability (at least it seems so shaking it in the yard :rof:) but I know it worked well on the generic boat I had before.

Here's a shot of the bimini fully opened:

img0350ug0.jpg

Back