• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New 26' OB Checkmate...

I'm still dieing to see what this new 26' Convincor is gonna look like!! Being an I/O guy yes i'm a little bit more interested in the car motor version, but either way i can't wait to see it. I thought they were supposed to have the first hull already popped by now? Low $70,000's with the 502 is not a bad price, a little outta my range but still not bad!!

funny that there was no announcement here! youd think so.

what is the weight of a 300, seems like two of them wouldnt be that much more than that of a BBC, maybe im wrong, hell, i dont even know what any of them really weigh.

but 300 on a 26 ftr seems like itd be a little shy on power and thus speed.

Can't wait to see the new model. Don't understand not having a twin setup option. Its been done on the 25' Convincors.

Im pretty sure that the weight of a 502 and bravo setup would be slightly more than twin outboards......although the weight distribution would be a little different with them hanging in another zip code, but it can handle it. Heck, 23 enforcers had twins! Only 300 hp on a convincor is gonna be slower than what most want to run for 60-70k.....

Mixed

This announcement had me :drool: when I read it would have an OB model. Only a single 300 though ? I would look into a bare hull and rig it up with twins. Might be a bit of a dog with a single 300. Right ?

Mike :cheers:

I think the single OB 26 is an interesting idea with the maturing of the 4 stroke high hp/ torque OBs such as the Merc 350sci (and believe me, I will always love my 2 strokes!).

There is a guy(Toffen) on S&F that just rigged a single Merc 350SCI on a 25' Phantom and is running over 80 mph. To me that is pretty impressive. Granted the 25' Phantom is a low profile V...but still impressive.

Here is the thread of the rigging job:
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...5-and-its-new-Verado-350-sci&highlight=toffen

And a video:
http://vimeo.com/28111717

If Checkmate can get their new 26' to run 75+ mph with a single OB and it is a good looking boat......I think they'll sell some boats!

Last edited:
Yeah, the only reason I can see not offering twins is the weight of the new motors compared to the old 2.5/2.4... nevermind the 4 stokes weight. Actually, the new twins are about the same weight as a 502/bravo package from what I've read. Thats alot of weight hanging out back on a boat that is 26 ft.

Also, I really like how there was no mention about it here.. I don't get that at all :( (not that I'm a loyal owner anymore)

Also, I really like that Phantom with the 350sci.. awesome!!! That hull has some great lines.

Interesting - first I've heard about this.

Thanks for sharing the link.

-Chris

Nice to dream, but would anyone realistically buy it with the 350?? Isn't it like close to $30K rigged?

I'd be looking at 2 300XS's on another boat JMO.

Nice to dream, but would anyone realistically buy it with the 350?? Isn't it like close to $30K rigged?

I'd be looking at 2 300XS's on another boat JMO.

If I am dumping money like that into a motor for a 26' boat, I am putting a 525 Blue Motor in that biatch! I know the Blue Motor is more expensive, but at that point whats another $15K?

HD

If I am dumping money like that into a motor for a 26' boat, I am putting a 525 Blue Motor in that biatch! I know the Blue Motor is more expensive, but at that point whats another $15K?

HD

Another good reason why until they bring it down significantly (never happen), you'll hardley ever see this engine in this application.

Only ones buying it are the multiple engine offshore CC's desiring outboard range and $$ out the rearend to spend.

MERC JUST TEASES US!! :brickwall:

There is a guy(Toffen) on S&F that just rigged a single Merc 350SCI on a 25' Phantom and is running over 80 mph. To me that is pretty impressive. Granted the 25' Phantom is a low profile V...but still impressive.

I followed that guy's thread from last year. I think he was already doing ~76 with a 300, so he only got a couple more MPH. This falls in line with a bass boat test I read somewhere. Just a couple more MPH between the 300XS and 350sci. They assume it had to do with the extra weight and thicker lower unit. As you said, the Phantom has a low profile, as well as a narrower beam than a Checkmate and is basically a racing boat.

Given that a 2400 with a 300XS runs low 70's, I'd assume a 26 with a 350 would struggle to reach 65.

Smitty, you might be right but I still think high 60s to 70 if the boat is not HEAVY.

Back