• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Which prop works best on 2100 pulsare?

boatman4021

I have been playing with some different props and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation. I have a 2100 pulsare long deck with a merc. 225 efi, and 12" set back. So far, the best is a 25" tempest. It turn's 5800rpm at 72mph on gps. Thanks, boatman

I have been playing with some different props and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation. I have a 2100 pulsare long deck with a merc. 225 efi, and 12" set back. So far, the best is a 25" tempest. It turn's 5800rpm at 72mph on gps. Thanks, boatman

Sounds kinda slow for that setup. See if you can try some other 25" Tempest Plus props. They don't have very good quality control at Merc in the prop department, and no 25" Tempest Plus will run like the other............
You're other option is to spend money on it at Boger props to gain a few mph.

BOATMAN, I'M ALSO RUNNING A 225 XRI MERC WITH 7.5" OF SETBACK. WITH A DAH CHOPPER 26 I'VE ALSO RAN 72MPH GPS AT 5800RPM. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM FOR NOT GETTING ANY FASTER HAS BEEN CHINE WALKING; IT SEEMS THAT I'M ALWAYS BACKING OFF AT THOSE SPEEDS.

Chine walking:

1) Steering loose at engine. Should be no play in steering when you grab the back of the motor and move it side to side.

2) Rubber motor mounts. Put solid motor mounts in top and bottom to get a 'on rails' steering quality.

3) Engine mounted too low.

4) Seat time.

All cures for chine walking. My Pulsare had the solid mounts, worked prop, raised engine height (propshaft 3" below the pad) and a tight dual cable steering. Zero chine walk at any speed. GPS 74.5 mph with the bow cover on and 10" setback RapidJack. 23" Tempest at 6400 rpms.

I know a bow cover on my boat made a huge difference with regard to walking.

What little bit of chine walk I have is know problem. I can drive through it. I ran this same prop on a 200efi with fiber reeds, tuner, exhaust can removed, and a Bob's nose cone at 79mph on my old pulsare. It's even the same gps speedo. Sure wish I could come close to that with the 225. The 200 also had 13 1/2" of set back.

cmfargo had a 96 2100 bow rider 225 promax and 10" of setback, dont know which prop, he ran 78 on gps. Call him 701-277-9612 ask for Dave. He would tell ypu what he was running.

Chine Walk, agree with some other

per the chine walk here's was my solution, solid as a rock
1). Bow cover definitely helps
2). Hydraulic steering has like no play, or if dual cable make sure there's no play.
3). 3" below the pad with 10" of setback
4). Massaged 25" Tempest prop (best all around, not the fastest, but can wakeboard at 18, ski at 36, and top out at 71, without changing props
5). Bob's machine SOLID mounts on the LOWER only. You do not have to go through the hassle of pulling powerhead to replace the uppers. Plus a motor with SOLID mounts top and bottom, you feel every engine revolution through the boat. Past 2 boats, I have done the lower mounts only and it has stablized enough to virtually eliminate all chine walking

If it starts to walk, tuck the motor down a touch, execute a slight turn, start to straight, trim, and throttle up, in essence seat time

Chine walking and porpoising while pulling tubers. Trim tabs needed?

New to the forum, but long time Checkmate owner. Had a 79 Trimate since new and obviously before the internet... Upgraded to a 2005 2100 Pulsare. It has Hydraylic steering, electric / adjustable Jack Plate and a 250 Merc Verado and no trim tabs.

Boat chine-walks very easy (55ish on GPS). I usually just touch the trim or back out of the throttle to control,but am nowhere near some of the reported speeds on the forum and understand the seat time issue. What is the best position for the Jack Plate up, down or middle? Never had one before.

Last night tried pulling my teenage kids on a tube and it just porpoised until i trimmed it full down and got above 27 on GPS. It was a full fuel load and the three in the back weighing in about 375. It is an LD not a bow rider

Should I consider trim tabs to control the porpoising?

Your help for that boat is raising the motor a hole or two on transom or jack plate. Sounds like the engine is too low for your current set up. Check out some of the current set ups on the forum.

I'm not sure why Jaja responded to a thread that dates back to 2005??? Strange to see this thread back to the top..To sum things up since my last post on this thread..when I had my 1995 black/silverflake Pulsare 2100 I increased the setback from 7.5" to 13.5", swapped out the hyd. steering ram for a SeaStar Pro 5345 with 1500psi hoses and changed props to a Mercury Trophy Plus 26. Speed increased from a chinewalking 72mph to a solid 77mph GPS with full tank of gas and two adults...

RubyRedVette,

On my 2000BR with 10" of setback I'd get porpoising at times when slower...just lower the Jackplate and tuck in the trim and it will plant the bow firmly in the water. Mine was also a BR witch allowed more weight up front with pax. All the weight in the back isn't helping you for the porpoising. For higher speed stability the best thing I did was the same as Jupiter Pulsare: switched from the 3 blade Tempest Plus to the 4 Blade Trophy Plus.

Sam

Keith 4216 / Upper Chesapeake

I'm not sure why Jaja responded to a thread that dates back to 2005???

Maybe because there was a new post from a new guy and any helpful info is good no matter how old a post.:D

I noticed going through the responses you are in Upper Chesapeake... I still have a place near Cabin John Cove, but only get back once or twice a year. If you are close let me know would love to grab a beer. I sure do miss the warmer water...John

Same set up

I run a 12" Hydro Dynamics rapid jack and I changed to a 27 Mirage plus and now get 78 on gps with a 225 XS Pro 2012 where I got right at 70 with the 25 tempest. I had to do a little weight shifting to get it to stop chine walking but now she flies.

Hey Wisconsin

Great first post and welcome aboard.

Sounds like you're getting your Mate dialed in nicely.

Back