• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Vortec Motor

keith4216

Opinions on a 06 vortec in a 2500hd?
How many miles are these motors good for generally?
Anything else good or bad?

6.0 is a pretty good motor and should go 200k + when we'll maintained. Good power and the mileage was usually around 12 mpg on my last one. Pulls better than the 5.3. The trans is usually the weak link but never had a problem when I sold it at 190k.

Last edited:
Which engine is it? I believe GM offered the 6.0 and the 8.1 around that time. Either is a good engine, plenty of low end torque but won't win and races in stock form.

I have 8.1 and Allison in my 2500HD. Very thirsty but it is a workhorse. I have 6.0 in the Denali with over 210,000, runs great no oil leaks or oil usage. Cant go wrong with either one IMO.:)

Back