• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New Mantex stringers in Checkmate Pulsare

Jup,

The restoration looks great, Jup! How much weight do you think the boat lost with the mantex floor and stringers? Also, how did you move the seat bases closer? Did the inner seat bolts not hit the tank?

Good luck-

SCT said:
Jup,

The restoration looks great, Jup! How much weight do you think the boat lost with the mantex floor and stringers? Also, how did you move the seat bases closer? Did the inner seat bolts not hit the tank?

Good luck-
I'm going to guess the weight savings to be 200 lbs or so. There is no longer any foam under the floor and the water saturated ply that checkmate used under the tank has been removed and replaced with PVC pipe for drainage instead. That alone saved a good bit of weight. There is enough room between the floor and the tank for clearance of any bolts that may protrude from the seat pedestal. The aluminum plates glassed into the floor are much wider than the pedestal so I have the ability to retap and move the pedestal if needed.

I'm probably going to build a custom ski-style locker door using 3/4" Starboard if I can find the aluminum Z molding to drop the door into.

Hey Jup, did you ever make this happen? I've got my floor and stringers stripped and am going back up with all coosa board (composite). I am looking to incorporate a ski locker of sorts in the floor, as well. I've looked around at whats out there in the way of hatches and haven't found anything I really care for...at least for the price. I'm inclined to build something, too. I am also looking at starboard for my rear bench design and building the hatch from it sound like it might not be a bad idea. The aluminum molding you've mentioned may be the problem, however. Did you ever find anything? If you did make one out of 3/4" Starboard, is it strong enough to walk on w/o flexing like a trampoline and would you do it again?

mantex stringers?

I have the patterns cut. I am planning on using birch plywood for the stringers, seat boxes and braces. How would I find the mantex material or any other suggested composite material? Is it that much better than properly done ply?

I have the patterns cut. I am planning on using birch plywood for the stringers, seat boxes and braces. How would I find the mantex material or any other suggested composite material? Is it that much better than properly done ply?

I would try Merritt Marine Supply. Even with Ply...boats flex, glass gets brittle, things begin to deteriorate and if water seeps in from the smallest crack it will begin to destroy the exposed wood. With the high density PVC coring (Mantex) you'll never have to worry again!

Hey Jup, did you ever make this happen? I've got my floor and stringers stripped and am going back up with all coosa board (composite). I am looking to incorporate a ski locker of sorts in the floor, as well. I've looked around at whats out there in the way of hatches and haven't found anything I really care for...at least for the price. I'm inclined to build something, too. I am also looking at starboard for my rear bench design and building the hatch from it sound like it might not be a bad idea. The aluminum molding you've mentioned may be the problem, however. Did you ever find anything? If you did make one out of 3/4" Starboard, is it strong enough to walk on w/o flexing like a trampoline and would you do it again?

I found a pre-fab teak mini ski locker on EBAY. It was the perfect size to install forward of the fuel tank!

Attachments

• Apr19284.JPG
    Apr19284.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 155
I found a pre-fab teak mini ski locker on EBAY. It was the perfect size to install forward of the fuel tank!

I've been looking there but none have shown up yet. Was that a full size hatch you cut down? Looks cool and I'm sure it's handy, too. I'm looking for several ways to add storage while I'm redoing to floor.

Super job on your work your hired if I ever need stringer repair.

My question is will the new stringers flex. Wood stringers will flex with the boat pro-longing stress cracks. With your new stringers are they to stiff to let the boat flex enough causeing stress cracks.

I would just like to know I am not knocking your work just never replaced stringers.

I've been looking there but none have shown up yet. Was that a full size hatch you cut down? Looks cool and I'm sure it's handy, too. I'm looking for several ways to add storage while I'm redoing to floor.

The ski locker came that way, I did not cut anything down. Do a search on EBAY under "teak locker", "ski Locker", etc. You may find something....

Ironically, I found a teak full-size ski hatch/frame asy. on Ebay this afternoon for $34.50 in Joisey and have it on the way. Another piece to the puzzle.

Super job on your work your hired if I ever need stringer repair.

My question is will the new stringers flex. Wood stringers will flex with the boat pro-longing stress cracks. With your new stringers are they to stiff to let the boat flex enough causeing stress cracks.

I would just like to know I am not knocking your work just never replaced stringers.
lol

Yes, there is flex is the Mantex. It's been used extensively in big Offshore High performance boats for years now and you know what kind of punishment they go through!!! It's a great material...you can't compress it, it doesn't absorb water, it's lighter than wood, it can be drilled, glassed, bonded....and can never rot!

Back