• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Hot Foot ??

jallen355

Looking to add a Hot Fot to my recently acquired 18' Exciter but not sure what length throttle cable I am going to need. The engine is a '89 150 Merc. Can someone help?

Look at where you are going to mount the hot foot. Then unhook the throttle cable from the controller and drop it down to the mounting location. Then measure the current cable. When you think you have your required length then add a foot. Its easier to hid a cable that is to long then trying to stretch a short one.

Looking to add a Hot Fot to my recently acquired 18' Exciter but not sure what length throttle cable I am going to need. The engine is a '89 150 Merc. Can someone help?

Got one for sale with more than enough cable for you! PM me and I can give you some details.

Attachments

• Jun23325.JPG
    Jun23325.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Jun23326.JPG
    Jun23326.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the advice 175! I did have the Quicksilver control taken apart yesterday evening trying to figure out why I couldn't get the center button to work to throttle the engine w/o engaging the tranny and had noticed the existing cable was marked "12 1/2'" I did kind of eye up the additional linkage that I might need to reach a pedal.

Alright, I'm still in the planning stage, but have the cable length figured out. Now for the installaton plan. I'm 6'2" and sitting in the seat it seems the best location for me might be up on top of the under bow storage floor, but I don't think that is going to proove to be the best overall spot for locating a hot foot. The little lady, for instance is only 5'4" tall and I'm sure that won't work for her.

I was thinking that mounting it on the floor just behind the storage shelf/under deck floor (what do you call that area, anyway??) but in order to mount it to the wood area of the floor, I'm either going to have to sit twisted to the left or use my left foot for throttling....NOT!!

My intitial thought pattern tells me to make a box, or braket out of aluminum for the pedal to sit on the floor more towards the right side. I'm SURE this has been an issue that many have encountered and I'd really like to see what some of you have come up with. Can some of you guys post some pics of you pedal setup and maybe let me in on your install?

Heres a pic of my land & sea foot throddle.Its the only one u can still use the hand throddle too! As your about to find out thats a handy little extra to have.(not being trap in your seat with your foot glued to the floor while just putting around,priceless.

I happen to mount mine on the left side It took about 2 seconds to get use to it. Its not like using the brake is going to confuse anyone.I thru bolted into the skiwell and ran the cable thru the floor and mounted it along the inside of the well and under the gas tank.Making for one hell of a clean installation I will say so my self.

I've been standing on it for about 10 yrs now and never a proplem with it.Being 6'2" not a proplem just mount where your comfortable.I'm 6'6" and I'm comfortable and the little lady has no difficulties reaching the peddle.I have a hard time keeping her out of the damn drivers seat most the time.

good luck!

Attachments

• Mvc-015s.jpg
    Mvc-015s.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 27
no hotfoot? no checkmate

my friend might not have hit the drawbridge and nearly killed 2 passengers w/ a foot. its a must. you can make any cable work. i wished there was a way to foot 2 merks. we put springs on the throttles on the powerhead so i dont have that to worry about that, along with kill switches, tachs, water pressure, passengers, hidden wake, and where im going at the same time. wonder how the feet would work with seperate foots. anybody know? were concerned about safety more than speed, cause we have slow boats:sssh: and anybody without a foot in their check aint getting the full potential from their machine. its a lifesaver, and i wouldnt be alive without it. anybody know how to control twins so i can hold my drink with one hand and steer with the other?:cheersthanks to the nofeedback steering i can do that already:lol: i noticed that newyork ronnie didnt have hyd steering and i was surprised. hate to start wiggling my boat a** at 100+mph. i felt the ocean in my tunnel last friday and ive not come down yet. ive got a dangerous pontoon boat and want to be safe. 85 check ench is sweet and tight. how can i bounce in the trough a little safer?:confused:

That is a clean install Merc. I still want to explore the feasibilty of mounting it "right foot accesible" I can see me putting it on the left and spending the day getting used to it and then dumping the Dually in the drink backing the trailer down to retrieve the boat...lol!!

I may be thinking too extravagantly, but I'm seeing a box/platform constructed and glassed into the area where the floor meets the storage shelf and over towards the right side where the wood floor meets the side of the hull as it starts it's rise.

Anybody else got any install pics of what they've come up with??

i installed mine on the right. my stock cable was plenty long enough. i would never dream of running a boat like mine without a hot foot.

Thanks for the reply, but I have to ask exactly HOW did you install it on the right? In my Exciter, if I installed it on the floor, as far to the right as I can, and not drill holes through the side of the hull, it would still be in the center, or even left of the centerline of the driver's seat. What am I missing? Did you mount yours up on top of the forward storage area?? Maybe that's the answer....

Cool sig pic, btw!!

Hot foot makes a slide plate that makes the foot front to back adjustable. Nice for different size people. I did not have room on the right to mount a foot. The hull is not right for that set up. The first time i mounted the foot,(prior to the overhaul) it was mounted on the left. The new rigging will be on the left also. There was just no good way to mount it on the right. I had to build a mount for it. The slide plate bolts to the glassed wood, and the foot mounts to it.
It took about a min. to get use to the gas on the left.

I've got my hands on a hot foot now. Found a great deal on one right here in town complete w/cable. My new seats won't be in until Friday, so I am just begining to mock things up. With the seat I have in place for testing purposes, it appears that mounting it on top of the storage deck as far back and to the right is very doable. I can adjust the seat all the way back in reach it quite comfortably. With the peddle elevated in that position, it seems to be alot more comfortable considering the near 90 degree angle of the peddle itself. I will weight until I get the actual seats that will be installed in the boat before deciding for sure.

Back