• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

CHECKMATE OWNERS RALLY 2018!!!!

If there’s a gathering it’s usually the 3rd weekend of July. Some years are more organized then others too!

I’m currently in the process of trying to figure out what is going on with the rally this year. We won’t be able to base it out of Grider Hill this year or anytime soon. They are going through a little bit of a restructuring phase and have sold all of their rental houseboats. Since we always use one as our home base, we are going to have to look elsewhere, which I’m currently doing. I went down to the lake for New Years and was hoping to talk to the folks at State Dock about hosting us, but they were closed for renovations until this coming Monday. State Dock’s facilities are nicer, but I know it will be much pricier than Grider. Hopefully I can get ahold of them this week and get some info. I’m also even considering another lake like Dale Hollow or even Norris. I know the info is usually set by now, and I apologize that it’s not. I know a lot of people need to put in for vacation time by this time of year, and as far as I see it, whatever happens this year, I will continue to have it on the same weekend, which as mentioned before is always the 3rd weekend in July, which this year is the 19-21. I’ll try to update as I get info, so please, bear with me. Thanks.

I’m currently in the process of trying to figure out what is going on with the rally this year. We won’t be able to base it out of Grider Hill this year or anytime soon. They are going through a little bit of a restructuring phase and have sold all of their rental houseboats. Since we always use one as our home base, we are going to have to look elsewhere, which I’m currently doing. I went down to the lake for New Years and was hoping to talk to the folks at State Dock about hosting us, but they were closed for renovations until this coming Monday. State Dock’s facilities are nicer, but I know it will be much pricier than Grider. Hopefully I can get ahold of them this week and get some info. I’m also even considering another lake like Dale Hollow or even Norris. I know the info is usually set by now, and I apologize that it’s not. I know a lot of people need to put in for vacation time by this time of year, and as far as I see it, whatever happens this year, I will continue to have it on the same weekend, which as mentioned before is always the 3rd weekend in July, which this year is the 19-21. I’ll try to update as I get info, so please, bear with me. Thanks.

If youre considering Dale Hollow check out Sunset marina, its owned by Tony Sloan. Great place, great restaurant with beer!, excellent campground (Obey River) right next store as well, plenty of transient slips too and its just 15-20 min from Grider. Its what Grider used to be. Just an idea.

If youre considering Dale Hollow check out Sunset marina, its owned by Tony Sloan. Great place, great restaurant with beer!, excellent campground (Obey River) right next store as well, plenty of transient slips too and its just 15-20 min from Grider. Its what Grider used to be. Just an idea.

I actually talked with them a couple of months ago. Sunset is by far my favorite marina on Dale Hollow. Bad thing is, they weren’t too excited about having us down there as they consider themselves a “family marina” and they enforce a 10 o’clock quiet time rule. That really doesn’t work well for our group, lol. I am going to talk to Eagle Cove Marina on Dale Hollow this week. They don’t really have much in the way of houseboats, but they have an awesome selection of cabins that are right down on the water and offer lots of slips. The cabins are also very reasonably priced. I’m kinda digging the idea of Dale Hollow for the smaller boats that like to come to the rally. I know a lot of those guys get beat up pretty bad on the lunch run cause Cumberland can get pretty rough especially right around State Dock. Dale Hollow shouldn’t be anywhere near as bad.

I actually talked with them a couple of months ago. Sunset is by far my favorite marina on Dale Hollow. Bad thing is, they weren’t too excited about having us down there as they consider themselves a “family marina” and they enforce a 10 o’clock quiet time rule. That really doesn’t work well for our group, lol. I am going to talk to Eagle Cove Marina on Dale Hollow this week. They don’t really have much in the way of houseboats, but they have an awesome selection of cabins that are right down on the water and offer lots of slips. The cabins are also very reasonably priced. I’m kinda digging the idea of Dale Hollow for the smaller boats that like to come to the rally. I know a lot of those guys get beat up pretty bad on the lunch run cause Cumberland can get pretty rough especially right around State Dock. Dale Hollow shouldn’t be anywhere near as bad.

Yea, we both love Sunset and the adjoining campground is just awesome! But I understand the Checkmate group has special needs 🍺😉
I think Dale Hollow will be a great place and everyone will enjoy it.

Ya'll come to tablerock...
Like 45 miles from one end to the other.
Can be a little rough in some spots but many smooth areas as well!
A few different restaurants for a "Poker Run"

One of my nices trips in the recent pass was a 3 nite stay on Norris at the Shang-ala (?) resort and marina. I’d gladly drive past Cumberland to boat on Norris.

Well, I hate to say it, but I don't think a rally is going to happen for 2019. Losing Grider as a host really sucks. I tried State Dock but they already have an event planned for that weekend and I'm not sure how Dale Hollow is going to work out. Plus, my heart just isn't into it this year. Hopefully it will be back for 2020.

Well, that’s to bad for everyone interested, fortunately I have my reservations made for The Boyne Thunder Run (as an observer of course) for the 2nd wkend of July it’s a often called the premier poker run of season. I’ll be enjoying my favorite waters of northern Michigan for the entire week of! I’m inviting everyone up!

One of my nices trips in the recent pass was a 3 nite stay on Norris at the Shang-ala (?) resort and marina. I’d gladly drive past Cumberland to boat on Norris.

It was Shanghai Marina. Nice place and the cabin Will rented next to the hotel was the perfect party spot.

I know there are very few decent (large enough to run fast, not crowded, etc) lakes in the OH/MI/IN area but what about an informal one day CM gathering later in the 019 season? Even early September time frame?

Just a thought-

Since it looks like the Rally will not be happening this year does anyone have any interest in meeting in IL/MO for a gather up. It doesn't have to be the third weekend and there are quiet a bit of options... Shelbyville Lake, Ozarks, Table Rock, or river runs are fun here around such as Grafton IL and St. Charles and have plenty of amenities as well.

The Rally at Lake Cumberland has always been a blast. It all started with a few people making a little plan. It turned into 5 or so houseboats being rented(6 bedrooms on most) ,Checkmate reps available all weekend with some swag, bands playing, the lodge fully booked, 20+ boats running hard and lots of laughter and new friendships. I highly recommend someone making the move to keep this going at other lakes . I no longer own any Checkmates but the memories will always be there. Was always something to look forward to. I hope others will step up and keep it going. Take care all.

Back