• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Enforcer Paint Resto

My boat is covered in Interlux Pre-Kote right now, and will be putting brightside on when the weather breaks. I rolled the primer on, and Im wanting to spray the topcoat.....

I'm using the same stuff!!! Pre-kote, fire red, black and white. How did your boat turn out with rolling the primer/pre-kote?

Also I was quoted $3500.00 to spray the boat and that's with me doing the prep work.:shakehead:
My quote was way cheaper than that :thumb: LMK if I can help, its cold as polar bear balls up here:lol:

I have seen the boat and like the bottom red better. It is very bright and rich red color. It really stands out where as the top red looks old and dirtier (not that your boat is dirty:eek:)

My quote was way cheaper than that :thumb: LMK if I can help, its cold as polar bear balls up here:lol:

I have seen the boat and like the bottom red better. It is very bright and rich red color. It really stands out where as the top red looks old and dirtier (not that your boat is dirty:eek:)

I'm home all this week!! I'll be calling for pointers, however you're welcome to come down for a few days!!:thumb: I know what you mean, wasn't sold on orange/redish (rorange)color the previous owner had on it.:shakehead:

Here's the paint, primer, thinner, hvlp gun and air compressor I'm using.

Attachments

• DSCN2837.jpg
    DSCN2837.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN2838.jpg
    DSCN2838.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN2836.jpg
    DSCN2836.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 32
Will that compressor be able to keep up with spraying duties? It may not have enough volume to keep up with that gun.

All I want for Christmas,

is to be left alone while I work on the boat.:thumb: If you come by you can shut up and help, unless you want to talk boats.

I can't believe your getting away with working on the boat over Christmas. I love red boats and I'm green with envy. You've really put me in the Christmas spirt.

is to be left alone while I work on the boat.:thumb: If you come by you can shut up and help, unless you want to talk boats.

I can't believe your getting away with working on the boat over Christmas. I love red boats and I'm green with envy. You've really put me in the Christmas spirt.

I have a very understanding wife!! :D She likes diamonds I like boats!!:banana: Seriously, She would rather me work on the boat or around the house than be in a bar somewhere. I actually do alot of family stuff you guys don't see or hear about.

That's what I modeled mine after. Except I installed Finney wind flaps. I didn't permanently fill the windshield bolt holes though. I just plugged them with plastic button plugs.

I like the way the Enforcer looks without the windshield, but for family purposes the windshield goes back on.

I have a very understanding wife!! :D She likes diamonds I like boats!!:banana: Seriously, She would rather me work on the boat or around the house than be in a bar somewhere. I actually do alot of family stuff you guys don't see or hear about.

If you didn't do all the family stuff, she likely would be alot less understanding.
I think we have similar situations, but I still can't get time for the boat over Christmas, even with the diamonds. On or around the house now that's a different story.

I got all the sanding done today, probably go over the boat once more. I used some finishing putty to fill in a few spots. I still need to pull the boat out and wash it down. Tomorrow it's suppose to rain all day so I got other stuff to work on. I'm also thinking about removing the anti skid stuff on the floor and roll gel coat in its place. For now I need to finish one think at the time. Here's some pictures from today.

Attachments

• DSCN2843.jpg
    DSCN2843.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN2844.jpg
    DSCN2844.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN2845.jpg
    DSCN2845.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 35
more pictures

Attachments

• DSCN2846.jpg
    DSCN2846.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2847.jpg
    DSCN2847.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2848.jpg
    DSCN2848.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
I forgot to mention that the Enforcer is alot bigger when I started sanding.:shakehead: Oh and double the amount of sandpaper, had to go buy more yesterday. I'm using 220 and 320 grit on a DA sander which is what Interlux recommends for prep work.

Hey cmpulse170.....

Are you planning on retaining a stripe when you spray.... I was wanting to stripe when when I do my topcoat, but am a bit unsure of where each color is going to go, and how it will all turn out. Seeing that I wont be using clear, I was worried about the edges of the stripes...

I'm using the same stuff!!! Pre-kote, fire red, black and white. How did your boat turn out with rolling the primer/pre-kote?

Not bad at all.. I found out that the roll/roll method worked better for me with more consistent results vs a roll/tip. Ive had ALOT of experience working with rollers vs brushes. So hand me a slim jim and let me go at something. I actually used the white foam shorty rollers and turned out great.

Sanded ready to go
August2011069.jpg
First coat Roll/Tip (you can see the edge of start/stop)
August2011074.jpg
Second Coat sanded then Roll/Roll (this is where it currently sits)
Sept2011039.jpg
Sept2011033.jpg

The hull bottom is actually ROLLED gel coat also. Alot of wetsanding but it came out nice. Yes, Its a 1972 Sidewinder 18SS

Hey cmpulse170.....

Are you planning on retaining a stripe when you spray.... I was wanting to stripe when when I do my topcoat, but am a bit unsure of where each color is going to go, and how it will all turn out. Seeing that I wont be using clear, I was worried about the edges of the stripes...

I'll retain the striping, probably not what it looks like now but close. Once all the striping is done I'll wet sand and buff to remove the edge. You could use vinyl pinstriping to hide the edge. Or you could start with a color tape the rest of the boat up. Once that's dried tape the previous color and add another color next to it. That should butt the colors together without having an edge.

Not bad at all.. I found out that the roll/roll method worked better for me with more consistent results vs a roll/tip. Ive had ALOT of experience working with rollers vs brushes. So hand me a slim jim and let me go at something. I actually used the white foam shorty rollers and turned out great.

Sanded ready to go
August2011069.jpg
First coat Roll/Tip (you can see the edge of start/stop)
August2011074.jpg
Second Coat sanded then Roll/Roll (this is where it currently sits)
Sept2011039.jpg
Sept2011033.jpg

The hull bottom is actually ROLLED gel coat also. Alot of wetsanding but it came out nice. Yes, Its a 1972 Sidewinder 18SS

That turned out great!!! I went with the roll and roll as well, it worked much better than the roll and tip.

Back