• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Boat Hauling.

cooperider

OK everyone, a lot of you know, and many of you don't my day job is hauling soybean oil to food plants in great big UN-baffled tanks. It has become less and less profitable every year, because every time we get a higher load rate, it is great for a while, but then the lease on the truck is up and our new truck has a bigger payment. And the plant I run out of is gradually running my company out of there, so I can see that handwriting on the wall.
Anyway I stuck it out until I got my 10 years in and would be 100% vested in my retirement plan. It goes from 0% to 100% So I had to take it all the way to the end. I really don't want another trucking job, I have too much work to do in the shop.
Again, many of you know, and many of you don't, I build little boats out of my shop here on the north end of Bucyrus. I just paid big money to ship 3 of them to San Diego, I'd rather just start including a delivery fee in the price of the boats. This part is kind a no brainer here.

Here is the part I want to get your guys' input on. First I want to build some bigger boats, like a 16 and a 21. So I am going to want to buy a bigger truck to deliver those with. But in between deliveries and in between boat builds, I'd like to supplement my income moving some boats around for other people. Would there be enough interest in that for me to even bother? Or should I get rid of that big truck right now and move some boats?

I mean, I kind of know what I want to do, hauling boats would be a symbiotic business to be in, with me building them. So I don't think it will be a wrong decision. I mean, I'm going to have to make a move soon so this is the path I will probably take.

You will be competing with Frank Mole, I have no idea how busy he is, when I was looking at getting an old Entertainer from the Deep South up to the North West the price was too high. But for you there might be money going to and from Florida or maybe to the West coast? Lining up a return trip is always the hard part.

My two cents-

I’m all about finding new business opportunities but you’ll be a nomad waiting by the phone doing boat deliveries and when the economy recedes.....

Find another local/regional trucking job......you’ll spend more time home in your own bed and can concentrate on Persuader Boats vs being on the road looking for your next haul.

Good luck-

My two cents-

I’m all about finding new business opportunities but you’ll be a nomad waiting by the phone doing boat deliveries and when the economy recedes.....

Find another local/regional trucking job......you’ll spend more time home in your own bed and can concentrate on Persuader Boats vs being on the road looking for your next haul.

Good luck-
I don't think I was going to be quite that into it. But more like, knowing your boat needs to come here, I may have a boat going to Charleston, I can take mine down and bring yours back. Lots of boats coming in and out of the upholstery shops here in town. On Uship there was a Pulsare 2100 that needed to go from here to Florida, I have no idea who's it was tho. That kind of stuff.

The truck I was looking at buying was perfect for it, but because I overthought it, it's gone. So I will have to look for other options for trucks now.

You will be competing with Frank Mole, I have no idea how busy he is, when I was looking at getting an old Entertainer from the Deep South up to the North West the price was too high. But for you there might be money going to and from Florida or maybe to the West coast? Lining up a return trip is always the hard part.

Very true frank mole does a lot of east coast work .he’s hauled a boat for me and some friends .it might be smart to sell the rig now and downgrade to a 4 door diesel and do your hauling when needed with that .

Back