• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Official Press Release-Checkmate Marine President Begins Blogging

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Checkmate Marine President
Begins Blogging on Company Website

Bucyrus, OH (October 1, 2009) -- Checkmate Marine, Inc., a well-known manufacturer of performance powerboats, has launched a new blog on their website at www.checkmatepowerboats.net/presidents_blog.html

Checkmate's President, Doug Smith, will pen his own blog on various boating topics while offering his insights on the powerboating industry. Look for additional topics along the way, entertaining customers and boating enthusiasts alike.

This month, Doug blogged this question to his customers: If Checkmate offered, would you be interested in a service of refurbishing your Checkmate boat? Over the past few years, Checkmate has refurbished a handful of boats for long time Checkmate Marine customers. It's a service offering company executives have talked about internally as something they wanted to do, but they had never promoted it to their core customer base. Say's Doug, Maybe your boat needs new seats, lights, trimwork, carpet, or updated gauges? For engine work, we can offer installation or rework (sorry, no engine repair). What do you think? Immediately after his blog, customers responded to the Forum section on the website with positive comments. It looks like the overwhelming response has been yes, I'd definitely have my boat refurbished. Checkmate Marine encourages feedback from customers on what and how the company can do to better serve their extremely loyal following.

In addition to the President's blog, customers can subscribe to the RSS Feed function recently added to the blog section of the website. Simply clicking on the RSS feed button and subscribing to the site allows customers the opportunity to receive files sent to their inbox containing new blog posts from Doug Smith.

About Checkmate:

Checkmate Marine Inc. designs and builds a complete line of custom, high performance and family runabout speed boats that are renowned for premium performance and quality. Each Checkmate boat is constructed using the highest quality materials and 100% hands-on methods in Checkmate's boatbuilding workshops located in Bucyrus, Ohio. For more information, contact Checkmate Marine Inc., 3691 St. Rt. 4 N. Bucyrus, OH 44820. Phone: 419-562-3881. Or on the web at www.checkmatepowerboats.net

I might not agree with everything Doug Smith has done, but I think this is a step in the right direction...

gets a :bigthumb: from me!

It is interesting, it would be nice to have a factory refreshed boat. For me the many of the services they listed are things i'd likely do myself(gauges, carpet, trim pieces, even seats and motor replacement) I'd want the glass work/wood rot replacement stuff when my boat needs it, and then I'd probably hate the price. I'm guessing price wise they may have trouble competing with Lakeside/ or others but I'm sure many would pay a premium for the factory to work on their boat.

Its great to see him blog, and I like that they are trying new things.

But I'm going to pull a "BIGRED" here, It can't really be Doug Smith, the blogs werent' written in ALLCAPS!!!!

:poke:

I think the the fact they are willing to entertain the restoration field says two things - How bad the boating market is and very good business plan to try to sirvive during these tough times. Kudo's Doug for expoloring other markets.:thumb:

other boat manufactures are doing the same thing to try to survive.....gibson is now offering the same service....Rob

This is twofold, number 1 it retains employees who might otherwise might be laid off in these tuff time, and number 2 it offers a service to those who cant afford a new boat or who want their old one refurbed but dont have the time or resources to do it. I give Doug credit for going outside the box on this!:thumb: Ron (justincase)

I think it's a great idea! There's a lot of great older models that people would like to keep going. Starflight, 183 Persuader, Pulse 170, Sportfire, you name it. Lots of great old models that still look great but maybe need carpet/floor/vinyl or even gel coat stripes that have faded.

I think it's a great idea. Chris do you think this forum can post a permanent link to the blog, maybe in the Main Menu. :bigthumb:

As far as I knew, they have been doing the restoring/refurbishing thing for at least a few years. When I first stopped over to talk to someone before cutting into mine, I was told that they refurbish older boats but if I was interested, do it soon because they get busy towards the off-season. Either way, I think its great they offer it.

I too think this is a great idea. As stated, if it keeps the employees employed and the doors open then that is good for the company. I can't afford a new boat right now, but I could possibly afford a re-rig of my '96 convincor. I would really like to have some performance and styling updates.

I agree there is nothing wrong with re-inventing your self or preforming service that you wouldn't normally do. Survival of the fittest, look at all the companies that went under because they didn't or couldn't adapt to where the market went. A wealthy old timer once told me. There is money to be made in any economy you just have to figure out how to do it and never give up.

So hats off.

MKHammer

I think it's a great idea. Chris do you think this forum can post a permanent link to the blog, maybe in the Main Menu. :bigthumb:
That page has an RSS Feed link on it, you can click that link to subscribe to any updates that happen on that page. Just click the link and Subscribe.

That page has an RSS Feed link on it, you can click that link to subscribe to any updates that happen on that page. Just click the link and Subscribe.
Doug also has a personal blog here, perhaps he would also like to post these articles it in his personal blog. Members could then give feedback on the varous topics.

I know he has been given a bit of a rough ride here on some topics from time to time, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there in case he's interested. :)

-Chris

Back