• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Is Sunbrella worth it?

Needafunboat

Yeah, yeah another exciting boat cover post. I need a new cover for... 'uh something :sssh:. and I'm debating what to get. I want to get a custom fit cover. I'm looking at either sunbrella (~$600) or sharkskin, poly guard or prism (all around $400).

I've heard great things about sunbrella - haven't heard much about the other stuff.

Anyone have a brand of cover or material they like / don't like? Thanks!

My cockpit cover is sunbrella. Very thick, heavy, waterproof really nice.
My full cover is some sort of canvas. It was custom made and fits perfect but its not water proof. Water resistant and it could use another coat of repellent spray but not sunbrella. I use both covers so the inside doesn't get wet and the boat is shaded. When, if I ever have another made it will diffently be sunbrella and go all the way down the sides. My bottom stripes fade since there not covered.

sunbrella it awesome stuff! of course its all i have experience with so i can't comment on any others. i had a custom full cover made for my last boat and the upholsterer who is a 30yr vet only uses sunbrella. he has used others in the past and he says "everyone else tries and fails! sunbrella is the only way to go if you don't want to be pissed off later" i took him for his word and was very happy.

Walmart or meijer boat covers kick azz!!! I covered mine with the custom sunbrella cockpit and the entire boat with the cheap cover. Worked great for me!

I believe mine is a Polyguard. I think it was under $300 and it works well. Water beads right up and runs off. Wait for Black Friday sales if you can. I can look in my files and get the info and where I got it from. It was from iBoats or Wholesale Marine I think. Its a semi-custom one and fits pretty well.

John

I've got a sunbrella cockpit cover and a full cover from Walmart that seems to work, not sure of the make. However I would like to have a full custom cover made by Sunbrella, that's the best on the market right now.:thumb:

My opinion is to fork out the $ for the sunbrella. I had a custom mooring cover made for my second boat (2100 LD) for $800. Most of the cost was the fabric. I just had a bimini made for my 2000BR out of sunbrella by Wildman also. No complaints about either. You just can't beat sunbrella!

My first boat (Sportfire) had some knockoff fabric...Top Gun or something like that and it was a rough material and didn't contour the shape of the boat very well.

I sold the mooring cover this summer to one of the board members. I beleive he is very happy with the purchase.

I see some of you are using two covers. I was told a long time ago not to do this because it doesn't breath as well, traps moisture and promotes mold/mildew growth both in the boat and between the covers.

I see some of you are using two covers. I was told a long time ago not to do this because it doesn't breath as well, traps moisture and promotes mold/mildew growth both in the boat and between the covers.

This was a concern, but I've been doing it for years with no problem. It might help that I have moisture absorbers in the boat for dampness and the funky smell in the cabin.

The sunbrella repels water very nicely. So the outer cover shouldn't allow much water penetration. Perhaps both covers might end up with moisture between them but I have never experienced any mold or smell issues.

Go sunbrella don't look back...:thumb:

My full mooring cover is a Sunbrella and when it gets replaced, it will be replaced with Sunbrella.

This was a concern, but I've been doing it for years with no problem. It might help that I have moisture absorbers in the boat for dampness and the funky smell in the cabin.

I do it as well and haven't had any problems, plus my boat sits under a carport. The reason for the full cover is that I use it more for a dust cover and to keep the sun off at various times of the day.

Over the winter my jet skiis sit with their covers on and a blue tarp on top of that. No mold or mildew problems.

weathermax?

Thanks Guys!

I think sunbrella is the way to go then. Has anyone tried that weathermax stuff? Same price and of course claimed to be even better. For $600+, I'm inclined to stay with the proven stuff. I mean what more do you really need from a cover?

I use a walmart cover on the old boat right now. It was good for the first year but now leaks a bit on the seams - I sprayed it tonight so hopefully it will be better. Last winter I used that cover and strung a rope from bow to stern about 1' above the windshield. I put a 24' poly tarp over that. It allowed air to flow and shed snow pretty well. I brushed it off after any big snow and it worked really well.

Sunbrella it is...

I have a sunbrella cockpit cover, its amazing. I was in the boat in a downpour with the cover on it and not a drop of water got in. We also have a sunDURA full cover which keeps water out very well too. Water could pool on it and not get in, and I do use them both at the same time.

NO WATER ALLOWED IN THE BOAT! EVER!

Back