• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I Have an Addiction!

This is how you stuff a 21' boat inside a 20' garage! Had to install a hinged trailer tongue and push it in nose first for the time being...I need to slide the axles forward about 8" in order to back it in (due to my garage having step that's about 5' from the back wall). The tandem axle trailer makes everything much harder!!

Attachments

• 20140508_215121_LLS.jpg
    20140508_215121_LLS.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
Productive day...Pulled the Pro XB 250 power head off the Starflite. After 12 years of running I wanted to give it a little JP kind of love! It's going off to Diamond Marine to get massaged and freshened up! From what I've been told, these very limited production outboards from Mercury's high performance division already produce about 275hp!! I'm sure I'll see speeds in the 80's when done!

Attachments

• 20140519_195029.jpg
    20140519_195029.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20140519_195925.jpg
    20140519_195925.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20140519_195904.jpg
    20140519_195904.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 49
Had the motor broken down and undressed last night...dropped it off at Diamond Marine this morning in Fort Lauderdale where they will check all the tollerances to factory specs and hone/machine where they see needed. The number 6 cylinder was slightly scorched due to the oil gear stripping. It took 12 years for the oil gear to wear out...now I need to decide if I want to run the oil injection or go pre-mix......

Had the motor broken down and undressed last night...dropped it off at Diamond Marine this morning in Fort Lauderdale where they will check all the tollerances to factory specs and hone/machine where they see needed. The number 6 cylinder was slightly scorched due to the oil gear stripping. It took 12 years for the oil gear to wear out...now I need to decide if I want to run the oil injection or go pre-mix......

Pre mixing doesn't bother me. I downloaded an Pre-Mix App and never looked back. Better than worrying about the damn gear stripping.

HD

I think pre mixing is a pain in the arse but I always feel confident its getting oil. I've only been running older motors so that's part of my decision to premix.

Done plenty of both, the premix is more bother, and also creates more smoke, but also you get that very pleasant outboard smell at yes, a rougher idle. The Enchanter I purchased with a bad cylinder, simply had the fitting at the bottom of the small oil tank mounted on the engine crack, so went to premix after rebuild. Both kalugs22 and I are running the DFI's now with the oil injection and it is nice to put on 3 gallons of oil at a time. But that said, without any more knowledge of the oiling systems reliability than I have now, I would likely premix!!

Here's the internals of my Pro XB 250. Other than one piston that ran lean and a stripped oil gear everything looks really good! Looking forward to reassembly when the block comes back from Diamond Marine!

Attachments

• 20140529_175732.jpg
    20140529_175732.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20140529_175648.jpg
    20140529_175648.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140529_175800.jpg
    20140529_175800.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 53
Pressing the bearing off and on to replace the oil gear on the crank was a bit time consuming and a pain in the azz! I've reinstalled the gear but will be going to pre mixing my gas and oil to avoid any future failures. Next on the agenda will be installing the pistons and having all the injectors flowed out of precaution. Hopefully I'll get to it after work later this week or it will have to wait til next monday..

Back